Window Washer Dies from Fall in San Diego

Almost every pic or video on face book this is how they roll 6’ shock absorbing lanyard on the dorsal.

Have never, will never set up like that, unsafe 100%.

Especially when the harness most of these guys are using isn’t really even designed for rope access.

Seems with rope access over there seem extremely rudimental, very basic without the teaching of the understanding about what type of forces will come into play that you should be considering when rigging up your ropes. No angles and BS like that its just lack of understanding
Its seems more “here you wear this, connect this to this, sit in this, squeeze this you go down, do this to stop.”, “now your a rope tech…”

IMO unless you have done a proper rope access course thru IRATA or SPRAT then you shouldn’t be doing this type of work. I mean this for each individual performing the task, not just the company owner.

1 Like

after learning what would happen in this case of fall arrests i will never again attach dorsal. you are correct @Steve076 when you say that it is 100% unsafe.

there’s just no way i’d ever be able too do that lol

I was also asked to quote that building and after seeing it decided not to participate.

1 Like

I’ve been in the San Diego window cleaning community for a loooong time. In fact, I’ll bet I’ve been at it even longer than Barry. He got his thing started shortly after I did. I think we have the oldest companies in San Diego. I personally did a lot of chair work back in the day. I know for a fact that many or most of the buildings in SD are not built to code. Someone dies, who’s at fault? It isn’t just Barry, let me tell you. It’s unscrupulous developers, too cheap to engineer these buildings properly, it’s property managers and building owners who KNOW they are out of compliance and yes, then it’s the window cleaning company’s fault for being willing to do the job. I do not wish Barry any bad will but chair work is illegal on buildings that are designed to be staged. I don’t bid on those jobs. My business has too good a reputation and this is my damned retirement. Damn Barry! What the hell were you thinking? I can’t tell you how many jobs I have been on to bid after Barry has worked there. He is using rolling outriggers which have been banned by OSHA for a long time in California. I once saw a damaged parapet that the beam of the rolling outrigger had crashed into that his guy had been using. The thing had nearly flipped over. I’ll bet someone had to throw a nice pair of underwear away that day. Guys, if we all just refused to bid on these jobs that can’t be done any other way, you watch just how quickly the developers and owners get their shit together. And Barry, it’s guys like you that are giving this industry a bloody nose.

4 Likes

Great honest post

I have never done high-rise but ive always wanted to learn. Knowing that this stuff always happens is a risk you have to take when you become a window cleaner. If i ever decide to do high-rise i wont do it unless i take like 7 classes and understand what the hell im doing.

prayers to the family. Be safe guys. i know ladders can be just as dangerous sometimes.

It is not a risk you have to take.

The accidents all happen due to user error and 99% the user knowingly took the risk and knew the correct method.

When these happen I cant feel bad, it was a decision that was made to skip safety.

5 Likes