Urgent advice needed

Good, now go get some clients! Keep us posted as questions and uncertainties arise, we got your back.

1 Like

But perhaps not enough to sustain him. I agree start window cleaning get on the side get a part time job for now

2 Likes

When I first thought about getting into window cleaning I thought sounds easy enough. Thought I’d just get some tools cards and away I go. It’s a love hate relationship with youtube. Yes I have a channel but I try to be straight forward with people. This is not a get rich over night type of profession. It takes massive amounts of time and tons of trail and error, especially if you have no real start up money and 0 experience. Be careful on some of the advice if you do watch youtube videos a lot of guys make it like anybody can and will succeed in this business. I had a lot of people that told me this was a dumb idea, to give up won’t work. It did and is working and it can for you too. Buthe I would definitely get a part time job first. I worked as a bartender at night and cleaned windows during the days for almost two years before I was happy with the income from window cleaning. I started with storefronts first so that I would have a guaranteed income and it was year around work. Was slower to start this way but imo for my situation and perhaps yours it may be the best answer. Storefronts will give you a ton of practice and time to learn how to sell and what works and what wont. I’m not saying to turn down res jobs but perhaps in the beginning just go after some storefronts. …rambled a bit there. Look good luck and if you need any advice there is tons here.

5 Likes

Just trying to give advice . I know you’re not a big youtube guy and hey more power to you. So I’m sure you haven’t really seen my content but it’s not anybody can do this …make a $1000.00 per day type deal. window cleaning just isn’t for everybody. I feel that the simple working in the elements can break some poeple. Let alone the difficult step of learning how to run your business and learning the trade. Anybody with a great deal of determination, keen eye for detail, hardworking…really hard working and some business knowledge should be able to succeed. Just don’t dive in…ease in just a bit to see if it’s something that will work for you.

3 Likes

I guess I’m more like you. I didn’t get into the business because I was in a tough spot financially. I did see a financial benefit obviously. I got into it because after trying it out I found that I actually liked the work and running a business is something that I’m proud of and I enjoy.

2 Likes

I think the biggest question is: how much money do you need ASAP? If just a little cash is enough, window cleaning could be good. But if you need to replace a full-fledged income, it may take awhile.

It may be a low cost startup, but no new business provides enough to live on right out of the gate. I think you’ll find that nearly everyone on here had another job while they started up.

I’m not trying to discourage you. It’s a great business to get into. But if circumstances are dire, it may not be enough.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Glad that video helps you out ! Really means a lot. What’s your youtube name ?

Check the Chamber of Commerce in your area for a listing of the businesses that are members. I’ve seen some COC websites that list the point of contact for their businesses.

i don’t want to mislead you, and everyones right that it will likely not guarantee a full income right away, but i started my business half way through december of 2014 (winter) and in jan i did $2000, feb $2000 march $3000 april $4000, etc. it can be done, i would suggest splitting your time between storefront and residential, i did storefront solicitation in the morning and residential in tje afternoon, put out a minimum of 100 flyers a day residential, do a lot more if you can, work overtime every day and you will get results.

6 Likes

Hey Tj, I have a few bills at
’final payment/notices’ stage I need about $1000-$2000 to tide me over until I find full time work. The plan then is to keep the new washing windows business and save money to ensure I have something in place if this happens again!

No problem. Thanks for clarifying though :+1:

1 Like

Finally another noob with a set and everyone tells him to find a job. Man go get a bucket, a squeegee, a big sponge (cheaper but not as durable as a scrubber) some clean towels, dress respectfullyand go sell and perform work like your life depends on it. Because it kinda sounds that way. I’m not going to link anything- others already did, if you can find this forum you can find how tos on youtube as well. Good luck to you.

6 Likes

How’s things going so far, InNeed?

1 Like

Yeh Any updates ? Me also being a newbie I want to see what problems others are having now. And how they get past them.

I did my first Store front the past week ( and I borrowed the tools from my old company LOL Shh don’t tell the new owner) now they are not top of the line stuff but I needed something while I waited for my new setup to get here. I think if you need cash fast do like they said here part time job while you work out the kinks of the WW business.

So go grab just what you need to get that first job done. Don’t over spend unless you have that ability and don’t give up. That’s why that part time might help for now. When you feel wtf its not working right now at least you have some cash coming in. Also can help on the home front. Trust me on that end.

When I started working for myself many years ago (Commercial cleaning) I had a part time job and a full time job then the Cleaning. If you want to have the best chance you need to have the backing from family and the understanding shits going to get tough but the end can be great.

Sorry long but P.M. me and maybe being a newbie here we can help eachother and others with the starts of our companies.

Cool avatar.

Good Morning People of WCR,
Sorry I haven’t responded I haven’t been at home I have been on the streets haha and as soon as I get home I literally fall asleep exhausted lol I don’t how you guys do it!
I have 4 regular store fronts signed up for 12 months and I have been going door to door.
I have taken the advice of the masses and aiming for businesses first.
So my day looks like this:
6 am get up then normal person stuff
7.00 am approach cafes
11.00 am approach other types of businesses hairdressers, furniture etc
1.00pm break
1.30pm approach offices
4.30pm door knocking residential
6.00 pm home
6.01 asleep on the couch lol

Weekends
Whole weekend is residential
This is where I am making quick up front cash but it isn’t sustainable and I am not sure if I will get repeat business.

What’s working:
Residential is where I am getting most of the dollars so far!
Entry line:
Hi my name is steve from Stevens window cleaning we are looking to expand into the area do you have any windows that need cleaning?
Yes/No
Yes
That’s great!
Prices?
Whole house in and out $250!
Now no one where I am from will pay that price and they decline it straight away (other than the one person that said yes yay me)

Then I simply say no problem "would you like me to clean just the front of the house for $20 this usually works with 75% of the customers other still feel this is to much and try to negotiate I simply say I am sorry I can’t do it that cheap!
(Please keep in mind these are single storey places with maybe 2-6 windows tops)

Bank so far: $1,000 cash
$200 in invoices
Reg business: $200 4 weekly

What I need to do:
Practice Practice Practice!!!
I find I need to do to much detail work after my fanning.
Most businesses ie Cafes have floor to ceiling windows with no gaps so I am struggling to do the whole window in one go especially as I only have a 14 inch squeegee! Straight pulls maybe the way to go!

Purchases to be made:
I certainly see the value in buying a bucket on a belt I bend down far too much and it’s time consuming! What’s your favourite?

And once again I can’t thank you guys enough for all the advice.
S

10 Likes

Wow, you are my hero. I can’t imagine where I’d be by now if i worked as hard as you. Great job, keep it up!

2 Likes