Wagtail Squeegee Users, Arm Pain?

As most people would know by now that have being using my own version of the Wagtail handle orange one.

Now some of the wagtails that were modified just recently had the original handles on them.

Tried the 18inch squeegee yesterday could only use it for a 1hour or so.

As started to get shooting pain up my arm to the shoulder.

Not sure why this only started to happen when using original wagtail handle.

So tried an experiment held the handle with the first two index fingers under the handle where it tappers in to the end.

Still holding the handle this way, stretched my arm as though reaching to the top of a window.

Doing this caused shooting pain up the arm though to the shoulder again.

Don’t know if it is just me or if that tapper that may be causing this.

If you under stand what I mean just try and see if you get the same thing happen.

Any feed back would be appreciator.

He Man,
If you’re gripping the handle like a he man that may be the cause of your problem. Gripping to hard is the best way to develop repetitive motion injuries.

I learned to hold my squeegee with just my thumb and index finger from Jim Willingham. Very light touch. All my pain went away.

During busy times (like now) I tend to get really bad shoulder pain (rotator cuff). I wake up all night in pain, and I have to take a strong ibuprofen just to make it through the day. I figure it is from repetitive motion all day, and they never get enough time to heal properly. But same type of pain. Basically put your arms at your side, then try lifting one above your head, I get about shoulder high and then shooting pain. Hopefully it is a fluke thing due to the fact you are too busy…

From your videos He-man, I’d say you were gripping too hard.

Yesterday, 09:33 PMBostonMike
He Man,
If you’re gripping the handle like a he man that may be the cause of your problem.
Gripping to hard is the best way to develop repetitive motion injuries.

I learned to hold my squeegee with just my thumb and index finger from Jim Willingham. Very light touch. All my pain went away.

karlosdaze
From your videos He-man, I’d say you were gripping too hard.

Yes Mike , Karlodaze.

This is how it is griped like you said Mike.

It might seem as though I am griping hard but it is very lightly.

In relation to using one index finger also understand what you are talking about.

It is just that when holding the handle of the wagtail squeegee where it narrows in at the end.

You would find that both index fingers are where it is at thinnest.

Like a clawing to hold it with the index fingers in this case.

Then when you go to reach because the index fingers and the thumb are griping this narrow part of the squeegee handle

Just try holding the squeegee handle like explained stretch out arm in front of your self still holding the squeegee handle the same way

Then reach or put you arm straight up as far as you can.

You should get the same shooting pain up your arm to your shoulder, even if it is a bit of pain after doing a few windows reaching like was explained pretty soon your will feel it.

It might be a age thing!!! :eek::smiley:

Oh ya! It’s an age thing for sure.

He Man, I think that we may be close in age so I would agree this might be some what age related. Any repetitive motion though can cause irritation or inflamation even damage. When I was doing construction before air nailers were standard and we drove all nails by hand, hammer elbow, like tennis elbow was a common complaint. I have learned to scrub and squeegee with both hands so when ever possible I switch. Scrub with one hand squeegee with the other. A Wagtail is my first choice but I will change to a ergo tec or ninja for a time then go back to the Wagtail. Pole work will beat your shoulders up even more, so I switch sides. I know that it takes some time to learn but it is not that hard and once you have caused damage or it keeps you up at night there ain’t no going back.
Be well, Dale.

Yea would think that would be the problem (age thing) however it only happened when using the wagtail handle.

Agree with Dale as well in reference to mixing it up a bit holding the handle differently or even changing to fixed handled squeegees.

To use any other type of squeegee with fix handle is a no go for me, as explained in another thread.

When it comes to pole work haven’t had any problems used up to 45 feet squeegeing.

Hey Guys,
If you’re really concerned about joint pain Google joint pain along with sugar, or dairy, or wheat. Joint pain is all about what you are eating not cleaning windows. I’m 60 and I am cleaning more windows with less pain because I am changing what I eat. The pain should be getting worse as I age not better. When I cheat the pain returns.

Go ahead a Google it.

Very good point Mike. I agree 100%.
Dale

Thanks Dale,

We gave out candy Monday night and I ate a lot. Now my knuckles hurt. Normally I do not eat sugar because I will suffer if I do. I use to think it was window washing.

You have to read lables carefully. Coke now sells crap in a bottle with the byline " Water + Vitamins, all that you need." The second ingredient is suger, alot of suger. You have ask yourself why the FDA would let them get away with it.
Be well, Dale.

Some joker even posted on my facebook wall about how good it was to drink RO water as well (now deleted). They’ll get you to believe anything.

Yes, what Mike said. Plus mix it up between pole work and hand work, so that the repitition is not too much. Stay relaxed and keep the elbows as close to the body as possible whenever possible. I’ve been using the wagtail for several years now. Never any pain.

Yes, what Mike said. Plus mix it up between pole work and hand work, so that the repitition is not too much. Stay relaxed and keep the elbows as close to the body as possible whenever possible. I’ve been using the wagtail for several years now. Never any pain.