'X' Method?

I know with the S method, the L method and Z method squeegee techniques but I am unfamiliar with the X method as mentioned on the web site link. http://www.freewindowcleaningtips.com/super-swirl-squeegee-method2.htm

Can someone explain this method? I can’t help but feel this is one guys version of the Z method. (hmmm, could be wrong tho)

x method is actually a way you cut from one corner to the other. For example take a look at the quick reply box and pretend thats a window. You would squeegee off the top of the frame by sliding the squeegee horizontally not how you normally cut it and then (depending if you are righty or lefty) cut from the top right corner down to the left bottom corner right through the wet area. When you do this you are sliding the squeegee diagonally if that makes sense from upper corner to bottom corner, then you start your fanning technique. Hope this makes sense.

I’ll need to see a video of this technique.

[FONT=Verdana]I mentioned the X method yesterday so you are probably referring to me. I am right handed and do not own a video camera so here we go.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Normally we start with the leading edge (right end) going up the left side to the left top corner, then across the top edge to the top right corner and down the right side, then we fan our way down the window to finish.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The X method is used on a window that is long and short. Usually the short panes below your waist on a store front windows. They can be 20 inches high or so.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]These windows are so short most window cleaners will use two straight horizontal pulls to clean them. I like to fan them to save time on wiping the blade between strokes and detailing the window to create a dry area to place my blade in. Also no detailing when I’m done.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Because these windows are short and long, coming up the left side and cutting in that left top corner can be awkward. So the X method starts in the middle of the window at the top and cuts in the left top corner with the left end of the squeegee moving right to left across the top. Then it comes back with the other end of the squeegee across the top, left to right and cuts in the top right corner. Then it is one more swipe from bottom right hand corner to close window out on left side. Sound confusing? :confused: Sorry. :frowning: I tried. Perhaps you will need to download the video from Andy Engstrom, should be about $5.00[/FONT]

I use this technique quite often but didn’t know it is referred to as the “X Method”. It’s a really great technique to have in your arsenal. I just stumbled upon it somewhere along the way while experimenting with variations of the fanning technique. I’m sure many other window cleaners use this method and don’t even know it’s referred to as the “X method” by may have coined the term “X Method” but he did not invent this technique because it already existed.

Thanks for sharing! I had always wanted to get the video to see what the “X method” is. Now I know…and don’t need the video.

I think only has the L and Z method.
Andy is the guy with the X method. :cool:

The Q method you start in the bottom left.

Hmmmmmm…I thought that was. Thanks for the correction! Who is Andy?

I just reread the first post. Andy must be the guy at www.FreeWindowCleaningtips.com or what ever it is.

I like the “D” method on hot days and the “Q” method on overcast days and “R” method for the rest…OH, I forgot the “F” method!

Are these tips or a recipe for alphabet soup?:rolleyes:

The craziest name for a window cleaning method that I’ve ever heard of is the Oompa Loompa. I bet some of you have heard of it. I actually learned it from an instructional DVD. If I had to equate it to a letter of the alphabet I guess it would be the N method.

Actually, the way you described it makes perfect sense. Great! I just saved myself $5

Now that I think of it, I’ve probably have done this method before without thinking.

for what ever reason when I see that guys picture I want to punch him in the face…
I bet he is a super nice guy, but something about that folded up collar and a silly old man fishing hat makes me want to do some UFC to that guy.

no offense Andy if you are out there…

what about the,hey its a westside window in the middle of july its gotta be 110 outside let alone the tempo of the super heated glass already has a broken seal and and and:cool:

What did you just say?

I stopped reading at the 3rd or 4th post.

I demand a video … NOW !
:smiley:

I prefer the QWERTY method, where you e-mail one of the guys to go wash some windows:p

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The Oompa Loompa!!! I saw the same video. I thought I was really special when I learned it. Then one day I was watching a crew clean a high rise and every guy was using the Oompa Loompa. I think that was Joel Andrews new revised video. The N method, that sounds about right. :cool:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I described one. Do you want to give it a shot?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Tony, the soup thing was funny.

This thread has been fun to read. what a nice mix of humor and methodology.

I have forgotten who described the method…but it was a nice write up. There were plenty of good hearted posts.

what a cool group we have here.