1st job!

Yeah, the $35 I didn’t do the math because this is a first time clean and I assumed the $35 is your schedule price. Someone paid you to learn today…Awesome!!!

First time cleans always take much longer. Are you brushing or sweeping all that dirt out before you start to wet the window? I always brush or sweep all first time clean before wetting anything. It’s easier to clean dust and dirt before it becomes mud. For very dusty dirty windows a house broom is better than using nothing at all.

For really dirty windows rinse your mop out often…and change your solution often…I mix about 4 gallons at once and then split it between two buckets.

Use lots of water on the exterior of very dirty windows…try to keep the soap suds to a minimum…be careful of too much water where people are walking.

Screens suck, unless you’re being paid to fix them.

1 Like

I just scrapped it put. A broom would have been faster and easier…but i was there and didnt want to delay any longer…again learning exp

1 Like

The exercise your getting! 🖒🖒

@GlassMD thats what i kept telling myself all day. Haha im feeling it atm but i will push thru it and well see where we can get too

1 Like

A pro walks up with a shoulder strapped shop vac and takes it easy and makes the money.

Tech that pro would be making ME that money. Lol i wouldnt stop him…might even tip him for the helping hand :joy::joy:

@BaBz

How did your second day go?

2nd day? That was my only job. I recovered yesterday and still sore today. Trying to decide if i want to continue or not

Ya but you went back a second day to finish, didn’t you?

I hear ya though bud. My body is sore as heck lately. All stuff that your body will get used to.

Hope to see you continue :slight_smile: I say it’s too early to tell!

1 Like

Yeah. The sorenss is the least of my worries. Its the heat and dehydration and the fact that im going thru multiple sets of clothes for 1 job…granted it was a big job. I may try to get a couple smaller jobs and see how those go

I can see how that’s annoying

I dont mind sweating. Just not professional walking in for payment and your dripping sweat all over their business lol

Don’t forget where we live. Not a lot of happy, beautiful people walking the streets in this weather.

Give it six months before packing it in. Enjoy the nicer weather and see what you think of things.

1 Like

@TexasRich true. Tho i have noticed my…“targets” have become more…strict. As in, no more windows to the ground. Lol

If you set limits on what windows you wont clean you will lose much potential work, and at the end of the day a good window cleaner can clean any glass.

5 Likes

@Steve076 you are right. And i shouldnt. But im just saying i feel like when i look at some possible clients i look at types of windows and feel turned off by windows that go to ground. Its something i just need to shake

If you charge for what work you do, then you will most likely enjoy the work a heck of a lot more. This was a b*tch of a first job. Lots of windows, screens, and a ton of built-up dirt. You learned why most charge in the neighborhood of 3X a regular cleaning price for a first clean, or a one-time clean. If your normal price would be a buck per side/per pane, (just using that number for simplicity - you will figure out your own base line price depending on your market and your desired hourly rate), then you’d want to be in the $3 per pane price for this, plus some extra for removing the screens and all the built up crud and dirt from years of neglect. What happened to you has happened to almost everyone who decided to jump in this business without much (or any) experience. You didn’t know any better…but now you do.

4 Likes

What is it about those windows that give you a problem? How wide are they and how tall? I know you don’t have the funds for a pole or an angle adapter.

You have an 18" squeegee and you said you did straight pulls down and then fanned the rest of the way to the bottom. You can still do the straight pulls down to about waist level and then do a modified fan, starting at the bottom of the window…kind of like you would do for a door. You can do it all from the bent-over position. It’s not bad doing it this way…it’s kind of like doing a stretching exercise.

1 Like

@Davis very true. Granted i was not aware of the built up dirt. I did charge more for screens. Tho i did expect them to come off easier. And will do better next time around. I think its was just the sheer quantity+heat+being outta shape lol

@Dee i do have a pole. Found a nice 1 at the shop i used to work at that they were going to throw away (going to post belt setup in the next day or 2) it wasnt about technique as much as it was the up and down squating. I tried bent over and kneel 1 leg. But after 135 windows/doors and around 300+ squats (i had many unneeded steps as im learning) it was the pain and dehydration that bothers me. I can only drink so much water/gatorade. So i need to find smaller jobs to “get in shape” that @TexasRich suggested

1 Like

That is a lot of squats.