Any advice for starting a residential window cleaning business in October?

Hi, I am trying to figure out how likely a person could start a successful window cleaning business during the month of Oct in Washington State. Is it possible to build a strong customer base in the fall/winter? Any advice, warnings or encouragement would be appreciated. Thank you, Tom

There’s really way too many variables to give a definite answer one way or the other. Some of it depends on your financial situation. If you have enough start up cash to buy your equipment, do some marketing and pay your personal bills, then yes you could start and use the winter months which will be your slow time for practicing and preparing for Spring rush and in that case it would be a great time to start up. If you need to start taking cash out of the company profits from day one to pay your bills and you’re hoping to keep yourself busy all winter, well I doubt it but then again I don’t know the Pacific Northwest market. Maybe people love having clean windows in January without some market knowledge it’s hard to know.

No commercial or storefront?

Sent from my Panasonic VCR. Please set the clock before responding.

Thank you Steve, I appreciate your input and it makes sense to me.

Jared in my neck of the woods there is a lot of competition I thought it might be easier to start by focusing mainly on residential. Thanks for your time. -Tom

Humm, it depends on what you want your business to be. Is it going to be strictly residential? Commercial route stuff can definitely get you going no matter what time of year. Regardless of competition, there’s always commercial glass to be cleaned. Some people don’t have a window cleaner, or they might have one they don’t like or whatever. There’s always a turn over of window cleaners and always a turn over of managers. One manager might say no, but a new one 6 months later might say yes.

But regarding residential, you could push hard on gutter cleaning with eddm, flyers or whatever. Then also do windows. But come January you’ll be pretty dead.

I use competition to fuel my desire to get more storefront/commercial. I’ve only been in business for a smidgen over 2 years, but from day 1, I’ve always targeted commercial. There are 72 window cleaners listed in Grand Rapids, with a major influence from Fish and Shine (our local big name cleaners.) Persistence and taking a ton of no’s is what got me going, and today, I boast 122 regular monthly cleanings for my route. Residential is dead for the most part in Michigan from Dec-March, but commercial will pay your bills consistently.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

You tell ME.

Are you pushing for bi-monthly, or quarterly service?
(Which is perfect to secure your winter)

You mention that there is too much competition in storefront and commercial.
But until you don’t ever see a competitors truck around
…there is still work to be HAD.

Incidentally, I started my co in the month of April.
The average high temp in April here is 57º

• today, yesterday, and the for past week has been in the 70’s.

Long story, short…
Can YOU build a cust base in starting in October?

I believe anyone could “start” to build a client list in October but you may want to google how to start a fire during the winter by rubbing two sticks together. Thing of it is you go into the winter stoked for spring with time to hopefully prep for some kind of a response and any experience at that time(if applied correctly) will be beneficial in the upcoming year. We have all been there at one point or another.

“Build” vs “Start”

I THINK I agree with you, but I’m 3/6 my way through a 6 pack, so…
I can’t promise anything.

This thread screams “can I quit my job, to start a WC business
and make money, even though the weather is getting shitty?”

You and I seem to be on the same page…
You can create your own work, by earning repeat work.
“Building/starting” that list.

And if played right, COULD ensure pre-scheduled work during the tough months.

Amen J… Not sure how long you have been in the glass cleaning biz but when someone has been cleaning glass for over 35 years, focused on their business while delivering great results & client satisfaction, it’s just what we do. We are selling a service seasoned with personality. I can honestly say that I can’t wait to get up and go to work every day.
Disclaimer: Every day includes Saturdays, Sundays, Birthdays, Holidays, Rain days, Vacation days, and sometimes, once-in-a-lifetime-days.

I think I’m about 26 years.

I can’t promise I WAKE UP feeling like you!

• but around noon, I start to come around. :wink:

Beer is good Bud.

Thank you JfromtheD, Jason, Jared, Jmattern, Buddyo for taking time to comment on my thread. I appreciate the advice and perspective. -Tom

Money: I started last September and spent about $800 on start up equipment. Most I bought online and using coupon codes!

Advertising: It was slow at first but you just have to go out there , make multiple related and updated social media websites with Google yahoo Bing any and all, thumbtack, Yelp, Craigslist, angieslist, Fred’s list, the list go on! (No really they do!!)

Fliers I bought lots of fliers and business cards I created cheap with coupons and deals on vista prints. I purchased truck magnets . All designed by me.

I went out and began to flier all the hot spots. I do warm fliering, leave it in their door under the weather strip, never knock or bother people. I play music on iPhone and even had my son Noah in a harness on my chest
Received a job while walking.

I’ve made my money back but all of it went instantly back into the business and then I started screen repair. I built my own shop equipment it’s fantastic and “cheap”.

Did I mention I live in Oregon. Hey things change every day month and year for small businesses. There is always room for another, and We/I encourage competition, makes us look better. :smiley:

Do you have experience? Did you used to work for a company? Do you have family friends? Word of mouth is best!! Go flier areas you know , walk drive around looking for new areas. Oh what’s that? The slightly long way home from the store ? Oh look filthy new vinyl Windows.

I’m not profitable enough to pay bills and rent but I’m getting known. With screen repair I have totaled 38 customers in 1 year 5 repeats on
wc. :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource

I must add,

Get your business licenses and register with state and CGL (commercial general liability insurance)

Make sure you get window cleaner specific, not all plans are equal. (Search forums)

Why don’t you knock on doors?

I have found out over the 18 years I have been in customer service that customers hate being bothered inside their home. They have private and important things going on with different times of day for naps for child, you name it.

I didn’t get into this business to bother people or inconvenience them.
I should know because I been the customer inside their home and getting constant knocks from salesman or fliers. And I always toss their shit in the garbage.
They will read my flier at their convenience and call me if they need my service.

If by not knocking I have lost out on jobs, so be it. I will not be that guy who gets someone killed during a match of battlefield 4, or the wife who just finally got her son down for a nap 2 hours late, or the guy who only wants to smoke his marijuana in private.