3000-7000 grit automotive sandpaper on glass?

Hi all. I came across this as related to housecleaning and cleaning hard water spots off glass shower doors. This guy says to use around 5000 grit sandpaper. Here’s the link, let me know what you think.
https://www.heromaid.com/cleaning-glass-shower-doors-hard-water-deposits/

Sandpaper is typically NOT the right material to be putting onto glass. If you are going to grind glass, make sure you use the right abrasives. As always, The GlassRenu Kit has what you’re looking for.

5 Likes

I thought you would respond to this post Cole!

Happy holidays bro!

1 Like

I think I would do it in an instant if I was sure it worked and it allowed me
to not use chems…Can’t say I really want to experiment at any of
my customers homes though…

1 Like

The superabrasives I have used for removing stains are based on 3 to 5 micron particles. A 5,000 grit paper has particles of 4 microns. Let me test it on brand new mirror glass and I will tell you. Still wouldn’t use it dry. I don’t agree with any dry system. But you should ask the King of Glass Restoration. Cept he isn’t on this Forum. Some of you know exactly who I am talking about.

Henry

2 Likes

You must mean Voldemort…“He-who-must-not-be-named”…

Don’t know that guy. Want to tell me about him?

2 Likes

I thought as much. :grin: .you don’t strike me as the kind of
guy that reads “Harry Potter”… Voldemort is the “Dr Evil” of the series.

The thought of using sandpaper on glass scares the absolute bejaysus out of me!!

1 Like

I’ve never seen 7000 but I have some 5000 grit.

I’m with Cole on this one too.

FYI:
If you get one of those headlight restoration kits they use sandpaper on it, up to 5k I believe and at 5k you’re still cloudy until you jump up to the compound.

I’d listen to Cole as he’s the expert on this one my friend. He’s been doing this longer than I been cleaning windows.

1 Like

Headlights are a totally different animal then glass.

With 3000 grit and compound you can get clear headlights, heck you can get clear headlights with a wool pad and compound…lol

Like you said Cole knows his stuff :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, thats true. Now that I think about it, 0000 steel wool will fog up the headlights too and wont scratch glass. I probably should’ve kept this big mough shut.

1 Like

Its funny sometimes i read something on the forum post and go wtf are they thinking then I comment and then a couple hours later …duh they were right!!! :slight_smile:

So which will scratch? Glass on plastic or plastic on glass? What of plastic on plastic or glass on glass? The answers to these questions directly relates to our current problem with defective glass surfaces. It also relates to the technology of scratch and stain removal. Or even the removal of paint, wood stain, or silicone from either surface.

Of course steel wool is metal, not glass or plastic. So how does this fit in? These are questions I am always asking myself as I work on custom product development.

Just some stuff to perk on guys.

Henry

1 Like

So did you test it Henry? If so what result did you experience?

2 Likes

I came across the Heromaid article last week while researching how to remove hardwater deposits that have been on the glass for a long time. I was very skeptical when I read that he used sandpaper but was desperate. I’ve tried almost everything. (i.e. vinegar, Limeaway, CLR, Barkeeper’s Helper) so I decided to order some sandpaper to try on a small spot on the glass. I ordered a pack with three different grits, 3000, 5000 and 7000. WOW!!! It worked! I started with the 7K because I was afraid it would scratch the glass. I had to go over the area multiple times to remove the hard water deposit but it worked. Then I tried the 5K and the 3K. Neither one scratched the glass. The 3K was able to remove the hard water deposit fastest. I used the 7K to go over areas where the glass was previously scratched and it made the scratches less noticeable. My shower door has never been so clean. I will definitely be spreading the word.what a great way to remove hard water deposits without harsh chemicals. Please note that I sprayed water on the sandpaper before using it against the glass.

So when I tested out 5k it scratched a mirror, that was more than enough for me to clearly see that it does scratch the glass, however the scratches are very, very fine and you may not be clearly able to see them.

I’m sorry it scratched your mirror. I don’t know whether a mirror or glass is more sensitive to the sandpaper but I’m nearsighted so I would probably see the fine scratches on my glass after using sandpaper, if any. My glass had scratches from the Scotch Brite I previously used to clean the shower door. When I used the 7K over that area, it actually made the scratches less noticeable so I’m very happy that I came across that article from Heromaid. For the purposes of removing hard water deposit from my shower door, sandpaper is the only solution I’ve found to really work.

I have used 5000 grit sand paper on windows, as i install window film. They both can scratch the window an leave it spotless. The key is to never use it brand new otherwise you would scratch it. Wet the paper a bit an rub it against each other for about 3 seconds till you feel the difference then use. Also you never want to do it dry

2 Likes