Bidding and what to say

So I was on a residential estimate this morning. Big house and lots of windows around 35 DH windows or so. My bid was $475. I got the job. But before that he asked me if that was the best I could do. I didn’t really know what to say, I just tripped over my words and mumble some things. I was happy that I got the job anyways but I would like to come up with a better response when asked that question. Any thoughts? What do you say when asked if the quoted price is the best you can do?

The best I could do would be $1475…

3 Likes

it can feel a bit like this sometimes: Ocean's 11: Rusty Explains the Art of Conversation - YouTube

1 Like

“The best I can do will cost $600. At this price point I can’t guarantee the quality”

2 Likes

No to start with and then say if we can do them twice a year I will let you know the price after I finish

8 Likes

When they say that I don’t even want to work for them any more. If I had bigger gonads I’d turn on my heels and leave. Let them call a crew of low balling clowns to come and wash the windows for a nickel. I hate when they say that, hate it! End of rant

5 Likes

I’ve faced that a couple times. I have a canned response and it goes like this:
“Yes that is the best I can do. My quotes are based on a formula so I’m not just pulling a number out of the air. The price I’ve just given you is what I believe it takes to keep us both happy. On your end, you can rest assured that price will buy you the best possible results. And on my end, I’ll make enough to keep my business profitable while working at a safe pace. So did you have a day in mind that would be best to schedule the job?”

5 Likes

If I understand you correctly sir, My price is too high, if I come down even a little I have the job? $474.99. Bada Bing Bada boom! See you tomorrow at noon!

3 Likes

is that the best you can do?
yup.

2 Likes

It’s the best I can do having to pay for insurance, bonding, workmans comp, top of the line equipment, health insurance, protecting your home and valuables while I’m inside your house, and being a professional who has to pay taxes instead of taking cash only.

2 Likes

That’s even better.

Someday when I’m feeling cheeky I want to say “Yes. You are not buying a knockoff purse in Chinatown. Price is what the price is.”

Like they say…“DO IT!” :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t think I would take it so personal. Everyone wants a deal. I’d just be polite as say, “Yes sir, but I do offer a referral discount on your next service. We get a lot of referrals so make sure they tell us that you sent them our way.”

3 Likes

There a lot of different ways to address that question, you got some great response to it so far in this thread. Once you think you have a canned response to that question practice it a lot so it becomes natural “just rolls off your tongue.”

The price is the price. First cleans are always the most work. If you would like to continue with a quarterly clean going forward after that, we can do a __% discount at that time. This is the dates I have available ________.

3 Likes

Some great replies here. I’ve taken some notes and getting to work on my own script.

1 Like

“Normally it would cost more but I discounted this job because:
I want to get more work in this neighborhood, or,
I gave a volume discount because so many DH are similar,
etc.”

2 Likes

A bad reply would be “nice house you have here. Be a shame if something should happen to it.”

2 Likes

I would say if you get a neighbour to book with you il knock 15% off each job.

1 Like