Tattoos and the service industry

I’m curious if any of you have visible tattoos and how your clients respond to them. I have tattoos all the way up both arms and one leg. All of my tattoos were done in a decent shop and I dont have any on my hands or neck. I have never had a noticeable negative response due to my tattoos in my years as a house painter(15) or my time as a window cleaner. But earlier this year, working as a server in a new hip local restaurant I had a guy tell me my tattoos were repulsive and he refused to look at me while I attempted to serve him.

Have you all had any negative feedback to you or your crewmates tattoos or overall appearance?

Some will some won’t

I have sleeves, on my legs and arms. My neck is tattooed all the way around, chest, torso and back, couple on my head, and a small one on my face, hands, knuckles and feet as well.

I’ve only ever had one negative response to my tattoos, and that was before I started my own company and was still working for a window cleaning company prior to my business.

If you speak intelligently, confidently, and are professional, then tattoos should be irrelevant. I know my customers talk about mine with me on occasion. I also wear shorts in the summer months so there’s no hiding anything I have on me.

They were more shocked this year when I came back with a beard and a head of hair than anything. Prior to that I always had a shaved head and no beard.

1 Like

I dont have any and I would like my employees to not have any… but lets be honest… in todays culture its almost impossible to find employees who dont have any.

1 Like

I don’t think I would hire someone covered in tattoos. I don’t have any nor do I have a problem with them. But this business is about image and the areas I have worked in and want to get into may not be into the full body art. Also face tattoos make my think the person may have been to jail or prison
That last sentence has no tact but couldn’t think of a tactful way of saying it.

Our rule is, if they can’t be covered, you can’t be hired.

My son works for our family carpet cleaning business. He is covered with tattoos. Most customers love him and we have never had a single complaint about his appearance.

Mine are all covered.

Had a guy with sleeves. More took the time to communicate how cute they were and how great he was than ever complained.

buddy in the industry had a guy with them all over his body including many on his face. I questioned him on how clients felt. Like stated above apparently this individual was intelligent, well spoken, worked hard and smiled alot. buddy said he was the most requested tech and had the most compliments.

If I had to chose between an individual with ink or one who smoked I’ll take the inked one everytime

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I think most of our customers ( mostly conservative and upper income ) would pause if I sent a guy there that was totally covered. They must be able to be covered to work for my company. A totally covered person still gives the visual impression of rebel, free spirit. Even in a uniform, its gonna be the very first thing that most people focus on. They then have to decide, is this guy ( gal ) just artistic or do they represent something else. Why would I subject my customer base to have to sort that out in their head ( the first impression ! ) ? I understand it being your son presents a different challenge for you and I appreciate that.
Just my thoughts and what we have experienced.

Just cause someone is all inked up doesn’t mean there not nice people , nor does it mean they are incapable of doing good work
The problem is there are superficial people out there that will judge before they get s chance to know you.

Do you really think someone is going to tell you to your face I’m not using you again or we didn’t use you Cause of the tattoos
Sure you hear about the non superficial people who say ya that guy was really nice an he did a great job I would like to have him back.

Also because you have tattoos doesn’t make you personable there are guys with tats that don’t talk an aren’t as personable as others. So what is that impression there leaving.

With my business model I do all the talking to the customer my guys do work so there sometimes isn’t time for them to show there good people , so there impression is the guy with all he tats if you go to a house with a crew of guys … What we are all going to sit down an have coffee an let them get to know ya.
If your the business owner with tats more of a chance to set that first impression, but how is the guy or guys that work for me going to do it.
People will judge not everyone but some will

I expected a negative feed back and I have never even had 1 bad responce. My son is very friendly maybe that is why it works so well. He does mostly residential in retirement community and all of the feedback has been positive. I think most eveyone has gotten used to the tatoo craze. I would not let that stop me from hiring a heavily tatooed employee.

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2016 at 9:47 AM

To: jimmccormick@mail.com

Subject: [Window Cleaning Resource] [Conversation] Tattoos and the service industry WDWBrass Squeegee

January 4

Unfortunately, I think most of our customers ( mostly conservative and upper income ) would pause if I sent a guy there that was totally covered. They must be able to be covered to work for my company. A totally covered person still gives the visual impression of rebel, free spirit. Even in a uniform, its gonna be the very first thing that most people focus on. They then have to decide, is this guy ( gal ) just artistic or do they represent something else. Why would I subject my customer base to have to sort that out in their head ( the first impression ! ) ? I understand it being your son presents a different challenge for you and I appreciate that.

Just my thoughts and what we have experienced.</p>

To respond, reply to this email or visit the topic.

Previous Replies

DaveYogiEpic Squeegee

January 4

Mine are all covered.

Had a guy with sleeves. More took the time to communicate how cute they were and how great he was than ever complained.

buddy in the industry had a guy with them all over his body including many on his face. I questioned him on how clients felt. Like stated above apparently this individual was intelligent, well spoken, worked hard and smiled alot. buddy said he was the most requested tech and had the most compliments.

If I had to chose between an individual with ink or one who smoked I'll take the inked one everytime

Beebee649New Member

January 4

My son works for our family carpet cleaning business. He is covered with tattoos. Most customers love him and we have never had a single complaint about his appearance.

mshramekBrass Squeegee

January 4

Our rule is, if they can't be covered, you can't be hired.

aviloriaSilver Squeegee

January 4

I don't think I would hire someone covered in tattoos. I don't have any nor do I have a problem with them. But this business is about image and the areas I have worked in and want to get into may not be into the full body art. Also face tattoos make my think the person may have been to jail or prison

That last sentence has no tact but couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it.</p>

Kyle_StaffordBrass Squeegee

January 4

I dont have any and I would like my employees to not have any........ but lets be honest... in todays culture its almost impossible to find employees who dont have any.

To respond, reply to this email or visit the topic.

To stop receiving notifications for this particular topic, click here. To unsubscribe from these emails, change your user preferences.

Just thought of this. Jan 1st we went out of a yearly celebration dinner. I let the woman decide where we eat as she likes to get all dressed up in such. This year she selected one of the finest dining places in our state. Chef’s come from the whitehouse etc etc.

We had a lovely time, laughed at the pricing and our waiter had sleeve ink.

I’ll say if given the choice I’d prefer no tats, but it’s not a deal breaker for us. Personality matters 10x more.

I would agree with that. I often get compliments on my tattoos, and like I mentioned before, rarely a negative look or remark, but we hired a couple of guys who were smokers this summer on my paint crew and had several complaints about them smoking. I even had a no smoking on the jobsite rule, but allowed them to smoke in or near their cars.

the old rule with compliants was if one person says something there are many more who didn’t (can’t remember the number that used to be used).
most people don’t want confrontation of any kind and would make up an excuse.
nowadays tattood are far more acceptable than when tattoed ladies were featured in the circus freak show, but that doesn’t mean everybody is ok with them.
my son has lots of tattoos and i love him lots but cringe when i think of or see the destruction (my opinion) he has done to what is otherwise an admirable body.
you may lose the odd job because of tattoos i may lose the odd job because i have grey thinning hair.
personally i won’t allow facial piercings (right now) and i’m not sure i would allow facial tattoos.
the person can be great and totally win the customers trust but what does the neighbour that’s looking to have her windows cleaned think considering she only has the outward appearance to go by.
it’s all a numbers game, one guy may look great but not deliver the other guy loses the first impression but totally impresses people on the job.
i think you have to make a decision based on the overall.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I’m personally of the opinion that you can look however you want, as long as it looks like you care. Clearly, some people will care, some won’t , but I prefer to serve a client who isn’t judging me and my guys negatively based on our looks, so I’m cool with tattoos, piercings, dreads, gauges, whatever. Just as long as you wear your uniform, keep your appearance looking as though you bathe regularly and have good hygiene.

Besides that, Dreads a super cool.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

here’s the thing, I’d rather not lose bids over that, but being as I am one of those guys, Tattooed and gauged ears, I can only assume I’ll lose the bid if that’s how they are going to play it. I realize not all people are open minded about appearance (or any thing for that matter) , I would also rather not work for anyone who might be mistrusting me or giving me or my guys side-eye they whole time we’re working based on the way I look. So for every client who cares about such things, there are certainly more clients out there that do not.

Like real dreads with the matted hair and bugs and such?

Personally, I wouldn’t hire someone with dreads or face tattoos. That’s just how I want to run my business. I’ve hired guys with tat’s up and down arms and legs and that’s fine as long as they’re tasteful and not a bunch of naked ladies or something.

Oh, but I’d hire both of those categories before I hire someone with an obama or “coexist” sticker on their car… those people are waaaay too intolerant and sensitive for me to hire.

1 Like

I guess you would hire this guy

3 Likes