WFP vs Traditional Methods

[QUOTE=TheWindowGuy;35180]However, I’ve used poles now instead of ladders. When scraping is nescessary, I soap the window with a strip washer, scrape with the scraper, and roughly squeegee…all with a pole. I then come back through with the wfp.QUOTE]

So where is your time savings. I can pole a window from the ground, but by the time I do that then set up a WFP, wash it, let it dry, check for spots, etc, I can throw ladders and get it done.

[quote="“IDOWINDOWS,post:21,topic:3309”]

In such a scenario, I come out even on the time, assuming it’s a 2 story or more job. But, the frames are clean, the windows are spotless, and there is no soap residue. So, next time I clean those windows, I get to zip through.
However, in this same scenario, if it were a one story home, I wouldn’t get out the wfp system. I rarely use it for one story homes, unless it’s all cutups.

BTW, I don’t check for spots. I check my TDS. I have the technique down. If my TDS is zero, I’m good to go. If any spots are left, they’ll be seen when I do the inside. If any are left…and that’s rare for me anymore…it’s just a matter of steel wool on a pole to correct the spot.

I want to add here that I’m selling my DI cart. See pics below. I’ve also got a 24 foot Extel hybrid. I’m selling them as a package at $1300. That’s $900 off what you’d pay from them new.

This is the first ever 2 stage DI cart made by Reach Higher Ground…the prototype, if you will. It works like a champ. It’s made me lots of money…LOTS.

Did you upgrade your system? :confused:

I’m about to. I haven’t settled on the exact system yet…but it’ll be RO/DI, and it’ll be from Reach Higher Ground.
And, I’ve already got a 56 foot Facelift pole. I’ve made a modification that makes it less of a pain to drop sections. So, I won’t be using the Extel much anymore.

Good choice on both fronts!:wink:

Not choosing sides on the issue but…

Remind me again what tools you use to clean interior windows. :wink:

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Very well said Pat. Thank you. Now I understand why I am not all excited about WFP cleaning. I live in New England. A lot of these guys live down south etc etc. Right now I use the WFP mostly on sky lights when the roof is steep, a New England feature, and third floor windows above roof lines, like dormers. Also, most of my customers go once a year and every two years so the glass is pretty dirty. Glass needs some TLC with a scrubby or steel wool and maybe a razor.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]To eliminate all set up time I carry a 4 gallon backpack sprayer in the van. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]My hog’s hair brush has 35 feet of hose on it. I clip the brush onto the top of my pole and the hose on my backpack sprayer and I’m cleaning windows in a couple minutes. This system is great when I’m only doing 5 or 6 windows, which is usually the case.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think guys with full systems might like a backpack for speed of set up in some situations.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I let the customer know what I’m doing and they are OK with it. But I don’t use it that often. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I’m bummed that I just saw this thread… getting late. :o

I see WFP users speaking about their quality in the marketing section…
I hope you’re my competition…
Because I gotcha on quality, all day… without even looking! :slight_smile:

Then I take it you have never used or know how to use a wfp. I see quality in my work and my customers are thrilled. So, I say I gotcha on quality, time saved & time is money.

I was talking to a wcer today about my wfp vs his traditional method and they were trying to tell me that the traditional method is much better. I asked him if he has ever used a wfp… his answer… NO. :confused:

In my honest opinion, I feel wcers that don’t have a wfp put it down simply because they do not have one, most likely because of the price tag. And this worries them that they are getting left behind on technology and by putting it down they think it will somehow makes things better for them. In other words you put down the competition to try and make yourself look better.

I will say however the wfp is not suitable for all jobs, in that case I go the traditional method. So I don’t recommend going the wfp route if you do not have experience in the traditional method first.

I saw a snippet from a British news report on wfp vs traditional. They had 2 window cleaners do similar windows and the wfp pole results were the same on the glass but of course the frames were cleaned w/ the wfp and it was done faster. The objection I hear often is what if you have stubborn debris? Well if you do traditional methods you still run into this stuff and you have to do what I would w/ the wfp - get out your scraper - so it’s a moot point. The times I can’t use wfp (or any pole for that matter) is when I’m doing storms, the glazing is falling out of the window, or CCU.

I was really expecting to get chewed out, logging on today. But you guys didn’t… that says a lot about the people here! :slight_smile:

I figured that by being more engaging, I would get a more natural reaction.
I’m really not a bad guy! :smiley:

I don’t fear technology, I embrace it! And price isn’t an issue. I spend a fortune on tools, poles, ladders, rolling rigs, etc. It takes money to make money.

Now, what is this technique people speak of?
What is the right vs. wrong?

For commercial buildings…
Go along and get the top frame, rubber seal, and top 2 or 3 inches of each window in the top row. Rinse well. Do several windows this way at the same time. Come back, doing the rest of the glass, avoiding the top 2 or 3 inches, while at the same time cleaning the bottom rubber seal, frame, and top rubber seal of the glass below if it’s a curtain of windows. Do several windows, come back, and repeat the process, working your way to the bottom of the building.
There’s old soap (from previous window cleanings) and dirt that are trapped under those seals. You first release and rinse this crud away, allow it time to drip dry, and come back and clean the rest of the glass.

As for residential…
Homes don’t have the rubber seal around the edges. But, many homes have vinyl frames. When wfp’ing, you’re cleaning the frames too. Vinyl frames can oxidize. This oxidation is released when you wfp it. You have to be watching the water flow down the window. If there’s a milky appearance in the flow, that’s the vinyl oxidation. You have to scrub and rinse until the water is running clearly.

Like Jim Willingham used to say, it’s not window cleaning on a stick. You have to learn how to use it, just like you did a squeegee.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I just did a search on this forum and found out that WCR sells an electric backpack sprayer. Mine has a hand pump, but the electric ones are very popular in the UK. Here’s the link http://www.windowcleaner.com/vBulletin/showthread.php5?t=3418&highlight=backpack[/FONT][/COLOR]

WCR sells a backpack from Reach Higher Ground. It’s electric. I’m going to have to get one myself.

I disagree on CCU. I think it is a good idea to give the new glass exterior a once over with the WFP. We just finished one that was a very large home with a gazillion frenchies and we hit them all with the WFP first and then just touched up what was needed nose-to-glass. It saved time and regardless it took all of the dust and grime off so we could see what we were dealing with. I suggest to anyone new to doing CCU to not be afraid to use the WFP on new glass in CCU situations. Shawn Gavin suggests it and now that I’ve seen it’s results, I am convinced that it is the route to take.

Another tidbit to keep in mind is hidden scratches. Once you hit the glass once over with the WFP you can go inside and do an inspection and see some things that perhaps you could not have before you cleaned the exteriors with the WFP. Being conscientious on a CCU gig is huge.

I probably should have prefaced that statement better. To do a complete job on a CCU I can’t just use a wfp. I will more than likely have to go nose to glass to get everything. I agree that the wfp can help tremendously in getting alot of construction dust and garbage off the glass and will save a ton of time in not having to change out the water in my bucket so often.

Here is a good example of a company that is ignorant about the wfp, but puts it down to make themselves look better.

[email protected]

That’s an email link. Do you have the web address?

Sorry about that, here it is.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hss/1072468963.html