Ammonia Plus and Minus

Bad planning on my part. I ran out of GG3,GG4 and went to the old ways a lot of older window cleaners used many years back. I mixed water and ammonia plus a little dawn to get me through the day. What I noticed that when I was done cleaning the windows they looked sparkling clean. Even the store owners remarked they looked excellent and asked if I changed my cleaning solution. But I noticed my hands got very dry. Also I was wondering if the ammonia has any effect on the rubber inserts?

1 Like

Following. I’m curious of this too. I have been using Unger’s window glide (I think that’s what its called) because it smells really good and customers have made positive remarks about the scent. But I have a gallon of Zep ammonia glass cleaner that is collecting dust.

1 Like

Still use that today - ammonia and dawn. I’m not that old, but was trained old school. I find the combination perfect.

3 Likes

Ammonia… leaves a great shine on glass.
Ammonia… as a strong smell even diluted.
Ammonia… not suggested to use on tinted windows.

2 Likes

Not good for silver-backed mirrors either. (Old and/or more expensive mirrors)

I use Lemon scented ammonia sometimes, to cut grease on windows. If you let it sit in the hot truck for months on end it starts to smell like a Hobo pissed in your lemonade. :joy: :disappointed_relieved: :unamused:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-64-fl-oz-Lemon-All-Purpose-Cleaner/50092006#

I get mine at Lowe’s.

3 Likes

I use ammonia when I see it can make me scrub a little less.
Like windows on the countryside, or windows who cleans just once a year.

1 Like

What is the ratio of water and ammonia. I use 1/2 CUP per gal of water. Seems to be the correct ratio.
Even with using Lemon scented ammonia some customers pick up the scent right away.

1 Like

"God I love the smell of ammonia in the morning"

Joy and Parsons Lemon Sudsy Ammonia was my original solution of choice back in the day. Now I use a professional solution GG4. Haha at least I think it’s professional :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

That’s about what I use, maybe a little less. If it’s working for you then that’s what counts. Ammonia is great for what it does but it has some potential health hazards, so I don’t use it all the time.

I try to reduce anything and everything I put in the water…reduces detailing, at least that’s what I’m thinking anyway.

First, I don’t carry a bucket - I only use a pump up sprayer. So, I pre mix 5 gallons at a time of my solution, topping off the sparayer as needed.

That said, I use 1/3 cup of dawn and 1/3 cup of ammonia per 5 gallons of water. By the time it is used, there is no smell. It doesn’t take much ammonia for it to do its job, which is primarily to get the solution to dry streak-free.

If the water is harder or softer, then you can tweak the formula. More dirt and grime? Add soap. Nicotine or adhesive gunk? More ammonia.

2 Likes

I think Unger easy glide smells like crap. lol the bottle I bought sits and collects dust.

just make your own…
Pee in a bottle and leave it for months bingo home made ammonia but it smells worse than the shop bought stuff, but its probably stonger.

I found this out when I had an old empty bottle of gg3 and well you get the idea…
HAHA :smiley:

2 Likes

We only use water, dish soap and ammonia (when possible). All those other chemicals they have seem unnecessary.

How do handle windows that have a tint/film on the windows. Usually on the
inside to cut down on the sun coming in?

I used Parsons and dawn for many years. The biggest problem is the drips can do damage inside. I have Paid for a few things. Now we only use the indoor kit inside so no chance of drips. I did use glass gleam before switching to pure water and WFP

1 Like

Only plain dish soap on tinted/filmed glass. Don’t use ammonia or any ammonia based cleaner, you’ll ruin the film.

1 Like

That’s why I no longer use it.

1 Like

If you swing by your local truck stop you can find gallons of the stuff in every trashcan. :laughing: :sweat_smile: :mask:

1 Like