Veteran (older?) cleaners, health?

OK have been following this post for a while now.
Can relate to the numerus injures that you can get when using squeegee, WFP etc as mention.
And difficulties using with pre-existing injures or arthritis.
All which can be avoided.
Squeegees we are told have to use a certain way to get it to work properly.
Most times it feels a very unnatural way to hold when using.
Muscle memory?
Teaching yourself to use something incorrectly.
Why because that is the way they designed it.
Most times not designed to work with the natural way movement grip of the hands, wrist handle wise squeegeeing in hand.
Same goes for swivel type movements on squeegees does not have that natural movement in the hand.
Also with poorly designed handle resulting in RSI ect.
Having a well designed handle and /or swivel movement will prevent from getting all of the above in the first place

Interesting reading all the replies here. I quit doing glass after 17 years or so, not long after injuring my back moving. I had been doing glass solo for years and had started getting bursitis in my shoulders. Got a job offer working as a rep for a big company and decided to take a break from glass. That was about 17 years ago.

Now Iā€™m thinking about getting back into it. Itā€™s always been something that I enjoyed but I am about to be 54 years old. Canā€™t quite do as much work as I used to without feeling it, but when I read about someone cleaning glass when theyā€™re 75 I have to wonder if maybe itā€™d help me stay in shape. Canā€™t say as I would look forward to doing a three story job with a ladder or pole even, but thereā€™s a lot of nice homes that could be just fine to do without having to take jobs that are too much physical work. Find a company thatā€™d be good to refer jobs I donā€™t want and take the gravy. No storms, let a newbie do them. Lol.

I never did get into using a wfp. Itā€™d be something I would definitely add on should I decide to start cleaning glass again. Pole work can definitely be hard on your neck & shoulders though. Have to wonder how long before someone comes up with a video monitor so you can see the glass from ground level without looking up as much. A little video monitor right at eye level on the pole and cameras on the top of the pole were you can get up close to the glass. Look up when you move it from window to window and watch the video feed when youā€™re cleaning the glass.

It will take some searching, but there have been posts about belay glasses (you can look up while looking straight) and Josh, @Pure_Water_Window_Cl, made a DIY backpack/harness for WFP on his YouTube channel that I plan on recreating for when I finally have the big properties that I am looking at come through. I dont see why you couldnā€™t do the same for a house as it should help with saving your back. I herniated my L5 when I was 21 and window cleaning actually helps me stay mobile as long as Iā€™m careful. There are also good threads on here other than this one with tips, but this is probably the best one. Best of luck either way!

2 Likes

Hey @Bruce, which flextend kit would you recommend for my carpal tunnel?

@Alex_Lacey looks like they finally updated their website from the 1990ā€™s :smiley:

when I click on shop, the first one top left on my screen is the ā€œFlexstend Restore, reversible training systemā€ thatā€™s the one I use and recommend

plenty of videos from them on you tube for this product as well, also found videos that helped with some tennis elbow I was dealing with for too long, did the exercises and gone in no time, I was doing everything wrong to stretch or whatever before I finally looked up videos, and the issue never came back one I did their stretches and exercises (but will again at some point im sure lol)

so much is just exercising the opposite muscles

keep in mind as you first use it, your wrist will probably feel worse and more sore and wake you up at night even more, but keep at it and then you will feel the improvements!

1 Like

Bob and Brad, physical therapists, have lots of helpful exercises on YouTube. Hereā€™s a link to one of many on carpal tunnel.

Single Best Stretch for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome + 5 Helpful Hints - YouTube

Coming into WC I had shoulder, elbow and hips problems from chasing the football dream too long. WC only exacerbated them. I, somehow, have gained 40 pounds since starting WC!!! Everyone talks about staying healthy?!?! lol
I think the stress of running my own business, paying for my own retirement, and a serious ā€œmake everyone happyā€ mentality have contributed to much of my physical downfall.
This year (more specifically the last month) I have been trying change my schedule, changed my eating habits and stretching more. I re-injured my back on a canoeing trip and that slowed me down the last 3 weeks. I worked full schdule the first two weeks but last week I crawled from my truck to my bed and stayed low for the last week.
This topic has me really concerned about my long-term health and making changes to how I perform different movements, stretches, counter-exercises, etc. The repetitive movements, especially when not completed in the correct range of motion, can lead to major problems later. @BostonMike those guys are great and I am doing the stretches for my lumbar they recommend.
We have to make conscious decisions about what we are willing to sacrifice for the $$ we receive. Choose wisely.
We must be bad people, the good die young.
Good luck to you old guys.

1 Like

You rode motorcycles Iā€™m guessing.

I have the Waspak kit - belay glasses and backpack. Havenā€™t got used to using the Waspak backpack properly but the glasses blow everybodyā€™s mind.

2 Likes

I have been at this 17 years next month and overall feel pretty good but definitely have a few rough days. Usually I try to do around 5 hours of actual labor a day moving at a brisk pace and that has been ok so far. I am curious how I will feel after 17 more years. :grin:

2 Likes

belay glasses are a game changer with WFP.

3 Likes

Is this the Waspak you talking about??
The Waspak (patent pending on the waspak method) is an ergonomic tool for window cleaning and facade cleaners, working with waterfed telescopic poles.
Meet Waspak and discover the benefits on The Waspak is specially designed for window cleaning and facade cleaners (who work with telescope poles).
Waspak is a kind of backpack with a strong tube to which you can hang a telescopic pole.
Because the telescopic handle holds the pole, the work load on the body decreases significantly.
On the basis of an ergonomic study * is has shown that the work load is reduced by more than 50%. Therefore you may work with the Waspak for longer periods.
Working with a Waspak is not only healthier, it is also more efficient!
Benefits of Waspak: Quick and easy to use.
Over 50% reduction in physical work load.
Ergonomic and approved work equipment.
Longer working time with the telescopic pole.
Waspak is also suitable for working with a telescope pressure washer.
It comes with Was glasses, Waspak, teleline, special pulley & an additional bracket. Wasglasses: Special prism glasses for window cleaning and facade cleaners.
Prism glasses are made so you donā€™t have to strain your neck.
Advantages of Wasglasses: Lightweight (45 grams). Narrow frame, so you can still see your surroundings.
Vandal-proof. Glass case provided with micro cloth. The Wasglasses comes only in combination with the Waspak.

2 Likes

Hi - yes that is correct.

The idea is good but it isnā€™t so clear how to attach the pulley to the water fed pole. It seems at first I believed the role was to lower the weight of the wfp while working - but this created more effort in pushing the wfp around as the brush moved too much. The instructions are in Dutch but I now believe the purpose instead of holding the wfp conventionally you should be steering it - it isnā€™t easy to explain in words but itā€™s about a different technique that would take a while to adapt to.

I wanted to ask you about squeegee RSI.

I believe you said using Unger S or Moermann was preferable to avoid RSI from detailing - can you elaborate on what you have thought about on RSI with squeegees?

I believe I had to take off three days this week because of bodily aches - and I knew pushing myself more would have done damage. There were several issues - but there were strains in my hands, fingers and Iā€™d like to avoid or reduce them. Like you I think that is about technique and the tools are not helping. I use wide body sorbo, sovereign - an old brass type squeegee, standard unger sqeegees. I use belay glasses with trad pole work and Iā€™m happy with how I do it - but conventional trad work is where I think the strains are coming from. I wanted to talk to a physio about this but being a window cleaner is very specialized and Iā€™m not sure theyā€™ll provide useful information besides changing which hand Iā€™m using - which I instinctively do often.

Iā€™ll be adapting a short ledger for squeegee use as an experiment - I think some of the strain comes from closing out too close to the frame.

So over the past 18 years have been trying to find the best swivel type squeegee handles that work better then what swivel type squeegees on the market today.

Have spent hundreds of hours making modifying many different swivel combinations.

Have even patented one also which works the way it should.

However as good as it works in the way of be able to have even pressure on the squeegee channel even if you are using off centre.

Found it was lacking some sort of smooth movement when angling from side to side movements.

So after a few adjustments have now developed a FLOATING SWIVEL,

Been using this for the last month or so by hand and on a pole.

1 Like

Sounds great. I was trying to use a sorbo swivel t-bar by hand but even that caused strain. Do you have a prototype for sale of your floating swivel? I saw a wagtail adapter for water pole - Orbital? I think it had a similar purpose but it wasnā€™t for trad by hand - just water poles.

Regarding the Scrubber T-Bar.
We have been using this DIY swivel on a Ettore scrubber bar for about 7 years still going.

3 Likes

The single handily most important thing I do to prevent carpal tunnel is to use as many differently channels and methods as possible when hopping from house to house. I use Wagtails, Morermans, Steccones, Sorbos, Ettore. Straight pulls, fanning, 2 hand method, one hand, pole work, etc. This has greatly reduced my carpal tunnel in my left and right hands. I have zero problems as a 10 year resi/commercial cleaner.

One thing I have noticed is my vision is going slightly from the Florida sun. Iā€™m 43 and I wear polarized Oakleys. But they get scratched up and beat up too quick. Oakley 2020 models are changed way too much from the old optics and have way too much aberration. I have to find a new and better pair of sunglasses, Maui Jims?

1 Like

Iā€™ve also found that switching up techniques helps with tennis elbow and shoulder pain. Iā€™m also using the maykker stick and xero trad pole on almost every window over my head. Reaching high was saving me a few minutes a house but costing me in aches and pain.

2 Likes

I am 60 and in my fifth season. I donā€™t have as much stamina as I did just 2 years ago but I know it is important to keep moving, especially at my age.
One thing that has helped limit RSI is that I am doing more pressure washing. I do at least one PW job each week. That work is easier on my body.

3 Likes