Anyone use a magic eraser?

I love using the magic eraser for home cleaning, but I wanted to know if anyone uses it in their window cleaning business? What do you use it for, and for what situation?

Works great on removing CCU silicone and even smudges as a touch-up tool.

I always have it in our toolbox. For every day cleaning, i use a white scrub pad daily. (its replaced our scraper often). Magic erasure paired with a product called bead tamer, from GE (which i discovered on closeout at big lots, but see it online too) is a miracle worker. magic erasure alone takes lots of elbow grease, with bead tamer it is much easier. Im always careful near painted surfaces or woodwork, just in case. But the product doesn’t seem to have an detrimental affects. Doesnt have an offensive smell, but definately contains alcohol. I also use magic erasure for walls if we get a mark on them, skylight walls to wipe black marks, newer window frames (great for restoring woodwork around windows if you are detailing) I use it to restore our equipment (buckets, etc…) I will try to use it on almost anything. I only use the rugged pads though, the regular ones ruin too quickly.

Also they make a mop with handle. If you have a large window with stains or silicone the mop can apply more pressure with the pole. You can also buy replacement heads for the mop.

Yep great tool for your arsenal.

You never know, you could also scuff something pretty easily in a customers home. Its nice to be able to have something on site to fixit up.

They are also great when your pressure washing hose marks up the white vinyl railing on a deck. Comes off no problem.

Always keep some in your truck/van. As a upsale, we provide high dusting for ceiling fans. One customer had some really bad mold on the blades of her patio fans. I was scrubbing really hard with my wet/soapy rags with very little success. She had 5 fans too! This job was going to take me forever and was starting to regret bringing it up until I remembered I had some magic erasers. Charged her $15 per fan and it only took me about 30 minutes to clean and they came out perfect. Two magic erasers and thirty minutes = $75!

They make Magic Eraser with Dawn inside of it now. A window cleaner’s dream! lol

There’s a knock-off available at $aveon for roughly $0.50 a pop, works just as well.

I’ve done some empty home move-out cleaning (not simply dusting) of ceiling fans (among other items) for landlords, property management companies, and realtors. I typically disassemble the fans, use the dishwasher to clean the glass fixtures while I do other work, and completely clean the entire blade (dusting doesn’t do them justice, especially any near a kitchen.)

Why the decision to change from scraper to pad, Melody?

Larry,

Never thought about the dishwasher for glass fixtures before. Interesting… I also can’t recall any fans near kitchens being worse than other fans inside the house. But I can understand why. In my experience, fans outside, especially those that don’t have a screen enclosure, are the worst. Here in Florida, with the humidity so high, any home that is near water (which is very typical with all the lakes and pools) mold growth is common. White outdoor fans get ugly here quick, so magic eraser has saved a lot of time for us cleaning these eyesores.

We still use scrapers but our process used to be: wet-scrape-re-wet-squeegee. The white pad gets the majority of debris off glass without scraping. Its especially awesome for cut ups. WE use it to scrub each pane and then squeegee, no wand. I was used to scraping whole windows down, but finishing with a pocket scraper . I mostly made it our process for employees sake. It takes the pressure off us concerning fabricating debris scratches. they are highly educated about the issue and Ive scared them into never wanting to risk scraping. There are many other reasons, but mostly it depends on the situation. For us, it really cut down on time, and upped our efficiency, and that was key or me.

Where is my automatic signature???

Melody Edwards
A-One Window Cleaning, Inc.
Western MA

Hi Melody. A couple of thoughts. It’s confusing to me how you don’t want to risk scraping but still use scrapers. I don’t see how it takes the pressure off you concerning FD scratches if that’s the case. Especially if they are highly educated about the issue. To me that means they would know it’s not the scraper but the defect and a waiver along w/ customer education is the key - not removing scrapers from the equation.

Thanks for your reply…i like discussion! Sorry I wasn’t clearer. I meant it takes the pressure off my employees to make decisions about which windows are safe to scrape and allows me to be responsible for that decision instead.
I’m about to possibly draw the ire of all window cleaners on this site with the following controversial statement: I do not make my customers sign a waver! I don’t believe its my customers responsibility if I damage their glass. I do educate them though. I became aware of this issue about 9 years ago when I scratched the hell out of a 20’ long panel of glass unknowingly. Luckily the home owners dog bit me, and we called it even (no joke). (and as a side not, I have also heard Dan Fields speak, read his workbook, and really admire the work that he has done to highlight this issue.)
I do understand why many of you are adamant about customers signing the waiver, or not doing post construction at all. But we, as window cleaners now have to live with this issue, and we have to be responsible about how we do our work. Would an electric company employee make a customer sign a waiver if they were doing line work at the customers house? No, because they are trained to know what is safe and what is dangerous, and its not the customers responsibility. (Please don’t challenge me on this analogy. I know it might be a stretch but i hope you get my point.)
What does it say to a customer when I make them sign a waver stating that if I use scrapers on their glass Its not my fault if i scratch it. I disagree…it is my fault if i scratch the glass, especially if I’m educated about the problem.
I just did the worst post const. job this winter, nothing could be scraped. it was excruciating but I decided to take it as a learning experience and really document my process. I figured out ways to get everything off the glass including paint and silicone WITHOUT the use of a scraper, and once i figured it out its about as time consuming as post construction is with scraping. There are ways to do it without using scrapers. If you are educated about the problem and you experiment with new and different methods there is no reason to be scraping glass when you know you shouldn’t.
After 17 years I know glass. I know which brand of windows I can never scrape, I know that if a window was installed pre 90’s Im generally good to scrape unless there’s a coating which we can usually feel right away. One of the first things I teach my employees about scraping is to never scrape a door or a sidelight. I don’t care if its scrapeable or not. I don’t want them to be the decision makers on that. Its my responsibility. I also have them use white pads, which has eliminated at least half of the scraping i used to need to do. And then we very gently use pocket scrapers, and even then sometimes we have to let a couple things go here and there.
Ethically, I could never go in to a house that has just been built, with $30,000 of brand new beautiful windows knowing that theres a good possibility that i will damage them. Yeah, glass and window manufacturers are at fault for creating a crappy product. But as professional educated window cleaners we need to take responsibility for our part in the process.
I rest my case.
Respectfully,
Melody Edwards
Western Massachusetts

I respect your opinion Melody even if I totally disagree w/ it.
What kind of alternatives do you use?
Do you use acids to remove debris? If so you are voiding the IG warranty.
Do you use only white pads and steel wool? How much higher are you prices because of the increased labor?
The biggest difference between your view and mine is that I don’t think we are doing the damage - it’s the defect. No other glass surface will scratch when a razor is used except poor quality tempered/heat strengthened. I don’t believe that accepting this by using alternatives will do anything but make the issue worse and cost the customer more in the long run.
I also believe one of the reasons the glass companies seem to be making more headway than the window cleaning industry is that we are divided on the issue and they are not.

Great place to get Magic Erasers. We’ve been using these for a while now and they work great.

Sponge Outlet

I don’t use any acids, nothing that will void the warranty. When I am in customers homes I don’t use heavy duty chemicals. I don’t tend to use them in general anyway. I find other, more creative ways to remove debris. I believe in creativity and innovation (which is the gift that most window cleaners seem to have) so even though it takes forever to find solutions, like the magic erasure, every once in a while you find something amazing.
I do charge more for newer windows than older ones.
I don’t only use white pads. I have a plethora of tools that i use for post construction, and i try to keep my mind open to out of the box solutions. I don’t even use steel wool anymore…i hate the feeling and the rust.
I strongly disagree with you that we dont cause the damage when we scrape a window that has fabricating debris on it. If we only washed the window, and it didnt have scratches, and then rewash and scrape the window and there are scratches, it is because of the scraping that the fabricating debris is releases. Again, it is tricky for me to say window cleaners are to blame, because we aren’t to blame for the problem. However, if I know that glass has fab debris on it, but choose to scrape it anyway, even though i know what the consequences are, then I am knowingly worsening the condition of the glass, and don’t feel that this benefits my customer. I cant think of any other industry where that would fly.
So even if the glass industry changes their practices, admits to wrongdoing, and never makes a crappy piece of glass again, we all still have to live with the millions of panels that are already damaged.
We are not divided on this issue. You and I both want the same outcome…better glass quality.
We are divided on how we handle the cleaning of the glass.
My customers may or may not pay more for my method, but they will have beautiful unscratched glass when we finish cleaning the windows.
I think the reason the glass industry makes headway is because they are a more advanced, organized industry. With groups like WCRA who appeal to a wide array of wc business owners, perhaps our industry will soon catch up.
Lastly, I know that I will not change your mind about this issue, and you are not changing my mind…however I really think discussion like this is healthy for all of us. I appreciate your strong opinions, and hope you appreciate mine also.
Melody Edwards
Western MA

Thanks! Just ordered 300. Great price