To be picky or not?

lol if I cussed I definitely would say it like that. I see what you’re saying, Same with JohnC, I guess I should’ve thought of that when I looked at his resume. “so and so window cleaning company” 6 months " this and that window cleaning" for 10months. then says “I have all the experience needed for this position” lol.

Sloppy work with streaks and rounded corners won’t get very many referrals. The great thing about WC is that everybody can see your workmanship and can see you in action. Leveraging that visibility into getting new clients pays off.

Nobody ever comes into a building when I am carpet cleaning and asks for my business card :frowning:

1 Like

That’s ok didn’t make you a bad guy :rofl:

Hire a new guy , train your way. Look for someone that is meticulous and has a good eye for detail .

2 Likes

There is the clarity-streaks and round corners? That’s NOT picky, that is your basic entry level expectation. If that’s the stuff you are dealing, you are not the problem.

This is part of the reason I work alone - I hate having do deal with someone else’s quality issues. It can wear on you so much as to start thinking that you are the problem.

1 Like

If/when I ever hire, it’ll be someone with either no experience, or someone who is already better at window cleaning than I am. (You can probably guess the odds of me finding someone in that second category…)

Better to fire that mess rather than to look into that mirror. :wink:

I just got so tired of going back on guys work and constantly explaining how the process works so I have up. At least for this season anyway. Beck of a lot less stress I can tell you that. And my gross is still high with a higher margin. I’m good on help…

1 Like

How many customer complaints did you get?

I dont get many. One in 8 years and it was only because I didn’t clean a grocery store one January due to snow and temps at 10. Need a roll eyes emoji for that one.

Yeah, that’s what I’m getting at.

Today I went through this:

Saw a number of bad habits and, contrary to my advice in this thread, I addressed it immediately after watching for 5 minutes.

But in the end, I said to him,

“99.9% of customers arent going to complain about it. So Im showing you because of me.”

He readily agreed that it saves time to use proper technique, and was able to immediately see where he was leaving water behind. Led to a constructive convo.

3 Likes

Rockward I hear you. I was also trained by my grandfather and his father was in the business as well. We have been washing windows since the 30’s. This is what I have come to realize about attention to detail. From a purely business perspective (certainly in commercial) I don’t believe it will help your bottom line. I see the men some of the management companies in my area send they have no idea what they are doing (cleaning the bottom first goes faster) yet the customer is happy. However I feel that if you don’t take pride in your work and feel like your providing a quality service then you wont feel satisfied. You didn’t just enter the field because you thought it was the easiest way to get other peoples money in your pocket, you were trained with a good old fashion work ethic to do quality work. Don’t sell out and give that up.

4 Likes

Thank you mercurymiami, it’s always been about my family’s legacy for me, yeah the money is always another factor but that’s about it. my grandfather always says he is proud of me and how far I’ve took the business, just don’t want some employee who doesn’t care ruin that. he’s always told me that employees are more of a headache than anything. Good to know there’s still some good ol boys out there. how’s things for you?

iv learned a good way to get an employee to pull his socks up is to ask the customer with the problem to speak to them . if you get the right customer [old battleaxe ]they can really shock the worker "your boss is going to lose me and others because YOU are not wiping the sills "

this works better than nagging by me

4 Likes