A brief look at roof anchors and basic setup

6 Likes

- YouTube

The next step after setup

1 Like

Yes! This is great! Glad you’re doing videos @anon46335951

2 Likes

Nice :smiley:
I personally would have used a butterfly on the other guys ropes to better center up the working line, kinda surprised no back ups tho, it wasn’t like you didn’t have enough tail. The little differences from here to there, here its risk reduction.

Thanks!

I will check into into a butterfly, never used it before.

Really you have never used an Alpine Butterfly before?
its like the second most common knot in the industry

All we really use is a bowline knot and figure eight.

We tie directly to anchors and not much work any more really requires any taglines or redirecting, straight from the anchor, no Angles.

1 Like

Things are much different here then, many of the buildings I have done didn’t even have roof anchors.
Redirection is pretty much is standard generally via butterflying your working rope to your safety, always working with angles, you have to understand vector force.
When taking vector force into consideration having a 45 degree angle between each anchor point would effectively half the weight that each anchor point would bare, while on the extreme scale if you somehow were able to have anchor points at 170 degrees then each anchor point would take upon it 574% of the strain of the weight. So using angles is beneficial when rigging ropes to the direction you require when the anchor point doesn’t line up with the drop, even if its not needed that butterfly added to the rope would allow your main like to still be operational even if the anchor failed, as that extra knot becomes a backup.

Personally I would rather anchor( or at the VERY least back up) to a nice big chunk of structural steel.

Thats what is was like here too for a long time. Until MN lead the fatality rate with 1 fatality a year for 4 years.2012 MN OSHA finally regulated the industry due to the ridiculous reputation it had. Certification of all anchors every 12 months, if there is not permanent roof anchors not engineer will sign off.
Companies were allowing employees to go tie to anything or nothing, always will catch up to a person.
Every fatality was due to the workers lack of common sense.

I read a previous post about you selling a mio roof rig, do you still have available?

I do have 2 but really not interested in shipping because of trying to package up is alot of work and high shipping. Weights alone are just heavy to ship

Law in my area is 15 degrees each way is the limit. Tie overs not allowe, properly set up tag lines are good though

Same here, 15 degrees and we have roof anchors on each job we suspend from.

I live in MN, and I see that you do too, we can meet somewhere near the twin cities

Sure can, reachout anytime

612 369-0796
Jeff