Why are window cleaners so reticent about their income?

Also, remember this for what it’s worth; if he isn’t charging sales tax and your state requires it, and you want to be a legit business, you will have to start charging it. Those customers might not like that and will “fire” you. If he barters for work, is that what you want to do? I mean, how many slices does it take to pay your electric?

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

He gets paid cash, and pays me cash. …Tells me he doesn’t have insurance because he doesn’t do ladder work. I do all of the ladder and transom windows. We’ll see where this goes.

I don’t even remember the last time or even if there was a time I needed a ladder for route work an a transom is done with a stick

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

From what I’ve seen here on the forum, I would say average take home for a single operator is around 50-80k. That figure can vary a lot, but I would say its close to what’s true

Insurance is something that should be a top priority to have… Go get some insurance, become a WCRA member, get a few t shirts for yourself (even a couple shirts made quick on vista print are better than a dirty white t shirt) business cards… Storefront work isn’t hard to do but difficult to obtain. If this guy has one foot in the grave just go out and market yourself as the insured business that will be around for the long run (not ending their long run)
unpopular opinion I’m sure, but go out and do it for you and stop helping this guy for pennies on the dollar

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

How was he cleaning transoms before you came along? In 30+ years, he’s never had insurance?

I’d be nervous doing “ladder work” for this guy. You break something, he’s going to point at YOU.

I have a few points that should help you:
I had a buddy who worked Boulder a few years ago and in his first year doing mainly residential he had easily $25000 doing part time.
Not having insurance is not cool, period.
$15 an hour is cool and cash is good but the longer you stay with him the deeper your roots get and leaving gets harder.
$10-12 per double hung should work out well for you.
Pole work at 15’ sideways hanging out a window is not always going to end well, as you get more experience you will see better ways to do it.
If you want to succeed as your own business then do it to the max and you will, without a doubt.
Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Cash under table? No insurance? Doesn’t know how much he grosses or nets? RED FLAG! RED FLAG! RED FLAG!
This sounds exactly like the kind of business owner most of us here want to stay as far away from as possible. You might be better off getting a part time job flip’n burgers and spending the rest of your time building your own brand and business.

How much experience do you really need from this guy? If you already have the basics the rest comes with time, time that could be spent on your own jobs. That is with insurance and tax accountability :wink:
Just my $.02

-why-window-cleaners-so-reticent-about-their-income?

because they are all lying especially online

Especially if they take cash only…

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

The bottom line to to this thread is that [MENTION=36863]walkthruglass[/MENTION] is be strung along by a shady guy! [B]{from what walktruglass has told us}[/B]
walktruglass is what I can call you since you still have not finished your profile signature yet. You can make a go of it on your own as long as you have a the proper document in place.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ll probably work with the guy for another month or so, then move along. I’m getting clients through the climbing gym I work at, so that should be a good way to get my foot in the door. We don’t have swiveling gear for transoms, so we use a small step ladder.

Who is a good insurance provider for a single operator?

Steve. My signature is somewhat complete. I don’t know what else to put on my ‘about’ section. I had trouble trying to get an avatar up.

My advice is to get insurance, join the WCRA, and pound the pavement handing out business cards to some business so you can get some commercial accounts.

I switched to Joseph D. Walters a couple months ago, got a nice little discount being a WCRA member as well. It’s catered to WC/PW services which I liked and was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than my last insurance provider.

I’m a single operator as well, I’m still learning the business aspect of all this every day. Use this forum to your advantage and ask questions even if you think it’s dumb.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts

Keith, I think that would be a good idea for you to part ways with this guy as soon as you can.
There plenty of work out there you just have to go get it.

Use the search feature here you will find out almost any thing you have a question about in regard to window cleaning and more.
If you have a question that you can’t find the answer to after doing a really good search, Ask away with a new topic post and IM sure that somebody on this Great forum can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck there Keith!

Get a swivel squeegee handle and you’ll be good for the transoms.

Who is a good insurance provider for a single operator?
Give Joseph D. Walters a call. They don’t do workman’s comp or auto, but they’ll cover you for your work. It was because one of their posts talked about custody and control that I found out most insurance doesn’t cover the window you’re working on. If you drop a ladder on the bmw, that’s covered. But if you fall through a window, that’s not covered. Just something to be aware of.

Then come up with a good business name, go get a business license and you can either do a sole proprietorship or llc for really cheap. Colorado makes registering easy since most of their stuff is online.

Man I’m confused :confused: sorry Keith I thought you were the other guy Jessef15 that was looking to buy a route disregard post number 19 sorry bro. But about those transoms you need to get a swivel squeegee like Jared mentioned. Sorry agin why didn’t you say what the hell are you talking about stupid:D

I would have Mike!

I was a bit confused with regard to that post Mike, but it seemed somewhat relevant. I just didn’t know exactly what you were saying.

Y’all are awesome! I’ve never visited a forum that is so helpful and friendly. Most of 'em are like youtube comment sections. You guys/gals treat newbies like family. I’m spending hours on here, when i really should be out pounding the pavement. It’s just so informative that I just want to sponge up as much as I can before I go out on a fresh job.

I make 22.51 an hr for high rise windows washing. About 40k a year… But I’m in Minnesota and there are many days where we do not work!

Never finish on the bottom? Only use a half inch of water in your bucket?

I fill my Pulex 6 gallon bucket up about half way (3 gallons-ish mark) in the morning before I leave the house, once that’s dirty I change it out for new water (I carry 12 gallons in the truck) Your handle won’t break, shouldn’t break, he’s just old and probably doesn’t want to carry water.

I finish on the bottom or side, depends what the window and situation calls for. But closing out on the bottom in the sill helps to reduce detailing in most cases.

If I were you I would just work another month, tops, with this guy. All the while learning what you can, don’t sign a no compete, and get your brand out there. This is prime time residential time too! If this guy does more storefront then you should get more into 1/2/3 story commercial accounts (great quarterly cleaning opportunities)

That’s what I would do, it doesn’t seem like he’s trying to sell anytime soon especially if he can’t give actual figures when you discuss it with him.

Mike Radzik
Pro Window Cleaning
Central Massachusetts