Are sectional ladders lighter and easier to carry than extension ladders?

I would think sectionals fully extended to equal 24 feet for an even comparison sectionals on a daily basis maybe more strenuous because of setup and teardown possibly.

You will gain lighter weight on areas when you don’t need the full for sections in use. You don’t have that one foot increment adjustability like you do an extension ladders you stuck with the five foot intervals.

I wouldn’t use sectionals in place of a 24 for daily use

[quote=“jhans, post:123, topic:17186”]
You don’t have that one foot increment adjustability like you do an extension ladders
[/quote]

That’s because a one foot adjustment is almost NEVER needed with a sectional ladder.

PS
I almost NEVER set up a sectional ladder under a window because it is the WRONG way to set up a sectional. Sectionals almost ALWAYS get set in the top half of the window on the frame at an angle to the wall. Placing it under the window most of the time is crazy! Defeats the whole idea. Renders the ladder kinda useless.

ON THE FRAME - IN THE TOP HALF - AT AN ANGLE. :smiley:

4 Likes

WOW
This is an old thread.
Did I already say that ^^^^ ?
The thread is worth a read.
Could save you thousands of dollars in lost productivity by switching to sectionals

Listen to Seth Fensterstock because he knows sectionals. ^^^^^.

PS
Just remembered that @sethfenster doesn’t like using a half piece. Back in the day they didn’t have half pieces, only 6ft pieces, and everybody was happy for decades and decades. Perhaps we should all forget about the 4ft section because it really isn’t necessary. Perhaps Metallica has gone back to the original idea, because they no longer make 4ft, 5ft or 8ft sections. K.I.S.S.

1 Like

Plus when you click the info icon next to the web address in Google chrome it says the site is not secure and to not enter sensitive info as it could be stolen. Just seems like such a specialized thing to build a fake site around.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. I’ve been in some sticky spots before making my half piece. Really risky ladder sets from not having the proper reach, and no room to add another 6’ section.

I’m kind of scared that metallic is on their way out of the sectional biz, entirely. Can’t seem to find spare parts anymore.

2 Likes

I love my half piece as well but window cleaners got ALL their work done for decades without a half piece.

If Metallica Ladder gets out there’s always Babcock Ladder.

2 Likes

One of my competitors uses wooden sectionals! I couldn’t believe my eyes when i saw it for the first time. I struggle to stack four pieces and they’re aluminum.

I think they weigh about the same.
I learned a lot from two old timers I met doing windows at a church a few years back. They were like in their 70’s. Man were they fast. Smoking fast. They were doing triple hung widows with combination storms and each sash had twelve panes. For them it was a walk in the park. Blew my mind.

They let me watch and I learned more in an hour than I had learned in ten years on my own with my sectionals.

Anyway one guy had a wooden sectional and the other had aluminum. They both thought their choice of ladder was better.

4 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

I hate sectionals. It’s all about personal preference tho. I had a set for 7 years and used it maybe a handful of times. I will say that when you need them you really need them. If it’s all you have then you can get creative with them to make them work.

But I’m a firm believer in not only having sectionals but also having a little giant and extension ladders. It’s about having a complete tool set.

That said, I’ll think of 6 different ways of doing a window before having to use a sectional. It usually goes like

1. Can I get it with a pole?
  2. Can I get it with a little giant?
  3. Can I get it with an extention ladder?
  4. Can I stack some rocks up to make a sketchy scaffolding?
  5. Does the customer really need this window cleaned?
  6. Can I hang off the roof to get this one?
  7. Crap, where’s the sectional?
3 Likes

Jared: Don’t mean to be argumentative here but if you only used them a handful of times it’s safe to assume that you do not know how to use them properly. There’s a long learning curve with sectionals. So of course you hate them. :slightly_smiling_face:

That being said I hate wagtails and moerman swivel squeegees. Waste of time. I used them a handful of times and found out through experience that I do a much better job with traditional gear.

It’s ok that I’m to lazy to learn how to wagtail that’s my choice, just like it’s ok for you not to learn how to use a sectional ladder.

4 Likes

Amen to that !

2 Likes

What I meant was I only used it on a handful of paying jobs. When I first got them, I was taught how to use them from other window cleaners. I also learned their limitations were like 6’ increments, rounded pegs which hurt your feet, and narrowness which could be a good thing depending on the job.

On a construction site or ccu, extension ladders rule.

On residential, little giants rule because you can go from a-frame to extension.

On commercial, poles and wfp rule.

On very few jobs, like a commercial wall of glass, then yeah, sectionals have a purpose. Or on a residential with close by windows, corner areas, stuff like that where it’s too narrow for lg/ext placement.

But if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a weasel. I’m not arguing against them per se, it’s a useful tool like a wagtail ;).

I just don’t like them. Sectionals, not the wagtail, I love me some waggin - but again on specific types of windows. I’d hate to use a wagtail as my ONLY tool…

I’m trying really hard to remember the last time I used my LG knockoff. Matter of fact, I’m not sure where it even is… :thinking::rofl:

Extension ladders are for 3rd story windows and gutter cleaning. All else is either stacks or 5’ step.

#ladderwars :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

We need a wagelrator ladder…

I was going to throw my LG in a dumpster because it’s worthless to me and decided to give it to my son instead. He’s a homeowner not a window cleaner so it’s ok. LOL

1 Like

They owe you an apology!

1 Like

There are a lot of good instructional videos.

But at the end of the day, it’s a ladder. One end goes up, the other end goes down. You climb up, you climb down. It’s a pretty basic piece of equipment.

I’d argue that if you don’t use the LG regularly, then you don’t know how to use it. It’s more “complicated” than sectionals but more versatile. Plus it’s a babe magnet.

Just trying to keep the # ladderwars going!

1 Like

I give up

1 Like