3.5 Ecoboost

Anyone running a 3.5 ecoboost? Thoughts?

I picked up a new F150 2 weeks ago. Coming off of an electric vehicle, which I lived, but the world ain’t ready for yet. I also have had nothing but EcoBoost engined personal cars since 2014.

Accept no substitute!

Plus, she’s sexy lol

Nice :sunglasses:

Have you done anything with blow-by catch cans?

No sir, if its not an old car leave the internals alone lol

Stay away from the 5.0 coyote motors, class action lawsuit involving the 18, 19, & 20s due to oil consumption. I bought a new 2019 F150 shitbox edition with this motor and in the first 5000 miles, it consumed a gallon of oil. Brought it to the attention of the dealer I bought it from and they replied Ford says that’s acceptable (Where the fock is the middle finger button on this keyboard?) They brought me in for an oil change, did a software update on one of the computers, and wait for it… they gave me a longer focking dipstick! Pic attached

Oh and to prove it’s a shitbox edition,

1 Like

I bought a Ford Mach E GT Performance Edition last December as a midlife crisis gift to myself. Its been sitting at a dealership 300 miles away for the better part of a month.

Of the 8x 2020 or later Fords I currently own (business and personal), only one doesn’t have a recall on it, and thats the one I bought 2 weeks ago. Its only a matter of time.

But, i still love my Fords lol. A 5k mile vehicle shouldn’t have an “acceptable oil loss”. At least Mercedes waits til there’s 30k on it to start leaking oil lol

since the software update I average a 2 - 2.5 quart oil consumption every 5k miles, just pathetic really. Never had an issue with eith of my Toyotas… ever

That’s unreal; yikes!
Very good to know.

I have 2 - F150 ecoboost 3.5:
2013 with 240,000 miles, supercrew with 5.5 bed, bought in 2017, no engine mods, no major issues. Since I’ve had it, I’ve done O2 sensors, an a/c leak, new throttle body. I get a engine code for ‘turbo under boost’ about once every few months. It shows up but I don’t notice any lack of power. I check the code when i get home, clear it out, and wait for it to come back in a few months.
2017 with 40,000 miles, supercrew with 6.5 bed, bought in 2022, no engine mods but I put oil catch can on it. After 5k miles I’ve caught nothing measurable in the catch can.
Both trucks run great and I love them.

Good to hear it’s lasted so well; just bought a 2014 with 80K on it. Impressed with it so far; good power when it needs it.

It’s funny as I came to the site to check on this exact motor myself as I am looking at a 2011 FX4 with 137,000km on it. The Ecoboosts seem to be hit or miss with reliability.

What kind of oil interval you running on the 3.5?

5-8k miles, depending on how busy I am when I hit 5k.

Have you had any growling/rattling at low rpms?

I’m going to say no. Although, real low rpm’s are going to be rough since the turbos aren’t really working.

Was kind of thinking that as well, but don’t have enough experience with them to know. It’s not loud, or distracting, but ‘rough’ at low rpm does sound about what I hear at times.
Very pleased with it this far.