Working with CC550

Working along the shore poses its own challenges. Customers that have aluminum screens ruin their million dollar view and create a need for professional window cleaners.

I started by checking the glass out. It was a two story only and the screens had been pulled before hand. I would have loved to have waterfed this job but I wanted to see if it was going to require nose to glass. Yup…glass was a mess. I started off with a simple wash to see the damage and figured I would do the smart thing and start with a less aggressive option and move the big guns if needed. Bio-clean works as a great light abrasive that works in many situations but sometimes it simply isn’t the right tool even if it can be used. It took three applications to clean the glass with the biol-clean so I moved to CC550. With bio-clean you dont have to worry about glass temperatures, sash discoloration, or hazing affects. It’s a good first option if steel wool isn’t reasonable.

Working with CC550 requires protective glasses and gloves. Make sure your belt and bucket is set properly so you don’t burn your leg with the run-off from your bucket. Keep your eyes safe as this acid is not a joke. Several employees over the years have skipped their PPE’s to their chagrin. We run with two buckets on a belt if we use CC550; one with an applicator with CC550 and the other bucket regular water and soap. I didn’t need to cool the glass as it wasn’t in direct hot sun. The pics below are of a before and after of hardwater staining. The staining was so severe I ran straight CC550 to remove the deposits. In the end the reflection and clarity of the glass was restored.

The right tool and the right chemical can give the right result.

We run across those Anderson windows with the full screen alot and have had great success with cc550 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im lost. What problem does the screens cause? I use cc500 with great success on hard water.

I believe the haze is from the salt water in the air and Jared was saying it took removal of the screens to see the apparent damage from it. Not that the screens damaged the window.

I agree, cc550 is great when needed. But great care and caution is a must :slight_smile:

Screen burn from aluminum screen material.

The aluminum screens become oxidized and cause the windows to be “screen burned”. Screen burn is what we use cc550 on the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we service homes at the shore we often see damage done not by the salt and air but by the aluminum oxidization pitting the surface of the glass. Stage II corrosion is a real threat. You don’t have these same problems on second floor casements. It is are a real point of concern for many homeowners. We recommend storage of their screens during the winter when the season closes and to replace damaged screens with fiberglass. Although not as sturdy, the fiberglass has sufficient strength for a normal sized double hung. Fiberglass screens come in various colors but generally a local store that rescreens will carry silver and charcoal.

We also service large multi hundred resident condo complexes and run into the same problems. We haven’t found a better product but you need to know what it’s liabilities are and how to safely use it.

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up Jared :slight_smile: