What did you do before this line of work, and how has it helped you

One thing which hurts me as we grow is I really never worked for anyone else. Sure cleaned glass for a dude for a few years off and on but beyond that nothing besides highschool jobs and self-employment.

I know one who worked in the tech industry, it’s amazing how easy it is for him to use technology to benefit his company.

Heard window Jesus worked in a call center, clearly that helped him create phone scripts and know how to incentivize his sales people

Hearing Josh L talk his previous years as a banker I believe helped him in this industry. EBITDA is a term I have not heard since college and even then half the fiance majors had no clue what it meant.

Just curious what others have done in completely different jobs which has benefited them. There is a small part of me which wishes I spent 2 years working under an solid manager and see how some of the organizational structure worked.

3 Likes

I was a poker dealer and a shift manager for a few big hotels on the strip.

Looking back has helped me see what a terrible manager I was. I always wanted to be friends with my co workers. Letting them bend/break the rules and looking the other way. I was always pissed for being passed over for a full time manager spot but now I understand completely. So looking forward I am learning how to separate my overall kindness and making sound business decisions because of it.

Another way those jobs have helped me is it always put me in customer satisfaction first mode. We were taught to do almost anything to make a customer happy. I have some stories lol.

Robbie

1 Like

I spent 12 years in manufacturing recreational vehicles. Most of those years with Keystone RV.

Many things that transfer over. How to work with others, getting work done quickly along with quality, having a routine is important, importance of prep work to get done quickly.

The company at peak production has 3,000+ plus employees. They have systems in place for hiring, orientation, safety, quality control, discipline procedures for code violations and misconduct. Training procedures were similar at all 8+ plants. When I would help out other plants; it was easy to fill in and typically not miss a beat.

So, this along with some of the system that @Chris set in place with All County Window, and that are available through WCRA; I am going to transition from owning a job to owning a business!

1 Like

welder, car wash attendant, insulation company owner, 1 hour photo owner (3 stores 22 years), real estate sales, car sales.
my background gave me experience in system building although listening to josh and chris i realize while i had some success i must take it much further than i did in the past.

I’m a former “Milk Man’s assistant.”

1 Like

Alright, honest answer…

I was a sales manager at a dealership, which is usually gained from being Top Sales.

And I was.

Benefit: I make it a practice to have a rehearsed answer to EVERY objection.
And if I run into a NEW one…

• I take it
  • spend time figuring out a response
  • practice it,
  • and make it roll of the tongue with little/no effort

I’ve advised this 100 times, but most probably didn’t care enough to pay attention.
(and by “Care” I don’t mean about their business, more like ‘dismissing’ my advice, because… I’m ME)

Experience brings turndowns
Experience from turndowns brings answers
Objections are as easy as 1+1=2 when you know/practice the answer.

6 Likes

worked in food court at bowling ally in high school (mom bought me a car and two days later said her friend has an opening told me no job no car.
helped with customer service
did samples at costco during college
leaned how to sale and interact with public
did an government internship with city
learned office politics
iso9001 systems and implementations for efficiency.
owned an outdoor marketing and event staffing company for 4 yrs
leaned that running a business/job is hard and stressful. lot of pressure to produce work for employees, learned that i hated working in the marketing field
worked as a window cleaner for over a year as window cleaner doing high rise caulking window cleaning pressure washing and waterproofing. was also a the residential manager for 5 months.
learned that i really like cleaning windows and doing exterior maintenance (almost obsessed with it).
this time around have learned from my first business what not to do to avoid burn out and systematize stuff to avoid chaos.

1 Like

This is great. So powerful.

I have done every crappy job under the sun. Golf course maintenance, construction, laborer, framer, plumbing, restaurant server, dishwasher, paperboy, housekeeping, ride attendant, telemarketing and so many more. Window cleaning was the first job I kinda liked.

I was a store manager for a corporate dine in restaurant. Worked my way up from a server. I was in charge of all day to day operations including payroll , food cost , labor and training other store managers for the company. I left that job after 8 years to start my business. I bartended at night for 2 and a half years and cleaned windows during the day until I was able to get enough buisness to leave and do this full time.

3 Likes

I owned and operated 3 Pizza Restaurants

2 Likes

Worked for a couple of banks for about 12 years . Did every position under the sun , teller, new accounts , loans , manager . Yeah you learn how to talk to peoe in a professional manner , learn about the banking system . The biggest thing I think I took away is confidentiality, ones in people’s homes and you see lots of things They don’t want you telling the neighbors

1 Like

I’ve done it all too. Paper route, AC/heating. house painter , Carpet Cleaning , laborer , land scaping , Elevator mechanics union , home improvements , Cook ,
Then worked as a window cleaner for many years for a few different companies

I remember back in he 80s when I was s house painter I use to say to my friends who were window cleaners how in the hell do you guys do this in the winter :tired_face:

I think ive done every job under the sun,
Labor,construction,telemarketing,electronic component sales (chips not tvs). Then owned and operated a auto detailing reconditioning company for years and years then a buddy
Introduced me to window cleaning…(wait did i say buddy) :wink:

(Edit)

I forgot to add “How has it helped”

Well it taught me how to deal with all sorts of people and there little quarks.

1 Like

how was that?

Where they delivery only or sit down restaurants. No clue why but always told myself I would never get into a restaurant/food business with the exception of a pizza delivery place

Most of my background was corporate technology sales. I also owned another window cleaning business, sold the accounts, went back to sales, did some sales recruiting on my own had a couple of nice accounts but hated working with candidates. My last sales position was with an outsourced IT firm, which really is a service business. Learned a lot about delivering a high level of service there, tracking service satisfaction and benchmarks.

With my background being in corporate sales it really helps to teach yourself how to push hard, hit goals and grind out everyday for your quota. I also know how to manage sales people, motivate them, compensate them and know what key metrics to focus on their performance with. It also helps to know how to sale because I have no issues calling on larger accounts and being able to get to decision makers. My best accounts were cold calls.

Also, being in corporate sales and earning a 6 figure income most of the time, it really makes you want to grow because the reality is that you’re lifestyle matches your income. So when I got back into the business, I knew I needed to create a successful model and quick to replace my income, benefits, etc.

2 Likes

I am the owner of A&B Cleaning

Grocery stocker, tree trimmer, fish cutter and retail seafoofd sales, tire and exhaust system installations, shipping and receiving, Kirby vacuum sales, real estate sales, custom glass case manufacturing and sales.
I learned a lot of different things about myself, about people in general, about customer service about managing work flow. The one thing I didn’t learn though, which I am just learning, is about operating a profitable business.

1 Like

So true…

Theres so much to learn.

I’m a fireman full time, run my WC business on the side. I’ve also worked in high end restaurants as a server, and a call center in college. It has helped me in my customer interaction, I have no problem handling and climbing ladders, my customer service is above average. It has hurt me in that I have little to no experience in sales with the exception of working as a server, but not the same, and also I have never really had to overcome objective to sales so this has been a fairly large learning curve. It’s one thing to read about it and practice it, but another thing when using it in a practical situation. I am still working on it and trying to get to where as @JfromtheD says, it rolls of the tongue.

1 Like