What is the most important marketing principle that you have learned?

[B]What is the most important marketing strategy or marketing principle that you have learned? [/B]

In your opinion?

I’m not sure if this is what you want but for me, I think it was the decision to look, act and work proffessionally. I get compliments all the time from the local folks. People notice and tell their friends.

I’d have to say paying more attention to the wording of the flier. I still use pictures, but I try to let them compliment the writing, not the other way around.

I think the single most important marketing strategy I’ve learned is that it’s not about me or my company. It’s all about the customer.

The name of my company is the last thing listed on my flyer. If it was the first thing listed on the flyer I have messed up by immediately talking about me. It’s the customer’s money that will be spent so we better start out right off the bat talking about them.

Present the problem or issue that THEY have and give them reasons why THEY will benefit from the services being offered.

Another thing I’ve learned is that the best form of advertising can’t be bought. That would be word of mouth referrals. You just can’t buy them. You have to earn them and that only comes through very hard work, great attitude, pride in your work, professionalism, presenting yourself well to customers, doing great work, and simply doing all the right things that make a customer want to tell all of their friends about you.

Doing all of these “right things” is a wonderful strategy. It’s the one thing that will fill your calendar up and keep you in business for years. It will also save on advertising dollars. I guess this is a long term or long range strategy. This is probably the main strategy that I work at each day while working my business.

Take pride in your work. They (the customer) will know because it will show. They are so very impressed by this.

I think pictures speak a thousand words.
Smiling helps too.
I think this is a great topic, and I like the previous answers more than my own, but felt compelled to give my opinion regardless

I like them to say just a few :smiley:

Most important principle I have learned so far?

to listen

The most important lesson I’ve learned in marketing is to target the material towards the right person. Get it into the hands of the decision maker. If you send it to the wrong place, it winds up in the trash can. I’m refering to commercial accounts, which makes up 80% of my business. Residences are different, marketing material has a good chance of reaching the person who wants the windows cleaned.

I guess my choice would be: [B]Always be marketing
[/B]
Use every possible interaction with a existing customer or potential customer as a potential opportunity.

Tune in & crank the dial on the station you are listening to. Use aids if you have to, don’t be afriad to turn the dial to get a better reception at both ends.

no matter where you are, theres always an opportunity to get new clients, pass out your business cards, always let people know what you do,when youre not actually cleaning windows…at my daughters softball game today I handed one of the dads a few cards, turns out he builds houses…said he knew of a couple people who may be interested; dirty windows at a business(we all notice them now dont we?) ask to talk to the mgr, leave an estimate…theres customers all around us ,everywhere we go…

Agreed 100%. I tell people all the time because I really believe it "it’s not what you know, its who you know!! Make contacts everywhere you go.

Thx for the feedback everyone.

I would answer this question this way:

[B]The most important marketing principle I have learned is that people buy based on [I]emotion[/I], not logic/reason.[/B]

Absolutely! People buy on emotion then justify it with logic.

Which is why there is the term “buyers remorse”. That’s when they couldn’t logically justify the purchase. Sadly I am a reoccurring victim of “buyers remorse” :rolleyes:

I agree 100% Kevin. It’s up to us as marketing sub-gurus to ensure that they are feeling good emotions. That is paramount for selling.

It’s funny that you mention those two reasons for making decisions from the customer standpoint. Right now I am in another book studying how to close sells. The chapter I just read deals with objections to the sell/price/whatever. Emotion and logic are two of the biggest reasons people object to your invitation to purchase. I’ve recently learned that you must listen to their objection, qualify it, empathize with it, and then test it. After then, and only then, after all objections have been handled, you should ask for the sell. If the purchaser still doesn’t want to commit, you may need to back up and see where you aren’t offering them what they need (the warm and fuzzy feeling that is so prized by prospects when they buy something).

Nice points Kevin, everyone else too. Let’s do more about this and other topics.

Yup, this sequence is essential.

It is soooooo vital for people to realize this stuff, even for a “simple” flyer/mailer.

I screwed up an ad recently because of this very thing. That mistake was about a $100,000 in sales