Ads on grocery store receipts

I met a person today (called me for residential service) that is a sales person for a company that sells ad spots on the back of grocery store receipts.

For the stores he deals with they offer a 6 month program with guaranteed 400,000+ receipts for approx. $1,000.

Have any of you tried something similar?
I am thinking it’s not targeted enough and most people don’t look at the back of the receipt. I like the idea of EDDM and being able to choose who you market to. Plus, if they throw your card at least they looked at it. I would guess that a large percentage of receipts get thrown away without anyone even having a quick glimpse of your ad. The stores he works with aren’t necessarily the demographic I would be looking for but I am interested in everyone’s thoughts on this type of marketing.

No run away but if you got a grand to blow I’ll take it;)

The supermarket that I buy from uses that type of receipt advertising. I usually do look at the back to see if there is any ad that might save me money on something that I use, ie. oil change. Not sure if I would use one for a w/c. Maybe if it was a real good deal, but then again I do my own windows, so no. Don’t think this would work well for small commercial. 6 mo. contract is too long. Tell them you will try it for 2 months for whatever price you feel comfortable wasting and see how it goes. Let us know what the ROI is.

I agree with dnefox. If you do decide to proceed, make sure to use a call tracking # so you can calculate your ROI on the marketing. I have carpet cleaning friend just starting to enter into this. I will ask about his success.

Or you could buy me a ticket. I’ll fly down there, and kick you in the groin.

• exact same results.

(but at least I’d get to see Reno.) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those bashing it, have you tried it?

You guys are funny. I don’t really see this being a good option for me and wasn’t planning on investing in this type of marketing. I try to keep an open mind though and learn as much as I can from you all. So far I have learned that somebody wants me to give him $1,000 I don’t have and another wants me to buy a plane ticket so I can be subjected to some sort of unusual teaching style. :slight_smile:

I am interested in hearing more.

Yeah, right after my “tape business cards to a balloon and wait for it to deflate and land somewhere” campaign.

What was your ROI on that campaign? :smiley:

I have a Ad on a bench in front of Kroger. I use Responsibid to track it. Been there 4 months not one job so far. I would love to move the bench but it is not allowed.

I spent $1,500 to put ads on Shopping Carts at a new and large Kroger store. They were on the carts for about 9 months. I got two residential jobs. they had the guts to call me to ask me if I wanted to renew. I told them NO!

Wow! Sorry guys. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Put your $ into a proven method.

“I believe in a crime called killing money.”

• Kevin O’Leary

My brother who runs a carpet cleaning company tried advertising on the back of grocery store receipts in the past and he regretted it big time. A lot of sales people will “guarantee” results nowadays because the economy is rough and I think they feel they have to in order to catch any fish. I’m not so sure about how rock solid the guarantee is - the fine print may allow them a way to weasel out.

The phone book guys are trying the same thing, with the guarantees.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Pretty much everybody has been confirming what my gut instinct was already.

As a consumer how many times do you check the back of receipts? Mine end up in a wallet where i give them to wife, she logs em in then in the trash they go,just asked and she never looks at the backs either lol

resister tape advertising was by far the worst campaign I have ever tried

I believe that just very few people will look at the Ads on the receipts these days.

Not sure it would generate enough business to make it worthwhile. I would spend the money on more conventional and proven marketing ways.