Are sectional ladders lighter and easier to carry than extension ladders?

I have been reading the posts here, and a lot of good info. I did watch a video where the window cleaner said you could go to 45 ft. Sounds a bit to high. What is the MAX height one would go.

Window cleaners have been using sectional ladders in the 35ft-45ft range for decades. The ladder was designed for window cleaners to use and we need 30ft ladders. They are safe to use if they are set up
properly. Itā€™s my opinion that the knuckle heads using the
ladders are the problem not the ladder.

My experience is that they are
fairly easy to work with up to
around 21ft. but over 21ft takes
some extra skill, apparently to
much skill for workers in the
modern era because quite a few
accidents have happened and people have sued the ladder company and won. Now we have a 21ft height limit on sectional ladders.
PS
Just wondering, how come they
never sue the knuckle head who
set up the ladder?

Bump

I was watching a sailing tutorial a few years ago and the instructor made a statement that changed my life. She said ā€œIf it isnā€™t easy youā€™re doing it wrong.ā€ This statement is true in window cleaning as well. When people say that using the sectional ladder is to difficult I know they are just doing it wrong. Remember ā€œItā€ is always easy when youā€™re doing ā€œitā€ right whatever ā€œitā€ is. Sectionals make life easy when you know how to use them properly.

I just read the majority of this post i was pretty surprised that not 1 person asked the OP how he was carrying the ladders. I have seen bout less videos and contractors both WC and various other contractors over the years and i am quite astounded at the different ways people carry a ladder, So many of these people look uncomfortable or awkward.
Then i thought i will search the forum and see if there is a guide for using a ladder.
This was really the only post regarding carrying a ladder.
I am just talking general ladder use, not limited to sectional basically because they banned the use of them here over 20 years ago, mainly due to operator fault(iā€™m guessing), i think they are a great idea.
So I guess iā€™m just asking a question that should have been asked in the 1st few pages How do you carry ladders?

ā€œbecause they banned the use of them here over 20 years agoā€ Just curious, where is here?

Oh lol i thought it showed up on my location. Australia

Yes they would be easier on your shoulders because unlike an extension ladder you only have to carry the pieces you need. Two or three pieces are light and easy. There are videos on YouTube to watch. Firemen seem to know what they are doing when it comes to ladders.

It does. I am using a phone and didnā€™t see it.

//youtu.be/emCBI31qmSg

This is a simple firefighter video. There are more. A lot more.

Yea that is a decent video on how to carry a ladder.
However is that what all the extension ladders look like there?
Rope in the middle of the rungs, rope that just flops about, round rungs, the whole ladder just looked cheap.
Here is the ladders i use Professional 150kg Extension.

Iā€™ve seen better videos on ladder carrying but I didnā€™t have time to find them. I use sectionals so I donā€™t save them in my playlists.

So Iā€™m some what new with the sectional ladders. I have 4 sections and love it. But I do find I sometimes wish I had more height. The ladders say to not exceed 4 section. Do you get by just fine by adding a 5th section? has the ladder ever failed or is that just a standard warning they put on the ladders

There was some pics just recently on Facebook of people using 5,6,7 and 8 sections. I use 5 frequently.

Robbie Hanson
A Glass Act Window Cleaning
Henderson, NV
www aglassactlv.com

Cool thanks. Iā€™m just always nervous going against manufacturers recommendation when Iā€™m off
the ground. But if no one is having issues with extra sections

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app

Just stay in your comfort zone. Most of us who use sectionals have been doing it for a long long time. Take it slow and at your pace donā€™t try and throw 6 pieces together on your next job lol

Yea Iā€™m probably going to stick to 4 for now but I may order a 5th to have on hand incase itā€™s needed. Also is there a way to make them slide together easier? Mine are new and they seem to stick.

Just keep using them theyā€™ll break in. Iā€™ve heard some sanding down the rivets a little but I didnā€™t. It will become your favorite ladder very soon. I almost never use an extension ladder.

What top piece did you get?

Robbie Hanson
A Glass Act Window Cleaning
Henderson, Nevada
www.aglassactlv.com

The 6 foot v groove.

Ya have to have a short half section, 4ft. I donā€™t know how the guys work without them.

1 Like