Things you won’t do anymore as a window cleaner

I see your points as well.

But I’d disagree with there being less risk. Sometimes you can’t see the damage a previous contractor has done until you have the glass clean. Then who gets the blame?

Also a CCU isn’t something that most window cleaners do. It takes skill and knowledge to do it right and safely. Why shouldn’t your skill and knowledge be compensated fairly?

Do maintenance cleans have similar chance of risks?

I hear more of accusations of scratches coming from maintenance cleans or 1st time clean that aren’t ccu.

The guys who do ccu know the proper procedures. It’s the casual cleaner that uses harsh methods to remove stubborn debris that causes damage.

I figure by doubling regular pane price accounts for the extended process.

Especially with stance from manufacturers and warning that states all surfaces must be covered until final phase helps the cleaners now.

Another great benefit I find from CCU commercial or residential is these accounts have a very high opportunity to become maintenance cleans into the future.

That’s funny!

2 Likes

There are always things we would prefer not to do.

What I reinforce to employees and myself is that we have very few jobs that are not the best types to clean but they are far enough between that when they do come along we just suck it up and move on.

It is what we make of it.

Running a solo operation obviously allows you to pick and choose more.

3 Likes

relativity can kick in too

all the pain in the neck jobs are fired, let go, whatever, lo pays, slow pays, pickies, don’t stay on schedule etc

you now have a holy grail schedule

guess what, after a bit you find there’s a new set of jobs and customers that become the NEW pain in the neck

pretty soon there’s only one perfect individual and job left lol, well, that becomes the benchmark in the minds eye anyway

human nature can be a trip

3 Likes

you said it, suck it up and move on and its what we make of it for those jobs that are far and few inbetween

find a way to enjoy some aspect of that job

one foot in front of the other and in no time the day or job is over

Categories of jobs, like CCU are different. some plumbers only do new construction, others remodels, others service only, similar deal to x out a category of work. how many x out storefront, same deal as not doing ccu

Post construction clean

2 Likes

Deal with ANY customer named- Karen. Just don’t do it… Say no! lol.

4 Likes

Houses with sunscreens screwed through the frames into the stucco. Unscrew 4-8 screws per screen. Uhhhhh no thanks.

3 Likes

It’s official: Not taking on any new jobs with storm windows. I’ll continue servicing current customers for the time being, but those who have lapsed in service (>18 months since last appointment) are getting referred to a friendly competitor.

Progress :sunglasses:. Gotta keep “expanding the top and dissolving the bottom”

7 Likes

Exactly !!! You paid your dues !

3 Likes

“But storms are so fun” said no one ever…

3 Likes

Care. I won’t care anymore :slight_smile:

What I won’t do anymore? I won’t sacrifice my life: working in office till 8pm or 11pm, running in person quotes every Saturday, thinking for my crews.

4 Likes

I will not…

• Work Sundays
  • miss dinner
  • not have to work in the winter (my employees do)
  • Do storefront window cleaning
  • bid work less than $60 per man hour with $100 min.
  • be tied down to field work anymore
4 Likes

Surprised so many people said they will not do CCU anymore… It’s good money if you got the man power and know how.

I would like to briefly address mostly every topic in this conversation. A lot of really great, logical, and veteran points have been made. However, everybody has their own way of doing things, it’s that simple. I fall in the category of the fortunate business owners, where we have the privilege to pick and choose what we do. Don’t advertise, don’t need or want to, our precision in what we do keeps us 9 weeks out nearly year around. Going to cut this short, if you’re seasoned enough you’ll know that ccu are for the birds, too much liability. Pains and storms are wayyyy to labor intensive to ever make decent profit. Quote a job by how much you want to make on it, not by how much it comes up to mathematically however you price things (it’s clearly diff in every state) and go from there, it’s very simple. If you have a funny feeling or just straight up don’t want to tackle it, walk away. Learn to say no, if you can, although i do relate with the new folks starting out hungry, taking whatever. We’ve all been there. This is a “service” for the “privileged” if you will, it’s a luxury type of service in most cases. With that being said i also believe that tips we receive (in my case more often than not) are simply a way of customer showing appreciation for the effort and job well done. Always split it evenly between crew, and appreciate one another. Pride comes before the fall, always stay humble and never get too cocky but confidence is a good attribute.

6 Likes

We’re learning to take our time estimating ccu. Look at every window up close, go in/out of property. Don’t love it but if priced right it’s not terrible

2 Likes

I underestimated the time to do a CCU this week - it was a bear, took 3 days instead of two and the third day was 11 1/2 hours. Still walked away with only $19 less than my $100 per hour goal. I hate them, but they sure do come in handy during the s-l-o-w summer slug days.

Truth :point_up_2:t3:

1 Like