Beginner necessities?

A wise window cleaner once said that our competition isn’t other window cleaners. It’s all the people out there who aren’t getting their windows cleaned yet.

Plenty out there for the taking. Never mind what anyone else is doing.

6 Likes

there’s plenty o glass.

3 Likes

@Jersey

Can u recommend anot extension pole that would go well with Luke’s plus kit or your basic kit?

Thanks

We have a pole in the kit

2 Likes

Yup. Best Buy is a huge competitor of mine. Everyone keeps spending their money on them instead of me

1 Like

Hes not insinuating that you are going to try to take Lukes business (although you are, just not in a direct way). But Luke isnt the only cleaner in your area either. Store front can be a tough game. I’ve been doing this for years and am almost entirely residential with my fair share of commercial work. I’ve only been able to build a small route of storefronts even after all of this time. Like Mike said, unless someone drops the ball, its not that easy to get in. They usually stick with the guy they have and will shoot you down immediately unless you have a great pitch. Or they “do it themselves” or they just dont do it at all like chinese restaurants for some reason.

2 Likes

Funny thing is I never said I am specifically going after storefronts.

1 Like

Ah I see. Do u find u can reach most 2nd story windows with an 8’ pole? I am wondering if I should ask if I can trade out a longer pole and pay the difference. But since I don’t know what I am doing it REALLY appreciate all the valuable input from u guys

No you cant reach a second story window with an 8ft pole from the ground.

The 18’ Unger is my go to pole. Collapses to 6’ so its manageable on storefronts but long enough for most other applications.
https://shopwindowcleaningresource.com/unger-optiloc-extension-pole-3-section.html

Not sure which tools you plan on going with but sometimes keeping them the same brand can save a little headache. That way the squeegee can fit on the pole and lock onto it

1 Like

Werner is German made precision! They’ve been in the ladder business for a long time, so have better designs than cheep (made in China) ladders. The extension ladders have the rope going up the side, rather than in the middle of the steps (like many brands I’ve seen) which is dangerous, if you ask me (get tangled on your feet or foot slipping when stepping on it on the way down = as when I tried a couple of these cheep ladders in the shops). My Werner is very lite, good quality craftsmanship. Highly recommend them.

1 Like

Gottifire. It’s not what you know, it’s WHO you know too.

Make it known to your friends, relatives, business associates, your mechanic, your dentist, your doctor, your old e-commerce buddy’s, etc (get the picture? = network) let them (let everyone know) that your now window cleaning. All these people have houses. And those house owners, may have businesses to (see the connection?). Carry your business cards everywhere. Business opportunities are everywhere.

Perhaps explore subcontracting opportunities with local commercial or domestic cleaning companies. Some companies are good at house cleaning etc, but hopeless with a squeegee. Offer a reasonable hourly rate, and you never know where that may lead.

But get the basics down first. Just practice, practice, practice. Clean your windows at home, again and again, and again and again.

4 Likes

Excellent ideas. Taking notes. Thank u

Do u use the Werner multi?

I use the little baby Werner multi almost every day. I’ve got a larger Little Giant 17’ and a 24’ extension ladder, but the small werner gets the most use. Pretty much everything below two stories can be cleaned with that one ladder.

1 Like

Sorry bud but when you said "Hopefully he hasn’t gobbled up all the good biz :slight_smile: " I assumed you were talking about the storefronts in your town. I mean it’s just two people working. Also lots and lots of guys start with storefronts. Peace brother.

3 Likes

We use the small werners all of the time! They’re so versatile and you need that in a ladder, especially around here with sloping landscapes and houses with basements. Great for windows that are in stairwells.

4 Likes

No worries brother. Keep up the good work

1 Like