Why are you marketing towards "High End" Customers

Just curious. I can’t understand why so many people here are obsessed with targeting solely HIGH END customers. Why not target everyone. Does a high end customers $$ go further than a not so high end customers $$? Do high end customers refer your company more than the not so high end customer? Please, tell me what are you thinking?

I’m not in that group. Hell, I’ll clean an old barn’s crusty, stinkin, cob webbed, unpainted framed windows in a heartbeat if the money is right.

Do I send out my 4 x 6 postcards in exclusive neighborhoods to a solid return ratio? Yes. I market residential homes in my area and I agree all money spends.

But make no mistake, there is a reason (in most cases) why a family lives in a 1.7 million dollar home rather than a 300k home…and it’s generally income. They have more to spend…simple logic.

There are those that live stretched out financially and can’t pay the paperboy with cash but still live in elegant homes also, but I do believe they are the exception and not the norm.

How do you KNOW they have more to spend? How do you KNOW that the people living in a 300k home don’t have more to spend? Maybe they choose to live modestly and have millions in the bank or tucked away in a sock. My point is unless your in someones wallet you don’t know how much a person has to spend.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have more experience cleaning for regular folk as a carpet cleaner than as a window washer. I believe the 2 services are similar. My personal experience has been that the regular folk nit pick more, complain about price more, and they usually wait until they are desperate for a cleaning before they call. I asked myself why it was so and came up with this answer. They really can’t afford to hire a professional cleaning service so it’s a big expense to them. They want their moneys worth, every last penny. The high end market has plenty of money, so it’s not a big deal. They call, I clean, and they write a check. Usually a 2 or 3 times bigger check too.[/SIZE][/FONT]

This is a very good question, Linda.

Many times in the past few months I’ve landed juicy jobs that are more lucrative than their “larger, fancier” counterparts.

[B]I forgot to give my answer:[/B] I don’t know why I do. Maybe I should change my target demographic, too…

How do I know the North Pole is cold? I don’t for sure I just take the word of those that have gone there before and report.

Your point is understood but I think it is more the exception than the norm Linda. I can’t live in a million dollar home. Why you may ask? Because I can’t afford the down payment and the monthly payment because my wife and I don’t make enough money and if I was mistakenly (by a bank that would eventually go belly up) given the credit to have a million dollar home I would never have spare money to use for services like window cleaning. By the same token, I live in a 300k home (actually) and I could afford window cleaning if I wanted it. But cleaning my windows would take me and my crew about two hours to do if that. I’d need 3-4 of my sized homes to stay profitable.

Another important aspect of anyone targeting “high end” clientele is because they get generally larger payouts because the home is three times the size. More windows more money. It’s all about disposable income that is not tied up. Those that can live big have big money…in most cases I would suspect.

I get where you’re running though.

Doesn’t every customer want their moneys worth? Do you do a lesser job for a high end customer because they have “plenty of money”? So you take an entire day to do 1 job for the “2 or 3 times bigger check”, why not clean 2 or 3 smaller house in that day for the same money? Whats the difference? So you’ve made 1 person happy in a day instead of 2 or 3 people happy.

Well, there is more windshield time with no income on 3 jobs instead of one.Your right though. I clean a lot of condos near my house. They are quick and easy. The people are generally nice.

I actually find that lower income based customers tip better. As if they know first hand the value of physical labour.

I usually do one to two large high end jobs a week followed by a few mid range and then a couple of cheapy jobs. But I treat each client the same.

Sometimes when I drive by town home complexes ($200,000-$300,000) I’ll size up quickly what it’ll cost to do an in/out clean, then I’ll return a few days later with a flat rate special that everyone in the complex qualifies for. I’ll usually land a few gig per complex each time.

Anyone with glass is your potential customer provided that you can charge and collect your needed/wanted goal.

I think that there are more “keeping up with the Joneses” kinda people around here in the 2 million dollar homes than in the $600,000 homes.

Just an observation.

They drive Porsches, got the sweet houses, and yet seem to have almost no left over money to spend on furniture, never mind window cleaning!

More people like that among the multi-million dollar homes, per capita, but still not that many overall.

Having a $15,000 mortgage payment would be pretty discouraging if you were only clearing $17,000 - $20,000 a month.

You’re making me proud, Linda!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Linda, [/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]You’ve got me thinking. Maybe I’m trying to keep up with the Joneses. Maybe I feel a little bit extra special when I clean for the rich and famous. You know “I’ve got six customers on such and such a street.” Does that make me special? I’ll have to sleep on it. Thanks for the question.:confused::confused::confused:[/SIZE][/FONT]

In the not so distant past, I did an estimate for a customer. Huge, huge home, cobblestone driveway, yard well maintained, 3 Beemers in the garage. The gentleman asked me to go inside to look at something and there was virtually no furniture inside. Barely anything whatsoever. I honestly feel Alex and I have more furniture in our condo then I saw in this home. I may have offended him when I asked if he recently moved in and he looked at me strangely and said he’d been there for almost two years.

Clearly “Keeping up with the Joneses.”

I’m pretty sure this gentleman turned us away because our price was too high. Go figure.

I don’t have any experience in any other area than my own, so take it for what it’s worth:

I have sent mailers out blanketing my entire service area. I got clusters of areas of response. The drive by traffic stops me more in those areas for business cards. I give estimates and get a good percentage of jobs. I can’t say that there are any definite common threads between all of those areas, but I can say that they tend to be higher end areas. I can also say that I can make a better hourly wage the higher the ticket price is on a house. I know that from experience. For example: my crew of 3 guys cannot seem to finish a $99 job in less than 45 min. but that same crew can usually finish a $550 job in 3 hours… $2.20/min vs $3.06/min… it just pays better to have more work in one location from what I can tell.

Interesting. I often find the opposite.

My guys take forever to complete a $550 job, and can burn through the $200 jobs lightning fast…

First of all let me preface my reply, “to each his own”.

Your question has my answer in it. I market to High End customer’s, because they are High End.

In my area, most of the other companies don’t carry Insurance, or they just have the basics. I carry 1 Million Dollar’s worth of Workmen’s Comp on myself and all of my employee’s, (currently 5 of them). 2 Million Dollars worth of General Liability, and 500,000 dollars of Commercial Auto Insurance. When my High End people say so and so was x dollars cheaper than you, I remind them of this fact, and because most of these people are Businessmen or professionals, they realize the value of that for them as a prospective client of mine.

Also, when they ask me to give them a bid on their windows, I give them a menu of service’s, ie, Window Washing, Pressure Washing, Flatwork, Roof Cleaning, Gutter Cleaning, etc. This usually results in the customer grabbing a few of my service’s, and since they are High End, this means that 3 of my guy’s can pull up, unload once, spend a day working, (not driving), and leave with between $1600-$2000 done for the day.

Dont get me wrong, we do alot of smaller homes also, and they are loyal customers that I appreciate, but I’d rather do a big job, that I can schedule some of my guy’s on rather than having them go do 3 or 4 house in a day to make that kind of bank.

Another reason, is that most High End people have High End Friends, with Office’s, Buildings, Summer Homes etc.

In the grand scheme of things, we all are selling our time, I’d prefer to make more money in a shorter period of it.

This works for my company & is just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Have a nice Day!

windowman

Linda’s comments have made me wonder if the rich-folks are more useful than the average joe in achieving this goal.

Hehe, I’ve had the same - & asked the same question :o
Couple of Ferrari’s etc. One man sofa in the whole place!

Didn’t you know? Its the minimalist fashion. Sleek lines, huge space & very little going on. Here’s me surrounded by junk & no where to put it. :mad:

Ahh Shucks Larry, I’m blushing. Just thought I 'd throw the question out there to get some peoples wheels turning, I like to stir it up as you know!!! Honestly I do hope that it did get at least a couple of you folks thinking.

It took me a minute but I think I get what Linda is laying down here.

I think she is saying that too often window cleaners get trapped into thinking that “high end” customers are the only way to go. And that there are several routes to take to being profitable and that being diversified in your marketing strategy is paramount.

I agree 100% with that line of thinking.