Bad Glass

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Here’s a picture of some bad OldCastle glass I looked at yesterday.

Pretty poor quality.

Installed in a lake home?

Old Crapper er Castle is the absolute worst temperer out there. I have yet to find a job w/ Old Castle that doesn’t have FD on most of it. It’s garbage pure and simple.

Same here. Most of our upper class homes will have all pella’s, anderson, or hurd With the exception of the front entry way. Alot of our builders feel the need to put a ton of old castle glass with wood clad frames around the doors and entry ways. nasty stuff. they always have some sort of issue. If it’s not the FD it’s finger prints or glue marks in between the panes.

Gotta love the finger prints between the panes! I did one house last year that had a large half moon window above their front door. It looked horrible when I got done, ive never seen soo many finger prints in between in my career. Good to hear about castle though, I will have to keep an eye out for that brand.

We just finished the Chevron Building today. It took us three days to do the whole job, (2800 panes, 3 to 4 stories, and half of the job has leed’s awnings on it) It has all Old Castle Glass on the entire building. They have already had to replace $250,000.00 worth of glass because of Scratches.

We used water fed pole’s to do the entire job, I cleaned a few panes traditionally, scraped it off showed all of upper management the scratches, and explained the whole Fab Debris problem to them. It’s a shame because their is a ton of construction debris on the glass. They are finally resigning themselves to the fact that they will have to get all of this scraped off and then just live with the scratches.

With the Heat Index it was over 100 plus each day we were there!! I gave my whole crew off tomorrow and told them to just chill out!!!

windowman

Charlie - It will be 74F here on Saturday for our event. You could come experience some nice weather and great networking!

Scott - I have also had issues w/ Pella windows. They used to do their own tempering. Not sure if they still do or not.

I see Olde Castle all over the place here and virtually every panel is junk.

Hey Tony,

I’d love too, but Saturday I’m actually going to a Luau (is that spelled right???), and after this week, I’m going to fill up on teriyaki chicken, Hawaiian whatever, and spend the whole day in the Pool!!! :smiley:

Ya’ll have a great time.

windowman

Charlie,

Now that you’ve got that Chevron building knocked out, I hope you spend some more time on WCR. I’ve missed your post!

Pretty awesome job, btw.

aawww man, you’re a true Southern Gentleman Micah!! :slight_smile:

Ha, Hey Thanks. I’ll definitely try to log on every day or so. I’ve missed all of the post’s, laugh’s, info, etc.

Like most, I’ve just been pretty busy. Between work, the wife and Kids, My congregation responsibilities, building a garage, and everything else going on, it’s hard to take a breath sometime just to chill out and catch up with you guy’s.

I had a good day today though, it’s me and my wife’s 26th wedding anniversary today. We opened all the presents, gave the kids some presents, spent a bunch of time together and just had a great evening.
below is a pic of the family

ya’ll have a good night!!

windowman

Congrats on 26 Charlie! Dawn and I just had our 23rd on the 12th of this month.

Congrats on the anniversarys! My wife and I will have been married 3 years in October. I tell her it seems like it’s only been 3 minutes … under water.

Getting back to the bad glass, Oldcastle and Arch seem to be the worse around here. If there’s some of that glass installed, there’s fabricating debris and gunk between the glass. The stuff between the glass just goes to show that their entire quality control system isn’t working (if they have one).

I’ve done a few upscale houses that have had defective (FD) installed. My favorite residential style window is Jeld-wen. They seem flawless, although I’d still require a waiver for a ccu.

I’d have to agree Micah, Arch is another bad fabricator. I also like JenWeld windows but I have had issue w/ one house that had them. A large roundtop over the front entry was itchy. Of course the waiver was in place and the customer said to continue since it was covered in paint after his attempt at painting soffits.

In the old days I could throw rocks at the windows and they would not be damaged. After 40 years cleaning windows it not to much fun any more. That is why I started to make the only carbon fiber poles made in America
but even that is now being over run from the poles from Europe! All new glass is now coming out with warning on the label to not use razors of blades! If you do you paid!
You can sign all the stuff you want but if you get scratches and you know that you our putting them on you will pay.
We need to walk away from glass like this or use de-natural alcohol and oooo steel wool if that will work.
Phillip Alexander
WeDewWindows Inc.
1-865-256-2225:mad:

That’s a common misconception Phil. Dan Fields has sucessfully defended wcers against this defect even in the absence of a signed waiver. The sticker is actually an admission of the defective nature of their product.:wink: