A Window Wonderland!

Nice Matt!! Happy for ya bro. :slight_smile:

[FONT=“Georgia”]Hey Matt,

Are you sure you want to do big jobs like this where you make really good money and the client is happy with your work AND happy to pay you what your worth?

I’m mean, you could allways crawl back to that national vendor who tried to take you for a fool and steal the food off of your kids plate. I’m mean hey-- $30 bucks for that store… that’s like lunch at Denny’s!

Seriously, it must feel good to think back to that job and compare it to your curent one. Looks like a sweet gig-- nice![/FONT]

If you followed this post, closer you would notice that I was not cutting out a Window Cleaner, he was already fired for poor quality work.
This company had no one! I was going to bid at $2,600 on the 587 count which is higher than I charge on a single pane window at a house.
$4.43 ea. The Maintenance supervisor just before I bid, told me the fired window cleaner charged them $3,900 and had new employees each clean and the work was amateur quality! That is when I bid $3,800.
This was an orphaned by choice customer ready to pay for quality cleaning. I did not consider $6.47 a window “Low balling” even though I found out the fired WCer was at $6.64 a window. My son in law and I cleaned 150 windows on one side the first 3 hours we started this job that is $80.50 per hour if this is low balling then I am guilty!

It does feel like the industry said I’m sorry here is a nice account to kiss and make up!

I don’t consider it lowballing at all. For me, the definition of a lowballer is another service provider who solicits your account with knowledge of your prices, then offers to do the same service for less, thereby competing with you on nothing but price and intentionally undercutting you for the sole purpose of getting your account.

From what I gather, Matt was contacted by the customer, they did not have a window cleaner, he did not know the former window cleaners price at the time he thought up a bid, his bid was based on his own considerations and not as the result of trying to be lower than the last guy and once he heard the former window cleaners price, he essentially priced it the same.

In no way do I see that as lowballing. Just because his initial price was lower does not make him a lowballer. That’s just a lower price-- and that’s business. It’s not the price so much as it is the intention behind the prices that make people lowballers.

I agree with that, if I am soliciting for route business, and I find out they already have some one, I will say that’s great here is my card, if you ever loose them. I have been asked what would you charge, and I tell them, I’m not trying to steel someones business from them, but if you need someone in the future, call me or if your window cleaner does not do houses, I do. Only if they say we do not like or WCer and did not know who to call, then I will price them what I would charge any other account at my rate.

Lol Sorry Matt didnt notice that he was fired. I was under the impression he had been doing a good job. Nice gig and pics by the way.

In this case I agree with you. However, there are alot of window cleaners who know that the job is another window cleaners and still doesnt do what Matt would do. That is what I was referring to.

hey that’s business, if others want to whine about your prices it’s not your problem. don’t sweat it. even if they weren’t already fired and you did it for $2600 you might be kicking yourself later on though.
I only dream of the day I could land a gig like that. good for you!

Wow that is awesome

Matt,ive never seen anything like that…beautiful…talk about obstacles and hard to get to windows…way to go…congrats!

Thanks, Since we first started this thread, we have completed the inside only as they requested. We took 30 hours labor and got paid $1800, not bad for a first clean!
They currently have us cleaning the out side which as you said has some hard to get to glass.
I never thought when I started cleaning windows that we would need hip boots or waders to clean windows!
Surprise!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I am glad we could find the hip boots in my son in law Dewey’s size!
He said the water was cold. He is the best helper ever and we have fun working together.

Wow Matt!

Thats one hell of a nice job… Great work!

Thanks Chris!

Even though price keeps it all moving fun is a great bonus, icing on the cake.
Thanks for keeping us updated with all those pix Matt!

Thanks, I like to see pics of others who talk about jobs on the forum so I try to do them as well.
We got this one because they saw on my site that we had WFP and it takes a lot of hose to reach the whole facility.
We had to go over some roofs as well, but most of the time there is glass on the roof , so we had to get on top of it anyway.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Awesome work Matt.

A dollar a minute, can’t complain with that!

What kind of hose is that and how many feet? Pressure wasn’t an issue at all?

What was the ratio of WFP use vs scrubber and squeegee?

We use a 3/8" OD X 1/4" ID vinyl hose from TSC Farm supply about 25 cent a foot. Our original line on the reel is 250 ft but we had to go over a roof as you see in the pics and added about 150ft more line. We had to get on the roof anyway for some glass. We did have to re-calibrate our pump with added line and height, but once we did it ran fine.
The ground floor windows may have been quicker with traditional mit & squeegee, but the reason this job called us was the pure water cleaning they saw on our web site. They call what I consider weeds,“Natural Prairie” , They have solar panels for their power, and go green when they can. Most of the higher stuff WFP was the way to go anyway, as it had a lot of deep ledges and difficult landscape for setting a ladder. It is a nice place, every day we were there we saw deer, and other wildlife. My son in law Dewey was glad they were not into alligators since he was in the water!
Thanks for your reply

Awesome Matt! What a job you and Dewey had on your hands… handled very nicely!

Thanks Jeremiah, We took some video of Dewey with the heavy Tucker WFP on the 39 foot rotunda glass, while wading in the water as if the tucker and near 40 foot high wasn’t enough challenge by itself. The water a hip boots made it more of an adventure.
I will post the video when I have some time to put it together, as we have been extra busy right now! What was I complaining about back in Feb?
So much fun and get paid to do it, yeah it’s all good.