Which Is Easier?

Is it easier to hire and train competent window cleaning technicians or is it easier to find people to train as power washing technicians, assuming all things being equal and that they aren’t cross trained.

My personal experience is that people like doing one job or the other but rarely is a guy cut out for both.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I like doing them both. But I like doing waterproofing and caulking the most.

I think it is harder to train a window cleaner then a pressure washer. Training someone in caulking is the hardest

Window Cleaning has minute details, PWash is more of a broader scope.

The expectation of perfection is higher for a 4ft piece of glass
with sunlight beaming through, than it is for the East side of a house.

my analogy has been:

window cleaning = finish carpentry

power washing = rough framing

power washing seems like higher $ liability, but I suppose it can be a draw either job with one person causing massive $ damage in minutes

If you are training someone in pressure washing you will have to be on site while trainee does a Job start to finish to evaluate if he knows what chemicals and procedures to use. I think more damage can be done by un skilled pressure washer.

as usual [MENTION=1377]Bruce[/MENTION] is on point. i’ll frame it slightly different: window cleaning is like painting portraits, pressure washing is like hand carving a totem pole.

they are the same, but different.

window cleaning: takes more fine motor skill and attention to detail. requires more of an “eye for detail”. takes a more refined appreciation for the customer’s expectations. liability level: 9. potential profit ability: 6

pressure washing: takes more problem solving ability. requires more endurance and a greater tolerance for personal discomfort. requires an individual to be more mechanically inclined to really excel. takes a greater level of “can do” attitude and more flexibility with regard to one’s approach to work. liability level: 8. potential profit ability: 10.

i totally disagree with that. an untrained window cleaner can do 10’s of thousands in unfixable damage in an hour or two with a scraper. there isn’t much a bad pressure washer can do that can’t be fixed. a few things, but not many.

Exotic mosaic tile work seems to be the most difficult to train.

Pressure washing seems like common sense… particularly if you have painting/staining experience.

Windows are weird to teach. I teach skiing and climbing to both adults and kids. It doesn’t matter how well they perform as long as they enjoy and take something from it.

Cleaning glass is a skilled trade with multiple variables, including people skills. It’s like teaching golf to a neophyte…

^ and you can hire a kid to sand a jacked up deck for $8/hour, an orbital sander, and $20 worth of sandpaper if you screw it up. try teaching a kid to polish scratches out of a window… or glue a tiffany lamp back together, or steam clean 100% lambswool carpet…

You are totally right the razor can f stuff up fast. I never let a new person use a razor unless I am next to them. And teaching spacial awareness in a house takes time for sure. My first day at my old Job, I broke a $500 sculpture since I was not use to the hip bucket. The lady told me I was lucky it was not the one next to it, it was $4000. She gave us a discount for the piece since she should have move her works out of the way. The company end up pay to work instead of working for pay.

Interesting break down Caleb

Window tech and PW Tech are just two different skill sets that can learned, I believe it just depends on the teacher and the student.

The other issue is the higher standard needed for the window cleaner. Most people aren’t as picky about the personal appearance of someone working outside the house as they are about someone coming into every room.

I think the potential pool of candidates is far larger with power washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource