What's the average profit in s day for one man doing residential?

3 years later, during the busy season if i’m doing repeat customers i can do up to $700 a day but would probably average $500 a day

3 Likes

$500 is about what I make in a day here in Florida 3-4 jobs.

1 Like

as a reference, full day labor charges by businesses are around $750 ($125/hr @ 6 billable hours a day)

dial it in for your area but look at mechanic hourly rates posted and talk to whoever you can like plumbers electricians and window installers etc to see what businesses charge in your area

the more you get your rates in that range now the more it will support hiring and growth later (if you feel/find there’s a gap it will take a combination of marketing (not the same as advertising) and dialing in your formulas for bids, and especially you getting used to those new numbers)

4 Likes

What I can make in a long day? 400-650. Now, what i do make consistantly per day is much lower. Still building that client list, and I think I will be doing more resi and larger commercial.

1 Like

This maybe my all time favorite post on this forum! Great info guys, thank you for sharing.

2018 was my best year yet. I more then doubled gross income over 2017. Looking back I averaged about $80 gross, per working hour. Not counting drive time, office time etc.

My longest resi day was 9 hours and I my tickets totaled about $780

4 Likes

Where abouts in FL?

Anywhere there is a window in this state

Hi Cassidy,
I would like to talk to you more about this topic. I can be reached at 914.294.5988 Morris.

Very good advice. But at the same time, don’t let their numbers limit you.

In my area:

$40-$50/hr is quite common for construction, painting, and other contracting services (that’s for companies with fulltime employees; it’s crazy how low some of the solo guys are around here)

My mechanic’s shop rate is around $90

Our CPA is $100 or $125, I think

Our lawyer is $210/hr for his time and I think only $70/hr for paralegal work

I do around $70-$80/hr for traditional window cleaning, $100 for gutter cleaning, $125-$150+ for wfp work, and $200+ for power washing, with certain commercial projects exceeding $250/hr. $300-$400/hr is not unheard of for power washing guys with better equipment and more dialed-in processes (that’s mostly in the northeast; other markets are more competitive and $100-$150/hr is more typical)

This isn’t to brag; I’m certainly not getting rich. But just to demonstrate to the new guys: don’t limit yourself.

2 Likes

That’s hard to say due to a lot of factors, including size of job, travel time, services rendered, the number of jobs you can realistically schedule in one day, and speed (production rate). I make the most money on exterior cleaning only, and I tend to make less money when cleaning interior, exterior, screens, sills and tracks. So far this year my rate has averaged $93 per hour, mostly because I have been getting a lot of requests for exterior cleaning only. The lowest was profit was for a small job that required a lot of detailing. The highest was a job at a 3-story home with 100% french panes (441 indivisual panes, inside and out), which took me 5.5 hours. However, these figures are not straight profit, since I have not factored in self-employment taxes, travel, or supplies.

The O.P. must be actually asking about Gross Sales. Almost all the posters have responded as if that was actually the intention of the question. Either they don’t understand the business definition of Profit or he is misusing the term. Although Gross Revenue is a big deal in any business it is the Profit Margin that determines a business’ true viability. At least if you are in business to make money. If I answered their post as $100.00 average per day. We may have actually had gross sales of $650.00. A 15% net pretax profit is considered pretty good for any service business ( obviously I am assuming absentee owner scenario in this example ).

$150/hr minimum for wfp of medium sized buildings. $200-260/hr for larger. $300-400 for pressure washing balconies (mostly in Spring).

All by cargo bikes, trailers, and ebikes… The lowest overhead humanly possible. April-July full time. Sept-Dec 3 days/wk. Winters off.

3 Likes

Some of those balconies in Montreal are crazy to get to; and it is as though they have their second living outside on some of them!!!

I’m aiming for $65-85 hr now but will begin slowly bringing up prices 1-2% each time. (check out WCR Nation on YopuTube with Jersey).

good point Alex, I should probably say instead to use as a gauge for minimum of what want to dial into, and naturally different leverages will produce higher

1 Like

Good point, profit is a whole other animal based on so many other things that are the choice of the business owner

but for the poster, the book simple numbers will be a real eye opener

as WDW said about the 15%, for profit just look at 15% of daily average and there’s your profit number, or adjust accordingly

which for an absentee business one is pretty much looking at 5-10 guys and 1-2mil annually to be absentee, and pretty much at the higher end since you’ll need mgmt. and office staff and an office plus trucks, 3 mil would be more comfortable (15 guys in field generating 200k each)

The question you need to ask yourself is how much do you pay yourself after business expenses? Self employed/Owner Operator you get paid what percentage of pay after business expenses and taxes?
You do not have to post that here - write it down on paper for this quarter, then make adjustments and do it again differently for next quarter. Can you do that year after year and pay all of your bills, put 7-10% in savings, take one or two vacations per year?

Adjust as needed.

2 Likes

You all are making so little… 1000-1200 a day we make.

Aaron

How many hours in a day?

8 - Company brings in 100-150 an hour.