Welcome to waste of my timeville! RANT WARNING

It’s okay alexkjv33, shake it off man. I consider these calls as a time to practice my selling technique. Not everyone can see the value.
Think about what just happened here, on this thread, because you shared this conversation. There is a lot of great advice here on this subject all because this person called you…time not wasted.

4 Likes

There are two ways to use your time while running your business. Billable hours, and unbillable hours. Billable hours are the things you do for which you may serve an invoice and receive payment. Unbillable hours encompass everything else, for which you will never be directly compensated, but which are also necessary to continue operations.

Time spent on stupid phone calls and pointless bids falls into the category of “unbillable hours”. Yes, it sucks to fall victim to some monkey business every now and then. But sometimes it’s necessary to sift through a few bogus leads before you land a sweet deal.

Don’t sweat it too much. Just let it reinforce the idea that $70pmh gross while on the job is not SO outrageous when it’s only part of a composite average with all the non-paying work you do as a matter of course.

3 Likes

Yes

Thank you guys for your thoughts and constructive criticisms.

1 Like

One thing your going to have to realize real fast is … it’s the nature of the beast. You’ll meet all kinds. Nice people, mean people , cheap people, weird people
, funny people , not so funny people , keep it short sweet , an have a price that you want to do it for , An have a price that your willing to do it for.
Once you arrive , An establish your self you could have a price that your only doing it for.
It’s a numbers game you don’t have to be a great salesman a little bit of a salesman helps your numbers , but it’s not a game changer.
If you don’t want to deal with the cheap back , An forth people just cut them short tell them the price, An say that’s the best I can do. Yeah or neigh … next.

To me it’s always been … how are you approaching me with your cheapnesss, are you being a dick about it , then it’s ya buddy that the price. If there really nice An a potential good customer than it’s sure I can work with ya. Look I price high most of the time , especially when I’m really busy. If I give a price for 540 An the y say can you do it for 5. If they seem cool who cares what is 40 dollars. Don’t forget they don’t know you yet. Once they see how food you are, how you carry yourself the price can most always go up next time.
An one other thing sometimes you have to fake it till you make it. Sir if it’s not going to be your store it will be some other store. I only have x amount of hours in a day.

4 Likes

You gotta get yourself a local phone number. Makes a big difference! People want to use someone local.

Do it now, or it will only get harder/more painful later down the line.

5 Likes

Since i am moving, Is it wrong to go into a business and ask about cleaning windows to get a general idea of price? And does a local number really mean that much. I figured an unique(aka outta state number) would set you apart…

Yes get a local number!

6 Likes

I see and understand your point of customers ease of seeing its a local number. But if i walk in and hand them a card with my name and info on it like @alexkjv33 did…then they know im local…plus i like my number…lol

Get a local number!

6 Likes

Not having a local number is such a bad idea and a hurdle you will never overcome, no matter how great of a talker you might be. Because a lot of people won’t even be calling you in the first place.

With all the hardships in starting a business, why sabotage your own efforts on something that can be easily fixed?

4 Likes

Get a local number

5 Likes

A local number is paramount to looking like a real local business person.

Google Voice is your friend!

It’s free, you can choose your number and having this service allows you to keep your regular number for personal stuff and have a dedicated number for your business that has it’s own voicemail and forwards to your home phone so you can see when a customer is calling. Very important! You want to be answering the biz calls with “hello, joe’s window cleaning, Joe speaking, how can I help you today?” instead of just “hello?”…

It gives the customer some confidence that the number they called is a real local company. :wink:

Don’t sweat it, it’s all learning. Take these lessons and make the adjustments…you will do it better the next time, rinse, repeat.

3 Likes

They know that you are local with a local number.

See, some folks you run into have been hit by fly by nighters, just blew into town looking for something easy to grab a few bucks then gone. If that is who you want to be mistaken with, then why not a number from India or something? (No offense to folks from India!)

Build a business or pretend; your call. And speaking of call? Get a local number! :wink:

6 Likes

And the ones who’ve been hit by the fly by nighters, spread the word. They just won’t trust enough to call. Get a local number! Sensing a trend here?

1 Like

To summarize, get a local number.

1 Like

So to sum up what a few guys have been saying…correct me if im wrong. But we should get a local number? I think that’s what their saying…could be wrong :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

lol.

1 Like

I know I would not feel comfortable doing business with someone that doesn’t have a local number.

I am surprised no one mentioned it, but I would get a local number.

5 Likes

Garry thanks for that bit of political correctness, lol. Last thing we would want to do is insult the vast Indian audience we have here on the WindowCleaner message boards!