The Biosphere2 is complete

This past 4 weeks has been the ride of my life. I didn’t think the day would ever come, but I can finally say that I’m done restoring the glass on the Biosphere. There were some great tips given from various window cleaners, and I spent a lot of time planning the system of workflow with that input to come up with our game plan, budget, and safety setup. All that to find that a building like that throws a curveball just about every day.

I wanted to throw out a couple sincere thankyou’s out, because without some valuable input I wouldn’t have been able to put this enormous feather in my hat.

Chris- thanks for hooking me up with the insurance guy who could take me to the “next level” without breaking the bank.

Shawn (Reach Higher Ground)- HOLY COW, this guy is the real deal. When I ran into a road block, he was there. When I needed a tool, it came QUICK and at a reasonable price. He’s had a lot going on, and yet he always had time to make sure I was taken care of. I can’t say enough good about that guy.

EaCo Chem- We used 1,000 gallons of SafeRestore and I have become somewhat of an expert on the chemical, but they did me right getting us outfitted with drums, volume discounts, and technical support at the beginning… of course until you use SafeRestore at the volume, there are things you may never learn about it… but now we know from experience.

The U of A wants us to come back and restore some other craz[ier] buildings, but we’re going to worry about that after the holidays.

If you want to see the newspaper article on us from Tucson, AZ’s paper, check out our home page:

We’re still working on getting the footage from all of the news crews, but we built a page that describes the job:
http://5starwindowcare.com/Pages/Biosphere2Project.html

Anyway, the point is we have locked in semi-annual cleanings so we never have to let the glass get to the point that it did. Thanks again for all of the support that many of you overwhelmingly gave privately. And now I can get back to normal life.

Congratulations, Curt – you have alot to be proud of.

Wow. Well done

Great story Curt. Did you do the insides as well?

Excellent work Curt.

I appreciate the kind words and your business.

Thanks Curt

That job looks awesome!

I lived in Tucson 2 summers ago, whlie, I drove by biosphere2, and thought to myself, “Man, I wonder who cleans that that glass!?!?” Now I know. Thats awesome kurt, I wouldn’t mind having that on a semi-annual conract.

Congrats man !
This will sure take your biz to the next level .

As the paper mentioned, $30K doesn’t seem to be a lot considering what was involved, right ?

Thought that figure was only for the cost of the SafeRestore and water?

It takes a real pro and the help of other real pros to tackle a job like that. Even your staff would have to be up to the task.

Big Kudos!

Dwight

Yeah, we did the job with VERY little fat built in. I’d rather not discuss the money side too publicly, but I will say that there was a lot of intangible pay and a semi annual contract that will be quite lucrative for years to come on the maintenance cleanings. I knew what their budget was when I put in my bid-- which was the highest-- and basically said that I would do the job for their entire budget, but I knew that a squeegee and a mop like the other companies planned to use wouldn’t cut it. I got the contract, in some ways to my chagrin, but we were up for the challenge and we knew the upfront sacrifice will pay out on the cleans where DI resin is our only real variable cost (they even have RO water spouts on site for their rain water, so polishing the water off from 10-7 ppm was no biggie).

The biggest factor for us was that the SafeRestore kept eating through pumps, hose connections (brass and all), I got hit in the eyes without goggles on one day, and check out what it does if the acid gets in your shoes:

That was for exterior only, but the insides weren’t too bad due to the angle of the glass and really the only water that gets on the interior glass is water vapor or their simulated rain water, but I’m thinking that if we hooked up a power washer to their RO spout and went to town the inside would look perfect in just a few days work. I’m not thinking it would be worth it to them though. The access from the inside would be a nightmare even with a WFP.

I love the picture of the sunset over the biosphere…

I think that besides the fact that you did/didn’t make a huge amount of money, it gives you the experience and the exposure that money cannot buy.

Also prepares you for the future, having done that kind of project you know already what you can do next and having all those lessons learned is priceless.

Best of luck to you man.

Word.

Cool, Curt.

Now… since you ate this one for the intangibles, how are you going to leverage the life out of it?

Nice job Kurt!

WOW!!! Very Impressive!!! Congratulations on completing such a challenging project.

When you have rested up and have more time, please tell us more about using Safe Restore on a demanding project like this. Any tricks, tips, etc. will be a great contribution to this forum. I’m all ears!

wow!
my hero!

I first heard of this on Karls website.

Its amazing…much respect for you and your hard work.

How many man hours did it take from start to finish?