Beware of scoresense.com

I am in the market for a new work vehicle. I applied online a couple weeks ago for a loan. During the process, I was offered to see my credit scores with all 3 score companies for only $1.00. I took the deal, and within a minute or 2 I saw all 3 of my credit scores.

Well, a week later, a $29.95 fee showed up. Turns out the $1.00 was for a 7 day trial period of credit monitoring with scoresense.com. They want $29.95 EVERY MONTH! They instantly cancelled my membership…but I just got an email this morning saying I had been denied a refund of the $29.95.

Normally I’m pretty savvy about such offers. But, I’d been filling out several forms for the auto loan and this little detail must have slipped by me when I took advantage of the offer. Later I found they had emailed me…and those emails turned out to have gone into my spam folder and on out in the trash.

Beware Scoresense.com! If you take the $1 offer, make sure you cancel membership within 7 days!

If you contact each of the credit reporting agencies, they are required by law to provide you with at least one credit report per year for free.

Your story is identical to mine, it could have been my own post. Only difference is that I wasn’t sent any confirmation email saying that I had inadvertently signed up for a trial membership. I have been looking over all messages in my SPAM folder before discarding them, and there was nothing from Scoresense in my Inbox or SPAM folder. And, why would they want to let someone know via email they signed up, when they have surreptitiously tricked them into a purchase? How can you be sure they even sent you a confirmation message that went to your SPAM folder?

This is my first Facebook posting. I am on the web all the time, but have refused to participate with any sort of social media, but the line has been drawn here, and your experience with this company mirrored my own. I am exceedingly careful about any and every purchase I make, and feel totally tricked by Scoresense.

But that doesn’t include your score, just your report.

Hi,

I already knew my scores, pretty much always know my scores, within a few points one way or another, looked at scores not a month ago. This was something I went into thinking it had to do with a refinance option and thought for the refinance path, paying $1 to verify scores was a reasonable request/requirement. I don’t have the original email they sent to go back to, but it was somehow misrepresented as a refinance opportunity, this was right after a new refinance program was announced by the White House. I have a great custom built house that is not underwater, on a mountainous 5-acres. Both the house and property are unique in every way and there are no comps available, so even though no payments have been late, no one will consider a refinance. Supposedly, this is a real quick process, so I thought, maybe no comps will be necessary and jumped on the opportunity. Then this score thing came up, and I approved a $1 charge to my account, had no idea I was approving a trial membership, I didn’t need my scores, already knew them. It was for this process that I was willing to give my card # and pay the dollar. And there WAS NO CONFIRMATION EMAIL sent to my Inbox or redirected to my SPAM folder. I was clueless until a charge of $29.98 hit my bank account.

Someone in this thread mentioned reporting this company to the BBB and the AG’s office of the related state, and I’m thinking that is the thing to do, should they continue with their decision not to refund my money, except they can have the dollar that I authorized in good faith to them. My accusation is that Scoresense did not act in good faith and has continued to not act in good faith. Wells Fargo thought they would refund the money, and whether Scoresense does the right thing by this refund or not, Wells Fargo bankers have assured me that any and all charges will be rejected by them in the future. I am further going to get information from the bank on how to best go after Scoresense should they fail to immediately issue a refund. Everyone who has been misled and subsequently cheated by this company should go after them.

Yeah that fine print will get ya. Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, I think it was freescore.com and it was $14.99.

Lots of companies do things like this because the know most people don’t bother to read all the fine print. Have you ever tried to get out of a gym membership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I haven’t ever tried to get out of a gym membership, but living in the middle of nowhere, there is no gym to join… :slight_smile:

Scoresense changed their mind and decided to refund my money. They did the right thing in the end, perhaps it was just to avoid a hassle, but I am grateful for it.

That is correct, but they don’t have to show you a score

Yeah, they got me too, some ad about rent to own homes in my area, but I had to sigh up for this, said about the One Dollar refundable charge.
Today I see my bank statement I was charged $29.95, I tried to call the CS # and was on hold for 20 minuets, Somebody finely came on (unprofessional sounding young girl) and as soon as I said I wanted to cancel, and started to explain how I was tricked into this, the phone made that tone, and I got the “If you’d like to make a call please hand up”…" If you need help, dial your operator" like you get when your cut off.
Bitch probably hung up. I guess they tell them to do that.
I’m gonna call my bank and tell them not to allow charges from this company any longer, but I guess I am out the $29.95 they got me for this month.
Thats it, I’m done, this was a visa bank card I used, if it was a regular credit card I might had a better chance.
I am not going to use these bank cards on line any more, they say a regular credit card is safer.
Anywhere worth reporting these SOB’s to?

Well, I called them the next day, and the fellow said he would cancel future monthly billing, and put in a “request” for the refund. Said he could not promise.
In the meanwhile, I filed the dispute with my bank, I don’t know if they got on there ass or what, but I just got an e mail (in my junk folder), stating ,Dear anthony,

Thank you for contacting ScoreSense Customer Care. After careful review of your account, the following refund requests have been processed:
Transaction Date 07/22/2012 Billed Amount $29.95 Refund Status Approved

[B][I]Important Refund Status Information:

Approved: The refund should post to your credit card or bank account within 3-5 business days.

[/I][/B]

So this is a good thing, Last time I give CC info to some bull **** site, even for $1.00	  

I to was taken by this company. A free credit report is free not 29.99. Never saw that charge nor the 7 day trial info at all.

I went right to my Mastercard company and filed a dispute. Maybe this will get them to see I am not kidding…

I just canceled my TRIAL membership to ScoreSense (signed up and canceled the same day), BUT you CAN negotiate a cheaper package with them. I still canceled because all I wanted was the credit score. The regular is $29.95 for their basic membership per month (which you can’t find pricing for -anywhere- on their site, which aggravated me), but they will offer 70% off that price if you ask ($9.95 a month). OR you can opt for a $3.95 a month plan that includes everything in the basic membership SANS the active credit reporting. Anyway, just letting everyone know as an FYI. Like I said, I still canceled mine, but was told I could always re-activate and the offers would still stand. I think it’s a little deceptive to not show pricing anywhere on the site, but if you call their customer service, you get no hassles in canceling. 800-678-5464 (M-F 8-8 CST, Sat 8-5 CST, Sun 12-6 CST).

I was also a victim. Like the other fellow, I’m savvy about this stuff and still I got taken… no where did I see a $29.99 would be charge. Someone needs to contact the DA in their state and shut down this criminal operation.

Scoresense charged me $19.95 no my debit card without my authorization on 1-6-12.before this I had no idea who they where, so check your statements and check often.

If you are on line looking for ANYTHING, beware of all offers made…I got my 7 day scoresense trial just because I was filling out a job application…it will take you longer to do something like request your credit info, but if you go through someone else/an agency, it will NOT be for free. Instead, there will be strings attached to a trial membership which is really a crock of you know what.

Somebody has to do something to these people at once, I was also victimize by these people…I cancelled mine two days after I applied for loan and yet they keep on getting money from my account, actually twice a month, the one dollar fee and the monthly fee of 29.99 dollars I just notice it last month and I trying to look for the right agency or Gov’t.Offices that deals with these kind of criminals.Maybe we can help each other.