Tips & Tricks of the Trade - Volume I

Keep a spray bottle on your belt with your window cleaning solution. Reduces the number of trips to the bucket. (+ your solution will be dirt free for the most part)

+1

How does it save you money?

If I have to tell you, then you donā€™t need it.

I understand how difficult it is for some to articulate their thoughts in a clear and concise mannerā€¦

Are you referring to a new perversion of some kind? How can I identify these people?

their license plates usually state: BEST WC

please use cautionā€¦:smiley:

Great thread !!

thanks

When doing retail storefronts it is good to use a long rectangular bucket with a lid. It also comes in handy to have a squeegee designed for 1 inch ledges. We can do most of our routes now without using a ladder.

We have learned that most retail storefront routes only need one worker. Sending a team of two only saves 25% of the time in most cases because you donā€™t save any time during the driving between locations. If you send two guys you are spending twice as much money and saving only 25% of the time. Not cool. Only send two if you have too and make sure the additional cost is reflected in the price.

1 Like

I try to think ahead. My mind is usually on the next window. Iā€™m thinking of the fastest way to complete the next task so Iā€™m ready when I get there.

When cleaning sills and such, I carry around a 1 gallon bug sprayer with solution in it. 20 quick pumps and the thing will spray for 2-3 minutes straight. You can use it almost as a mini powerwasher on nasty sills. Best $15 bucks Iā€™ve spent in a while

When you climb to the top of a ladder and scrape and clean the window and frameā€¦donā€™t step back to admire your work

3 Likes

Donā€™t carry a fully extended 40ā€™ ladder straight up during a thunderstorm, itā€™s basically a lightning rod.

You da Man if you can carry a fully extended 40ā€™ foot ladder around for any distance by yourselfā€¦thunderstorm or not

Iā€™ve done it. Barely, but Iā€™ve done it.

Iā€™m not sure if I ever did one that was fully fully extended but probably. You gotta do what you gotta do when the boss drops you off alone. Itā€™s awkward and heavy, you have to be careful for sudden gusts of wind, but Iā€™ll carry it right across a court yard before Iā€™ll retract the ladder and take it down. Going along a wall from window to window though is pretty easy and safe. I donā€™t think they weigh more then a 36 actually. Not much anyway.

I HATE ladder work that is higher then 28ā€™, one time I had to do 40ā€™ work on a glass wall going up a grand stand at a horse racing arena. I had to lift it over the seats. In my own business I rented a 40 only once, the tallest ladder that I own is a 32 (wish it was a 36 though). I like 16ā€™ ladder work:)

Not me, I drop it down and carry it. Yes, I will walk it along the wall no problemo, but I wonā€™t carry it around extended.

I use the technique of using my non-dominant hand to apply chemical and squeege. It took quite a bit of practice but now it saves me a lot of time. In particular when I am cleaning 2 windows side by side. I stand fast in the middle and pass the tools hand to hand. This gives my dominant hand, arm, and shoulder a break and speeds me up.

I also carry Bronze Wool with me. I donā€™t know how I got along before without it. I am currently doing a construction clean-up where the frames are stained. So the stain naturally is on the glass. I can scrape practicly all day long and the glass not come clean. Instead of fussing I run the Bronze Wool over the glass in 2 directions and after sraping the edges it comes perfectly clean every time. This is much faster than fussy scraping.

Iā€™m still trying to figure how Scrim works better. I tried them for a week an reverted back to hucks.