Asked to clean off bricks and siding from runoff?

Working on a commercial bid, and after I submitted it I was asked to also include “spraying off the brick and siding that would have runoff from the windows” since I’d be using a WFP. The exact words were: “we don’t want a dirty building from the water off. I’m only asking for you to clean the area where run off has affected the building.”

I have no interest in using a pressure washer for this job. For one, I don’t own one and can’t afford one atm. I don’t even have a WFP yet; but I’ll get one if this job accepts my bid. Two, I have no interest in constantly alternating between WFP and pressure washer for every story of this building.

I’m wondering how possible it is to use a WFP to move water down brick and siding to ‘clean it off’ after using it on the windows. Like, would it be as simple as doing the rinsing motion like what we do on the glass? Or does that seem like cleaning a latrine with a toothbrush?

But also, I don’t recall WFP producing a ton of runoff in the first place on resi units. And runoff tends to clean as it runs anyway, doesn’t it?

Anyway, if this is even possible, I’m definitely adding a big number to the bid because imho that’s a totally different job than just window cleaning.

Thoughts?

They’re probably thinking like they don’t want water dripping from the windows, onto the siding, then onto the windows below. If it’s a metal siding, they probably want to prevent streaks (like tiger stripes on gutters)

But really they’re probably expressing this in great detail because they don’t understand how wfp works

That’s what I’m thinking. Originally she was asking me to pressure wash the glass, but I wrote in my proposal that a WFP would be better for this job (and explained what WFP was and why it would be better). I’ll still up the bid, though, just for this potentially becoming a headache.

That’s not a thing.

1 Like

It sounds to me like she is trying to get a building wash (pressure washing) for free. I recommend either educating the difference between window cleaning and pressure washing or walk away from this potential headache.

1 Like

Something we’ve found helpful is sending a YouTube link of how we do our jobs. After that people are pretty convinced they want to go with us and don’t have any additional questions.

4 Likes

filthy screen tracks, or filthy ledges/sills on a white/light color stucco wall is when the dirt needs to be chased down and is a real pain if it has cobwebs and leaves etc that “stick” to the wall as rinsing, brick walls though?

Yeah, that’s where I’m a little confused. I’ve tried clarifying with the client, but I just don’t think they get it. Even when I asked, “are you wanting me to pressure wash the entire side of the building?” they said, “no, just where the water would leave runoff marks below the windows.”

I can kind of see where they’re coming from. They want me to clean the windows because there’s a new building across the street that sent over a ton of dirt and dust during construction. But, I just don’t see how using a WFP on windows is going to leave runoff marks on red bricks that regular ol’ rain wouldn’t have already.

But whatever. If they want to make excuses for me to charge more, it is what it is.

1 Like

Thankfully, I’ve been putting in clarifying notes in the “terms” section of the proposal. With this, I’ll be adding more notes that distinguish between pressure washing and simply cleaning up ‘runoff’ from the WFP. Trying to cover my butt if they want to come back and say, “this isn’t what we wanted!”

Well, it was outlined in the terms you agreed to.

It’s not going to unless the sillls are really packed with mud , like a Bruce says , then that dirt will run down the side of the brick . If it’s just dirt on the windows you won’t see it. Only if the sills are all muddy.
Your caught between a rock and a hard place. The problem is they’re showing a concern about it which sucks , because you’ll be responsible if those sills are packed with mud.

If they’re the best way to elevate it is with a power washer once done you power wash the Walls real quick , then just redo the top window real quick. It would take forever to rinse of brick with a WFP

1 Like

I’d pass if I were you. Or get up there and get a look at some sills , if you really want the job you have two options. Get a look at the sills if not packed tell them no problem I’ll make sure no run off. If they are rent a power washer for the day. Up charge for the labor an rental. Don’t put rental fee charge though just make it all labor.
JMO
Well the third option is just take a gamble an say no worries Ill make sure no run off. to me more than likely those sills are fine.

1 Like

Would it be possible to take a bottle of water and pour across the ledge. Then after it dries see what it looks like below. Has it rained recently. I doubt the ledge is dirty enough to notice any runoff. Maybe a blower across the ledges then clean.

If they are asking for it, then it makes sense that last time the person they used left the building looking that way, which means they wait long periods of time in between cleanings so its gonna be as bad or worse this time.
The easiest way to prevent this would be to clean out all tracks before, if there is nothing in the tracks nothing will run out.

1 Like

The run off, if any, would be from accumulated dirt/debris on the building from neglect.

If they are concerned then ask that they have the building pressure washed to remove all of that dirt, then call you to schedule window cleaning.

You then won’t have many months or years of dirt to run off when using your WFP.

If not - Next.

2 Likes

Thanks all!

I visited the property again today, and the sills don’t look any worse than your average window sill. There’s dirt buildup pretty bad on the glass, and it may leave some marks on the bricks, but I’ll be adding a charge on the bid for essentially extra rinse time.

On this job, I’m also doing screen repair, so when (if) I go in to remove the screens, I’ll use my track brush to get as much dirt off the sills as I can. So, I don’t foresee the dirt behind screens being a major issue.

Thank you all for your insight! Definitely gave me a lot to consider, and I’ll continue using yall’s advice!

1 Like

It sounds like they don’t have a good understanding of how much less water is used with WFP vs. PW. It might help to alleviate their concerns if you can identify approximately how much water you will be using with WFP.

From looking at the picture I would estimate 3 to 4.5 gallons with WFP to clean the 9 pane window openings. Other WFP guys will probably have a different estimate. I can’t picture that amount of water causing “rainbow” streaks on the red bricks if you give the sills a good scrub with track brushes and rags. However, I don’t have experience with WC on brick buildings so it is probably a good idea to get input from other people.

1 Like

The other option is you could just ladder up trad clean them.

2 Likes

:weary:People still do that :rofl:. Me ladders have cobwebs on them . There’s a charge for that. Dust of cobwebs set up ladders haaa

HAHAHA…Yea, my ladders are pretty dusty too, but they do have their place. Sometimes a WFP needs to stay put and go old school. :slight_smile:

I mentioned this at the outset, and she just laughed and said, “that would take forever!”