Best method & proposal?

Hello all, you inspire me!
I’d like to please get your input on the best method for cleaning both sides of these 66 angled windows up top, and general ideas for the proposal/estimate, which the contractor wants ASAP. I’ll also be cleaning the rest of the storefront windows, hopefully on a regular basis. Thanks!

Personally I would use a scissor lift for the underside, and while its there use if for the top side as well to WFP from at level with the bottom glass. I’d be around $800+ lift costs.

1 Like

Thank you, Steve! Alternative to WFP?

You could pole it, if your not used to poling that height, might not look the best

1 Like

I was thinking to do that, while on a lift. May have to scrape them, also.

Well I guarantee that glass is tempered, probably not very new. if it does scratch you will be liable, maybe try some bronze wool.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve. The glass is 30+ yrs old.

I would do a test spot. One row should be good . all the way down, On both sides …with my wfp first
Take it from there !

See how it looks. If not good , try to see if you can scrub it with something ,white pad/steel wool rinse , an see what’s up

If results are good , the time it takes will tell you what to charge

Also find out what there expectation is before you quote. Let them know it’s highly neglected glass

2 Likes

That’s a Kroger I have done plenty of those with a wfp

1 Like

I would pole the underside (made sure you’ve got a good carbon fiber pole that’ll reach in my opinion), also have cones, caution tape / barriers if they will be open, also I’d WFP the top side (cause I have one). But if you don’t have a WFP, you could try to pole it. Lots of contractors will use the ASAP estimate technique to get as many cleaners suckered in to the lowest price or what they would charge to just have their employees do it. It’s been done to me before. As for price, if I didn’t really need it or want it, I’d estimate high. If you’re super slow and can’t take another day off, I’d give a discounted price. In any case, it’s business and it’s cray cray sometimes.

2 Likes

I got the job! Thanks, guys!
I estimated $750, not including lift costs.
I’m going to make an offer to the store manager to do the entrance ways every 4 weeks, also.
I don’t have a wfp, so I’m going to have to pole it.
The windows above the entrance ways are badly scratched, I don’t guess there’s anything I can do about that. Any other advice from you window gurus? Would a porcupine scrubber be appropriate for the top canopy, or would it scratch? Is bronze wool best, and is it available for pole? Thank you!!

Those panels plastic?

A doodle bug and a bronze pad will work, if not plastic.

I would probably spray the pad with Bar Keepers Friend Foam and scrub away.

1 Like

Almost positive they are all glass. Will make sure before proceeding. What is a doodlebug, and can I get one on this site?

1 Like

Is there a hose spigot there ? If there really bad , I would doodle bug them , rinse them with a hose , then go back an clean them
Traditionaly
One guy scrubbing one guy rinsing. Just me. Some might think it’s crazy , but to me thats the best way if No WFP. When do a maintence clean it won’t be necessary.
WFP would be optimal , but it is what it is.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll check it out today!
Doodlebug pads are available on this site?