What would you charge?

I’m giving an estimate for a 2 story building with 97 panels on 2nd floor and 97 panels on 1st floor, windows are on average about 5’x5’. Easy access w/ pole or ladder to 2nd floor. Outside only. My bid has to be competitive as someone already currently performs service twice a yr. I have a good connection with the building owner since I have family that has the janitorial contract and are trying to give me some business. I was thinking about charging between $1455 and $1649. Is this reasonable, too low, too high? I charged similar per panel rates for a smaller 2 story building but this is much larger.

Here’s a pic of side of building.

Theres no link to a pic provided.

My bid has to be competitive as someone already currently performs service twice a yr.

There’s no way to know what they charge now, so it’s impossible to be ‘competitive’. They could be WAY overpaying, or getting it done dirt cheap.

My advice would be to forget about the guys doing it now, and forget about trying to figure out what they’re charging, and focus only on how much money you want to make on this job.

It’s about you and what you’re willing to work for. If it takes you 5 hours, do you want to earn $300/hr? If so, charge $1500. If it takes you a full day with a helper, you’re still gonna make fantastic cash for the pricing that you’ve shown above.

Will it be close to what your competitor charges? Who knows.

I’ve got competition that will charge WAY less than me, and some that charge more. I try not to care too much about them, and charge as much as I believe I can get away with with each prospect, while keeping them feeling good about our company and services.

Make sense?

Maybe you could charge $3000, and maybe they pay only $600 right now. Charge what you need to make it worth YOUR while.

Just make sure you impress them with your quote.

I agree with Kevin. Make sure that your estimate is nice. Try to put it in a presentation format with some digital pics of their building and your cleaning something similar. Or try a video as Kevin does for his customers. IO am sure that will impress.

I recently did a hotel in my town: three floors 66 panes per floor. Exterior only. I charged $650. That may be cheap, but I’ve got them in a three year contract with price increases every year. It only took us 6.5 hours for the first clean. I know that the subsequent cleanings will go faster.

Yep, make it worth your time.

oops

sounds high to me, but east tn prices arent what they should be. we do a similar job with 3 times the panes, outside only, 16 man hrs,for a grand. we make out alright for around here.

oops

If you are going to be standing on roof ridges ROPERIDER, you maybe would want to say oops a little less:D
What part of the UK do you hail from?

Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess your right Kevin that I shouldn’t worry about the competition, so I’ll submit my price and see what happens. The guy is out of town till end of month so that’ll give me plenty of time to think about it and prepare a nice estimate. Hope I get it! I go nuts trying to figure out what a job is worth…I don’t wanna rip myself off but also want reasonable pricing.

Great - hope you get it for big bucks!

Remember - pricing is completely subjective. There is no definitive measuring stick for what any job is “worth” or whether it is “reasonable”.

No matter what you charge, someone will call you greedy, and others will think you could have maybe charged more. The only measurement is the eye of the beholder, and what they’d be willing to pay.

Anyway…I’m getting carried away here…

I hope you get this carried away at the Regional you have a 15 minute seminar spot. Oops did I just tell you now.

Hi Kevin,

I enjoyed your response but, I have a question regarding how to build a window cleaning business plan which could give me an idea about how to build a successful window cleaning business that will allow me to primairly focus on building the business by being the head sales person.

R,
Stuart - young squeegee

you forgot to ask the question.

I think the question was inside the question about the question. Seemed obvious to me. :slight_smile:

Cool. Thx Anthony…now I’ve gotta come up with something to say…

Good question, Stuart.

Here’s the answer, and your ingenious, simple business plan:

[INDENT][I]1.You spend your time developing and rolling out awesome marketing tools and campaigns to make the phone ring, and get people to spend a lot on your high-quality window cleaning services.

2.You pay someone else that you trust to do the “actual” cleaning work, and you pay them enough to keep them caring about doing a good job for your clients.

1. You pay someone else (could be the same person as above) to do the mundane, required business stuff un-related to marketing, for you.

4.You keep the rest of the money.

5.Repeat.[/I][/INDENT]

This is the explosive secret that almost no window cleaning business owners (including almost every single one of the hard-working guys on this forum) follow.

Shame, really. Truly is, I mean that.

There is more you need to be aware of too, of course, but that’s your basic plan above, as far as the investment of your personal time goes.

I believe there are, in fact, 5 keys to building an incredibly profitable window cleaning company as fast as possible…(based on my own experience)

Personality
Observation
Willingness
Excellence
Replication

The “power” strategy.

But…at the risk of sounding like a broken record…the focus of your efforts, time-wise, must be as described above, with you focusing on your marketing only.