Two peice interior storm windows

Dont feel bad…
Biggest mistake of my life, cleaning windows

• These guys (the owners) caught me on a good day, (for them)

• I glanced at the job, on Google maps, and just threw a number out there… 2k.

• bad call! lol

• I ended up with four guys, for 4 days on this fucker.
    (at one point I had a 100 year old weighted window slam down on my wrist, putting me out of commission for a week)

Long story, sort… ALWAYS overcharge for storms!!!

Just ran into similar windows a few ago. Until then, I’d never seen this type.

The bottom sash is removable as per usual. They have tabs that unlock it and allow it to slide up and down in it’s tracks.

The top sash, however, did not have tabs and sat securely in it’s position in the frame with a “center bar” underneath it. The center bar, along with the side and top of the frame meant that the top sash was completely encased. These were external storm windows and on their outside, the center bar was clearly held in place with two screws on either end that held it to the frame. We unscrewed them, dropped the center bar, and the top sash came out.

In our case, since the storms we exterior and since the home was a small, single story, we just removed the entire storm frame off the house and cleaned on our easel. Ultimately this was faster for us.

All storms are a pain. We approach storm estimates with the words “We don’t clean storms” right on the tips of our tongues. And we’ve walked away from plenty. However, we keep an open mind and really inspect each opportunity to see if we might be able to handle them. If we can do them, we charge! We take the base charge of a double hung window and apply it to each of the storm panes. That usually means that a standard double hung with a two pane storm is 3x more expensive than a double hung with no storm. Then, of course, we add to that if there are screens, french pane cut-ups, second story, etc. (I might add, also, that we don’t mention storm pane tracks in our estimates. They usually get brushed out, but we don’t offer to clean them specifically and so we don’t spend much time doing it.)

If they are doable, and the customer is willing to pay for our labor, they can be good work.

D

1 Like

oh my god :joy:

1 Like

lol. Yeah man… exatly!

• let it be known, I’m not too proud to show my ass, here! lol

I had a house that had panels, I think those are called storm windows lol.

Took me 2 days! And a third to vacuum out her tracks in the basement and clean those basement panel windows.

I was charging 20 per window I believe so it was ight but oh man did I think I’d be done quicker.

Plus I was slow this Spring lol

1 Like

I have one for you guys…triple storms. Darndest thing I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Pics! I need pics!

But yes, I think I’ve seen triple storms on some antique triple hung windows, before.

I’ve also done a job that had both the traditional combination storms, and those Marvin Thermal Panels, on mostly 12/12’s, and a few 16/16’s.

Never. Again. :joy:

2 Likes

$50 per window at minimum when I did take on storm jobs.

I’ve had fingers go numb, finagling my way thru ‘tripple tracks.’

• (but oddly enough, in my mind, I still hate the word “Pella” more. lol)