The Shamwow Guy

I just saw another commercial with the guy that sells Shamwow. He was selling a food chopper called Slap Chop. I think he might be the next Billy Mays and just sell anything he can find. What makes these guys so great that they have people buying the products?

Flair.

They shamwow guys is a draw back to the old carnival ‘barkers’.

When I worked on ships, we’d see guys like that outside stores on many of the Islands we visited

I just don’t get it, I think it’s entertaining and cheesy to watch. Does anyone do those homeshows like on the shamwow commercial where he’s wearing the headset? I haven’t done any for my company but did them for an employer and it sucked.

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me our people are getting dumber…so it stands to reason these types of sales gimmicks are making a huge comeback.
I recall years ago when the ginsu knife was a big hit.

It was sold at department stores by a demo.

I love watching those things for entertainment value…but I have yet to rush to the phone for a purchase.

But I also love seeing a good three-shell game or three card monte at work too.

I don’t know, but I’d love to have him as my company salesman… :smiley:

I’m not endorsing his methods nor opposing them but Billy Mays is doing something right, at least for himself.

He’s a millionaire!

Kevin Trudeau was another one. He started out selling this memory enhancing gig and next he went full bore into herbs and how the FDA is all about $. I actually read his book.

Seeing guys like Mays, The Shamwow guy and Trudeau attempt to sell too many things kind of speaks to why some companies stick to the motto of “we do one thing and do it well!”

After using my chamois for a while and loving it I thought I’d try the Shamwow as a pick up towel for sills and such. If it doesn’t work it only cost what I paid for my chamois.

Just something I have noticed with some infomercials is the use of a person with a British accent (mostly male) host, with an American female co-host. Does anybody know the reason behind this? Besides of course the WOW factor of mopping up red wine out of a white carpet. We will always have the lady (that looks life the secretary from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off) to cook us the tasty treats, with the next thing in kitchen gadgets.
But wait if you act now we will double your order for just the cost of shipping and handling.

Later
Alberto E.:slight_smile:

"The New York state Consumer Protection Board warns those who follow Kevin Trudeau’s advice to call a toll-free number for information that Trudeau is selling their name and contact information to telemarketers and junk mailers.

Some of Trudeau’s customers have also complained of unexpected charges for his newsletter and discount purchase programs.

Trudeau’s troubles with the FTC continue. The FTC charges that Trudeau “deceptively claimed” in infomercials that the weight-loss plan outlined in his book is “easy to do, can be done at home, and ultimately allows readers to eat whatever they want.” The diet actually “requires severe dieting,” daily injections of a prescription drug not approved by the Food and Drug Administration for weight loss, and “lifelong dietary restrictions.”* Read the FTC press release of Sept. 14, 2007".

Trudeau has been banned from doing infomercials and has all kind of fraud charges against him even to this day. Google him!!!

Funny thing. I just got my new issue of Inc. magazine today, and there is an article on Ron Popeil “The man who can sell anything”. It’s a very interesting article.

Linda,
His book was just loaded with allegations. I’m very aware of what is going on with Kevin today. Not saying I agree with his views but there are a those that believe he uncovered some injustices and that is why he is being taken down.

Personally, I was just fascinated by his acumen with herbs.  I'm kind of weird like that.  I believe in herbs over synthetic drugs.

x

Billy Mays is great. And obviously he has no problem with making a little fun of himself and his "sellability"
These are actual commercials that run on the Fuel channel.
Pretty funny if you have a few minutes to kill.

where did I put the ear-plugs???

Those videos are hilarious! I need to get the likka, it even removes hard water stains. haha.

Maybe I should start trying to sell window cleaning like Billy. I’ll just go into a store and start shouting. “Tired of dirty, streaky windows? Don’t pay employees who don’t give a crap, just call me for that professional shine!”

While we all are thinking that these guys are moving mountains with their salesman skills… “The Snuggie” outsold every TV product in 2008, with no loud, pushy salesman.

These guys are selling a lot, but the product has to be the star. Would the product still sell well without these guys? Likely if presented well. Maybe we should give credit to the old lady in the snuggie commercial as the next greatest salesman. :rolleyes:

Billy will do an infomercial for anything

[CENTER]
//youtu.be/Billy Mays DC infomercial; Iikka Backstrom pro model - YouTube
[/CENTER]