Window cleaning charge

Ok so i have been working hard for the last few months washing windows testing the waters but i have a question. there are some stories of people making 70 dollars an hour but on average im making 15 dollars an hour sometimes 20 an hour. should i charge more?

Depends on the type of jobs, commercial, storefront and residential. What jobs are you mostly doing?

restidental

[COLOR=#333333][INDENT]Ok so i have been working hard for the last few months washing windows testing the waters but i have a question. there are some stories of people making 70 dollars an hour but on average im making 15 dollars an hour sometimes 20 an hour. should i charge more?[/INDENT]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333]
If you’re only bringing in $15 an hour, that will turn into $7 an hour after expenses, insurance, and taxes. Try to shoot for at least $40 an hour and after you get efficient, you can move into $70-$80 or more.

Good luck, man. [/COLOR][FONT=arial]Remember, "Shoot[/FONT][FONT=arial] for the moon[/FONT][FONT=arial]. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars[/FONT][FONT=arial].”[/FONT]

Sounds pretty low for residential. What do you get per window or pain? If you charge by the hour, your speed will pick up. Then will you make less when you get done quicker? I charge per window. That way of I’m fast or slow that day, i make the same $$.

No, you should work faster, speed comes with time.

And if these are first time cleanings, you will spend more time with them. The second time around you will be more experience and faster, and the glass wont be as dirty.

But I would test your market and see if you can charge more. Don’t be afraid to ask for the stars.

Dollars per hour is dependent upon price and speed. BTW, it’s okay to NOT be making $70 per hour starting up, or even later on. Lots of folks brag about big numbers, but what matters is how your customers view your service (quality, reliability, and integrity to name a few attributes) and if you can make enough for your financial requirements.

Have you tried raising your price to see how that affects your hourly rate?

Have you become efficient? Not just on the actual cleaning of glass, frames, tracks, sills, and screens, but also on the logistics (setup, ladder movement, supplies at hand versus going back to vehicle, logical movement around property, etc.?)

Speed comes over time – examine your processes and procedures and find ways to reduce time on steps without sacrificing quality.

well how i charge is as follows
2 dollars per pane in and out on first floor
and 3 per pane on second floor

i think im going to change to
3 dollars per pane in and out first floor
and 5 per pane on second floor
what do you guys think?

Also depends on the size of the home, and what customers are willingly wanting to pay. You can figure that out when your talking to them. Down here in Florida the normal house goes for $10 a window

A double hung ($2 upper half; $2 lower half) I get $4.00. A single pane I get $4.00. My minimum is $4.00 per side of window. One window inside/Outside I get $8.00; brush screens, clean tracks. If screens and tracks are really bad I add $1.00 each. Sliders $5.00 per panel per side. I used to try and juggle prices for different sized windows - $2 here, $3 there, then $4 - It all takes about the same amount of work unless it’s a big window. Some of the smaller ones oddly enough seem to take more work…LOL…But $4.00. If the windows have been neglected (many have been!) I add $1.00 or so to the price on initial cleaning. (Discount off the normal price for quarterly clean). Difficult to reach around landscaping, roof pitches, obstacles, multiple ladder moves - I charge $1.00 or more each on top of the base price. I tried the charge extra for each floor up (I go to 3rd floor); didn’t seem like a good sell in my area. You have to do what you can sell. Practice, get good, charge for the quality of your work and offer QUALITY WORK. Soon enough you’ll be making a liveable wage. :slight_smile:

Hey Joshua, Florida here also…St. Petersburg. I do some pretty high end homes and get a lot of hemming and hawing with anything over $4 per window. More power to you man. Maybe my game is wrong! haha,

When people talk about how much money they make per hour it is easy to believe that they are really “making” that much money. Never forget that you make EXACTLY $0/hr when you:

Are doing payroll
Balancing the books
Doing bids
Driving to or from a job
Answering phones
Ordering supplies
Getting insurance ironed out
Repairing broken stuff
Doing rainy day touch ups
Helping a customer who requires more time or has lots of questions
Loading or Unloading trucks
Washing vehicles
Meeting with the graphic designer to design brochures/ website/ Business cards, etc
Working on marketing campaigns
Networking events
Tradeshows
Time on the WCR forum

Even though NONE of those items are “production” or money makers, they are all important and share the costs associated with production. My point is that you do do much work for “free” that it is important that you are taking your production dollars and dispersing them over your actual time worked to determine what you actually make per hour… and even then, it is actually wiser to remember that revenues are only the top line. Hours on the job are only a way of measuring efficiency in your production, but there are a LOT more lines on the way down to the bottom line…

I hope that makes sense. :slight_smile:

There is your problem, like you I started cheap because I thought no one would hire me because of my inexperience, however I found out that isn’t the smartest way to begin. I don’t know what Utah is like or how large the average home is but I would research and find out what gusy in your city are charging. I recomend being honest if you do, call a couple and tell them you are just fresh to the scene and say “this sounds kind of weird but I am starting my business and I wanted to know what the going rate is for a double hung window?” If he is insecure he will hang up on you, if he is a good business man and confident in his product and clients he will tell you. If they say we charge 7 a window, then charge 7 etc. Then you will find that you will priced fairly to 1) you, 2) your clients and 3) competition…nobody likes a lowball. Finally your hourly rate will improve as you improve. Also son’t sell yourself by charging less for the first floor, setting up a six foot ladder in a bush may take longer to set up 24ft ladder on an upper window.

So $80 for a 16 pane double hung? I’m reading $600 per hour and have to admit I’m limiting myself based on life experience, but still I don’t understand increasing $ earned per man hour without increasing number of employees or efficiency.

in other words:
[LIST]
[]
[
]30% for actually doing the work
[]administration
[
]marketing
[]strategy
[
]finance
[]ongoing education in all 5
[
]10% for pre tax profit
[/LIST]

by pushing the envelope
adding additional value or at least documenting it and pointing it out
targeting and niche marketing better

restaraunts are a good example, most specialize in one type of food or country, then look at how they describe their niche under that - check out their signs, you might start noticing how they niche down

not always true. sometimes you are paying someone to do that stuff which means you are making -$

i am making about 100 bucks an hour most jobs

hey joshua, is that $10 for entire window? $5in/$5out=$10? thanks, by the way im in fl also. and im new to the business