What would you do if screens are bent after replacing them?

I use .250 foam core for the Andersons. Just big enough to safely hold the screens in, but small enough so that your hand isn’t blister city after pushing in foam core all day.

A nice pointer too… if you’re doing a bunch of them, unreel the spline and let it bake on the driveway. Its much easier to work with when its hot and pliable.

Definitely get them fixed. Next time remove the cranks or the blinds. Just charge accordingly. That’s my two cents. It sucks when I damage customer’s property. I feel awful. Bottom line for me is customer satisfaction. We all make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I have made it a point to point out any bent screens BEFORE starting a job,
And tell em we are not responsible for self installed screens.
Find a GREAT screen guy.
I know I have.
( tip of the hat to jack in Austin )
Pax

So I just Googled this C.R. Laurence, since I wanted to have it bookmarked in case I need anything. They are like 5 miles down the road from me. Small world, huh?

I’ve had this experience. I believe in your particular case, just as mine, that the crank itself didn’t play a role in the screens not coming out. Some customers have blinds and shades that are installed into the frames an inch give or take, preventing you from removing the screens without either removing the shades or cranking out the window and doing both sides from the outside. In my particular case, they had over 30 windows that required a 32 ft ladder and over 70 windows that required the 24… Pretty much kissed my average dollar per hour goodbye.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

Cleaning both sides from the outside is good and all, but what do you do if the customer wants the screens cleaned and you can’t get them out because of the blinds or whatever being installed too close to them?

You tell them you can’t get them out but you can still mop and towel them clean. You don’t need to remove them to clean them.

Mop the whole screen and then towel it dry. If you don’t get every inch wet, it doesn’t seem to work as well.

I don’t mop screens. I have a pouch on my belt that I keep a really wet towel in for screens. Typically a microfiber because it holds more water. Screens will dry themselves. It is more efficient for me to do it this way.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

Replace the screens, chalk it up to lessons learned.

It takes 1 second to glance over a window and screen to check it before you start cleaning, if you notice anything abnormal or damage - just whip out the smartphone and snap a pic while the window is still dirty. Then at the end of the job always let the customer know about anything out of the ordinary you found and offer them a way to fix it or to refer them to someone who will fix it (I work hand in hand with a window replacement company - we get each other work), do that and your butt is always covered and the customer believes you really do care about their property.

I like to look for bent screens and scratched glass when I give estimate, talk with the customer about those at that time, and then when the job is done give them another quick verbal walk through of what I saw on their glass. The customers either love it or don’t care, but I repair and replace screens as an add on and sold a lady on having all the mesh on her screens replaced today simply by pointing out that a few of them were frayed and on their last legs. That counters yesterday where I couldn’t remember if a screen was bent before I got there or not so I just fixed it for the guy for free just in case I did it. End of the day all it comes down to is money in my pocket and a happy customer.

I love the idea of using your camera phone. We’ve got all this technology but something like just that isn’t obvious. Good tip.

Those handles are removable like everyone has said I think you just need a multi hex head tool as far as replacing just the bottom piece you will have to find the exact same frame that Anderson is using. All frame is not the same and the will only fit with the corners they are made for. If you can get the same frame great you can just cut a bottom piece and replace and re spline. You can’t re bend them. Other wise look at replacing them. If you find an ace that still does screen they are pretty cheap just make sure they are the right size frame looks like 3/4" x 5/16" bronze and my guess is they have spring tabs on the top. Just make sure you measure precisely to big and your screwed a little to small you can work with