• donā€™t want to do it
  • canā€™t do it
  • desire perfectly clean windows
  • money spilling out of their pockets
  • other (specify)

0 voters

All of the above?

4 Likes

I think keep up with the Jonesā€™s is a big factor for the best customers. No-one calls because they ā€œNEEDā€ clean windows.

2 Likes

some people sure act like they do

4 Likes

its the psychographic that likes clean windows, itā€™s their thing, theyā€™re ā€œmaintainersā€

itā€™s a personality

3 Likes

In all honestly I think we get hired because of how we make people feel.

Iā€™ve cleaned windows in some really scuzzy homes. Those people just wanted to feel like they were getting clean, organized and in control of their lives.

Iā€™ve cleaned windows for some wealthy folks at twice the price of their last cleaner. Those are the ones who give me the most referrals out of anybody. They want to feel like they have a cleaner they can boast about. Essentially, nobody cares if they eat at McDonaldā€™s, but if they hire a professional chef then you better believe the neighbors are gonna know all about it.

The common denominator is that our work and our personalities make people feel good about themselves and their homes. They buy on emotion, and defend their choice with logic.

My opinion, not necessarily fact. Hope this stirs the pot a bit.

6 Likes

some buy on emotion, back to personality type

you can also have an affluent person who is acting like an auction enjoying seeing who will work them at the lowest rate and enjoys finding the next lowest rate

definitely a ā€˜peopleā€™ game not a ā€˜type of houseā€™ game

the scuzzy home, the windows are last on the list, and not a ā€˜maintainerā€™

A guy called me to clean his ugly windows. When I gave him the price he said they werenā€™t that dirty; I had to do a double take to make sure we were talking about the same windows. :-/

2 Likes

In those cases, the person just wants to feel like they beat the system. Not an ideal customer, therefore I do not believe that is one of the reasons we get hired.

I find many canā€™t do it. Sure, some simply do not want to do it, but in most cases they canā€™t - either because a fear of ladders, no tools to do it properly; and if they did have the tools they are either too old or inept at home maintenance chores.

Another case - I have an elderly lady whose smoke detector is at the top of the stairs, but above about the 3rd step away from the top landing. DUMB position, I know, but she canā€™t change the battery, so I do when Iā€™m there with my ladder and leveler. Iā€™m already there cleaning a long narrow window along the stairwell. Friken architects!

Some younger customers are too busy to do home maintenance like washing windows, cleaning gutters, mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool. All of these jobs they can physically do, they just canā€™t do because they are busy making money to pay someone like me.

Okay, some simply wonā€™t. I have a few others who are physically capable and have cleaned their own windows, they just choose not to because they really do not like doing it, so they hire me. Three story, inside and out, ladders, poles, contortionist around the ill placed landscaping. They pay me $700 instead!

1 Like

I have had quite a few new clients tell me that they used to clean their own windows. Now they are too old to do them anymore. I LOVE these kinds of estimates because they already know how much work is involved. Then when you give them the price they understand. When I give the price I tell themā€¦ā€œAs you already know there is a lot of work involved in getting your windows clean. You said it used to take you all weekend.ā€

6 Likes

I do a lot of commercial jobs. I get calls because facilities managers and maintanance people need someone to do the job right the first time. They need no hassle window cleaners.

3 Likes

Please take this out of our hands, after were finished signing the deal- donā€™t let us hear about it mid job and make us look good?

1 Like

Bingo

kind of a mix match of what comes to mind for residential:

want clean windows -

• windows are their thing, have a clean house and many other service companies (custom or tract home) taking care of house and have income to support that for the house they have regardless of age

• are house poor and donā€™t have the income it takes to maintain their mcmansion so look for cheaper prices

• like knowing itā€™s getting done

• did it themselves, age/health etc now looking for a service

• are elderly and on limited income, need a sidelinerā€™s rates

• are the type that enjoy ā€œworking anyone overā€ for a lowest rate

occasional - windows arenā€™t their thing, but know it needs to be done and occasionally pay to have it done

• are house poor and canā€™t even ā€œaffordā€ (read: donā€™t care enough) to maintain home occasionally

• are elderly and on limited income need a sidelinerā€™s rates

• did it themselves but health/age/other going to hire (but will think rate it high most likely)

• are the type looking to make a freebie out of it by not paying

• are the type looking to work you over for lowest rate

Infrequent - donā€™t maintain much of anything but HAVE to have cleaned because:

• Funeral/wedding/grad party/event at house

• selling home

• your groupon buyer/complainer

If ever

• oh, thereā€™s windows there, I never noticed

• never will pay for a service - any price is outrageous

• never do themselves - just going to get dirty again

thereā€™s once beautiful custom homes that turn into junk because of the owner and thereā€™s the most modest of homes impeccably kept all the way around - itā€™s a personality/corresponding income thing for sure

5 Likes

Bruuuuuce. Had to bookmark that last one.
@Bruce

1 Like

Hehe