What is the sweet spot, what's the score here?

[MENTION=7230]c_wininger[/MENTION] I have so much to say about this… I am marking this now and will return after work today… hopefully around 3pm but I am too driven to say no if I can add something else to the schedule.

I will be back.

@Louie_the_Window_Guy
You never came back to this comment and I’m really looking forward to extra comments! Share!

1 Like

Great thread. Not often do we get to delve into metaphysics here!

Interesting that @Chris saw an average field technician lasting 3 years. I’ve seen that 2-years seems to be some weird “breaking point” for our field technicians.

At that point some of them start to develop an enormous ego and it gets in the way of their own success; if that makes any sense. Some also start to think they are worth more than the market will pay them.

1 Like

Not always David. But you know that.

It funny how each industry has a “breaking point” for employees and also customers/clients

Now is this because human nature constantly feels the need to change and adapt…?

1 Like

You’re probably right Steve… human nature… what a weird thing.

And I did say some employees :grinning:. Luckily I don’t have much turnover so I don’t have a sample size of hundreds or thousands. Yet.

1 Like

I know David, my reply could have gone a total different direction, without your thought out word placement, just image what direction this thread could have went… :sunglasses:

Let’s see if my reply sparks a different end result.

1 Like

:vulcan_salute:

A good amount of employees end up like this. “We do all the work, we deserve what you make”. I can admit this was me at one of my previous jobs. That is also when I realized I need to work for myself. With my current employer, I work and go home. That previous attitude does nothing but cause trouble.

Society doesn’t help. With all the YouTube success that so many people have, every one else wants to be like them. People dont want to work normal jobs when they see a bunch making a killing doing something fun. Not just YouTube of course. But, it is having an effect on people and how they look at working full time. Especially, when they are making market money.

I read somewhere in a business book that some study found 2-3 years max for jobs you can teach someone to do

the employee is maxxed out, “done everything” seen everything" can do the task blindfolded and is bored out of their mind

which corresponds to most in corporate office life, people want to switch departments, move on , learn something new, do something new etc etc

it works for the business owner/self employed since there is so much more to work with than just the task of window cleaning plus the freedom, flexibility and accountability to only oneself

I think again that’s why the large comml outfits do well in not falling into this. Employees work together in a group = comraderie and buildings are large multiday projects or longer and can be very complex in nature. multiple teams, room for career advancement foremen, project managers, sales, marketing, admin etc etc

vs storefront, lowrise and residential which is pretty routine and 1 dimensional with minimal advancement beyond crew leader

I found that statement in that book very interesting, it answered some observations at the time and had a contributing factor to my direction from that point on

an exception would be a part timer who is busy with other interests and the job is just a means to an end and as long as it achieves that, they’ll happily continue on

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that @Bruce. It makes since.

1 Like

Sums up many observations and conversations about the topic. Funny though how most human beings crave stability but at some point the need for change or growth overtakes the need for stability.

Further question is … accept it as it is or try to change it somehow?

There is a waitress at a diner in my area that retired after 50 years in the position at the same diner. Rare breed? Really enjoyed her work? Who knows.

You have to change the fabric of society to change that. There was a time when the man was the sole bread winner, and stability in a job was of utmost importance. The family depended on him to bring home the money to support everyone in the household.

Couple that with the fact that wages don’t inflate with the cost of inflation. A dollar today buys less then it did before. Goods and services are expensive. So, people are always looking for an opportunity to make more for themselves.

2 Likes

Good stuff Bruce @WindowGuysLV

Thank you. This is one I have not read yet.

Have you read clock work ? It’s on my list to read , gonna start today

I have but just downloaded it when I’m done with my other books… hopefully by New Years.

1 Like

THIS IS WHERE I’M AT! I have 2 FT and 1 PT working with me. I esnt get the work load to such that I can work the first 3 hrs in the field (7-10 one or two house, load the biggest at the beginning) then 4 hrs in the office/ field sales. Cut it back to me and two FT and bring in a PT for spring and fall.

Read this as I wait for a late guy. I’ve had more expenses in the last 2 months than the first 3.5 years combined. They break stuff (screens, tires, windows, squeegee), lose stuff and show up late, need to leave early. etc. I try to be super flexible. I put my guys on as subs and they like the flexibility. This winter I’ll likely turn them in to employees and have greater control over several of the issues. I’m still learning while rolling in the snowball.

1 Like

Typos aside, I discerned your post. You sound like you are a that time, where you need to reign in the cattle, but also have to have to provide room for them to roam.

• It sux, and it’s tenuous.
1 Like

Funny to read this thread, familliar names…

• would like to see a “where are they now” reply, as an “in hindsight.”
2 Likes