The Scrim is IN

Thanks Karl! I’ll have to use the squeegee detail tip next time. Appreciate the heads up about breaking them in!

As you will find on various UK forums - scrim isn’t the same as it was, its lost its feel compared to what it used to be. This is probably the reason its loosing ground against microfibre with the newbies in the UK. But after a few hot washes & a week or two pounded as sill cloths or to wipe the van down they break in fine.

First, thanks to Chris and karl for the scrim. I got it earlier in the week and have used it non stop. TY both. Please tell me i can keep it!

I did a bit of research. The scrim is NOT the same for a couple of reasons.

Ireland no longer grows the ‘flax’ needed to make the Linen used for the scrim. France does. “Irish Linen” was simply linen made from the flax grown in their region.

However, most linens perform similarly. The range of weaves does make a difference as does the thickness of the final cloth made from the flax. The old flax and weave are no longer available for mass production. So we are now stuck with the new, faster, easier version. Unless you want to dump some major coin to import the flax from france. (at least that is how i read it)

Having said all of that. the scrim I got (TY again) does carry two main features we, as window cleaners, might find useful.

1. They absorb very very well.
  2. They dry rather fast.

The scrim does take (as mentioned earlier) a bit of a knack…one must acquire that knack of carrying and of using…

Linen, as many may know, is used for clothing that upscale folks may wear. Pants made from linen offer not only a pleasing look but a comfortable feel as well. They are cool. The allow moisture to evaporate so the body can sweat and cool faster than cotton pants of denim. Hence…it use for our purpose.

Once available, I will purchase enough to carry 5-6 on my truck at all times. Marry that with a handful of hucks…and I’ll be set.

One scrim…one huck or micro. On my tool belt.

Today I will mix the use of a chamois and a scrim. I’ll report if anything magical happens.

Everyone needs at least one scrim…

Chris, you might want to find a source.

Pass it on to your grand-kids :slight_smile:

I did a huge post on one of the UK forums a few years back - & now hidden in the depths somewhere. From what you said - it rings true. Good investigative work.

Scrim is all yours Phil. Give it a good home

I have sewn some eyes onto it as well as a little furry nose. I also added a little red yarn in hopes to be interpreted as red hair. I also have given it (her) a name.
On her ‘bumper’ is a tiny little sign. It reads:

Obama For Change.

I can only assume she has a low IQ.

:slight_smile:

Having mixed the scrim with a chamois yesterday, I found the combo exactly what I need/like.

I use a synthetic chamois. Mine is called the Absorber. I like how it performs with ONE excpetion: It does NOT dry a glass. However, if ones squeegee method is perfect, a chamois will do a decent job. But, sometimes decent is not good enough.

A chamois will leave a light trail of moisture behind. Often, that trail will dry and leave no evidence behind. This is where i was using a huck to complete. This takes two strokes with two tools to complete. The advantage was way less towels.

The chamois is now used the same when NEEDED and the scrim does all the rest.

Example, I have a hotel that about 250 of the windows have edges that bleed back no matter what I do. Dawn, GG3. dog-eared corners…nothing works. They bleed back. So, I hit that first with the chamois…the touch up as needed with the scrim.

Otherwise, I’d need three or fours scrims to finsih that job.

This will be my last report unless requested.

I did 150 windows +/-. I used one scrim and one chamois. NO towels.

This is, to me, one awesome tool.

Gotta agree w/ you Phil, I couldn’t be happier w/ the results of from my scrim!

I dug out some white, fine-linen dinner napkins a new customer gave me a couple months ago. She thought I could use them after we discussed the lint-free nature of my huck towels.

I named one of them Mr. Robinson.

What did you call the others? The Miracles?

How did they work Larry?

:smiley:

Just like a huck, but they appeared to soil quicker due they are white. I have yet to wash them to see how they turn out…

I am curious what type of linen they are?

‘just like a huck’ carries no advantage then.

Hey they were free, so I broke 'em out…

I got some scrim the other day…which i think is great. very absorbant can work even when wet.

I hand washed it today and was thinking of drying it in the tumble dryer tonight as thes no drying time over here…are there any specific drying instructions/temperatures for scrim.?

also when it gets wet does anyone get a real funny smell off it?

Tumble dry = lint. Don’t do it.

I’m surprised you think its good, straight out-da-bag. I give mine a few washes & a good soiling before it feels good enough to use on a window.

Karl…ye mine was broken into pre washed already.

excuse my ignorance but what is lint and what would happen if i tumble dryed it?

LINT can be left on the window from using cloths to detail, very noticeable as a fine line of what looks like small particles. Putting your scrims/hucks/micro-fibers in a tumble dryer picks up deposits from the remains of other fine dust particles of clothing from a previous wash. Because the items are heated, this in turn charges them to become positively static & will draw other particles towards them or off your own clothes when using them.

Where do you order your scrims from Rob? The ones I buy are grade A & pre-washed, but I can never use them straight to the window!