BIG opportunity...Need genuine opinions here

Oh, sure, a lift will be great. Nope.

Lifts are good for certain jobs (3+ stories ccu with no landscaping to worry about), but I think for this job a ladder would be cheaper, faster, and less of a headache. Oh, sure, you’ll feel it in the morning because that’s a lot of stairmaster but you don’t have to worry about someone putting that basket into the wall.

You do this first job, get them on a annual or biannual schedule, then buy a wfp, get a pump, run two poles and be done in 25% of the time but keep the price the same.

2 Likes

Being a solo guy right now myself, I would go this route. I suggest you do it as well!. Use ladders, get it done and get them on a schedule. After the job, you can grab a WFP and cut that time down. Looks like you get to walk away with money in the bank and a WFP!!

Good luck man.

Just remember, these very same type of windows were cleaned traditionally with ladder and squeegee before WFP were even invented. Not saying to not grasp onto new technology, but don’t let it be in your mind as such a “must have item” that you feel you can’t clean them traditionally as well.

Set aside funds from each job, $5 or $55, and soon there will be a WFP in your mitts.

4 Likes

Fair enough statement. I absolutely love cleaning traditionally. When I first started, I thought for sure that I would need WFP or I’d be doomed. I had it set in my mind that I was going to have one financed. That didn’t fall through and I am happy that it didnt. It’s a debt that isn’t needed at the moment. I am in no rush for it now. But, don’t get me wrong, if I had a job that size with such low overhead, I would be buying one after I got paid. This way I can tackle more jobs that size, faster.

3 Likes

@Garry not if he subs out.

There is no way I would do that job with a ladder (boom lift either, was advising him if he went that route).
Because if it ain’t done on day one, day two is going to be excruciating on everyone. Fatigue will be a major factor and that job is going to be hell, especially if its hot.

You don’t need a wfp either, and really one needs to have a back up plan in case it don’t work (and sometimes they don’t).

If it were my gig, I’d wfp it. If it were me today after I got robbed, I’d sub it out to those that did and run the job.

My back up plan would be traditional pole work with a 2 man or 3 man team. One wets, one squeegees, last one details with a rag or whatever on the pole.

4 Likes

I get that, but I also get that work is work, and to say it can’t, or shouldn’t be done traditionally is defeatist thinking. In previous years such jobs existed without the advent of water fed poles, and it got done. So, a few days of hard work leaves one sore and achy - welcome to my world. You can dig a 8 foot by 8 foot hole 4 feet deep with a shovel, or a backhoe. But the job can be done either way; depends on the tools that you have.

2 Likes

Agreed. But why use a spoon to dig it with? You can use a regular pole with a squeegee to do it.

2 Likes

It looks like there may be screens on the second floor.

A side note:

Why do the two pics at the bottom look like they were just cleaned yesterday?

This is going to be a big learning experience for you. My opinion is a lift is a no go in a situation like this, hospitals water their grass religiously and if you plan on using a lift you’ll leave turns and tracks in the grass. first cleans are always the worst and should be done thoroughly, using a ladder with standouts and a helper to toss the ladder around is what I would do, then like many others have said, invest in a wfp. I think lifts take more time to maneuver than to just use a ladder. Is there any hard water deposit build up in some spots?

4 Likes

I totally agree there!

I would never think about renting a lift on this job in a million years. I feel a ladder is much faster and more cost effective allowing you to be more competitive and still not loose profit.

I agree with most here about the lift. I don’t know about the clay ground but do know that is some really green grass that looks like it’s been wated frequently. Your lift will sink, tear up the grass, leave marks at the very least.

I would never rent a ladder… go buy a 28’ or 32’, they are incredibly cheap in comparrison to a lift rental. if you are in such dire circumstances, go to family friends or worst case go to the building owner and ask for 50% down and the rest when you are done. If they won’t do that, I can almost gautentee they will do $350 to buy a ladder if you say that the alternative is a lift at a higher price.

As far as pricing, I feel you are pretty close if you take the lift rental out. You could charge more, but be prepared to clearly define the value they get for the extra money.

3 Likes

I agree with not using a lift on the grass, but no way is using ladders much faster than a lift.
, an secondly if that was all cement all you would need is a sizzer lift there. All one height
Somebody mentioned the heat , try doing 100 plus ladder jumps in 90 degree weather nit fun plus slows you down , but if that’s what has to be done then so be it. Using ladders you could still be profitable. Just bring have 2 guys doing the ladder work one on each end. I counted 50 jumps on that one run top row ,so 25 jumps each isn’t horrible.
I’ll be a monkeys uncle if 24’ ladders don’t get that. This hurts , but extension with a standoff is the way to go. Sectionals with a Stanoff is fine too

3 Likes

I absolutely feel repositioning a ladder is faster than repositioning a lift. The lift will have to be driven (moved) each time you are out of reach and hope for stable ground underneath; even clay based soil can have soft spots or uneven ground. Then there is the real chance of mucking up the grass with the wheels.

Instead of entering a race where you try to finish it before the 5:00 whistle blows, just set a steady pace and let it finish when it finishes and do a good job.

On a job like that, if you aren’t an expert at traditional poling, then the ladder and standoff is your friend. Poling or laddering, you will be spent at the end of the day and you want your last few windows to look as good as your first few.

Think about time and where the sun will be while you are working. Will starting on the East (sun comes up) side first work best for you, or starting on the West (sun burns hot in the afternoon) first a better plan? You have to work fast under the beating sun as it dries the windows.

3 Likes

Now that I think about it, all terrain scissor is the way to go.

Just make sure THE DAMN PANEL and JOYSTICK WORKS!

Hey @whitehorse67 where ya at. We’ve all but figured out how to do this job.

3 Likes

That’s a better option since you can get a bank of windows at once by extending the platform out. I’d still be worried about the grass but plywood would work. The problem is how even is that ground?

Scissors suck for uneven ground. Stupid safety features.

1 Like

Yeah I was going to ask why not pole this? I’ve had several buildings like this and with the 5 section unger pole I can reach with no problem

1 Like

cut out the 3rd man if you use the liquidators :wink:

i WISH we had 90 degree weather…

4 Likes

Ah. It’s cooling off.

2 Likes

Must have fell in your customer’s pool, too bad you forgot to leave your phone in your pocket. This heat is crazy. Tel me its a dry heat, go ahead.