Breakables?

Do you inform customers before a job in some type of way that they need to remove anything that is in the way of the window. Like couches, desks, etc. or breakables that are usally set on the sills of windows?

I always move things that are in the way of windows inside or out…Decks usually always have a lot of different things that get in the way of windows as well… I typically only have customers move breakable knick knacks or anything that is in the window sill/ledge. Customers have one of a kind items usually that cant be found anywhere else or replaced so that is the main reason why I have them do that not because I want to be lazy…

Oh hell yes. I don’t want to be the guy who breaks some priceless figurines of Elvis eating a hoagie.

It’s funny to see this thread name…

I took this picture this afternoon, so I would remember the (re)placement.

I have to remove the glass figures/plates/WhateverTheyAre’s
(hung from the window frames with fish line.)

• in order to remove the muntins
  • to clean the glass.

All without dripping on the giant ass white drapes.

And yes, that’s a piano right in the middle of it all… :rolleyes:

Quick question. I see some very expensive blinds underneath those windows. ???!??
Plastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Resource mobile app.

I did for the most part the first few times I did it,
but in general, I never come close to them.

That’s the one part that looks scarier than it is.

If I do get more excess than I’d like, I just catch it with my sponge.

The drop cloth is so we can lay the glass balls and stuff on top of the piano.
And the ones on the wood floor is just posturing.

I broke a sculpture once it cost $450 lady told me good thing it wasn’t the one next to it because it cost $4000. That was my first day on the job. Now I always make customers move expensive brakables.

I always ask my client to remove any valuable or fragile items away from the window. I usually try to remove any furniture myself as long as it isn’t a giant armoire or a king size sleigh bed.
JfromtheD - That looks like a big ol’ pain the ass, but at least the muntins come out, huh? It seems pianos are always right in front or right below a window. They drive me nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Window Cleaning Resource

As if the job wasn’t tedious to begin with. The piano is what takes the cake…

Like a big 100lb cherry on top of the cake.

I like [MENTION=20241]WinCleanPlus[/MENTION] attitude though, gotta look at the positive. :slight_smile:
(got no choice sometime)

Yeah, you should always ask the customer to remove their “valuables” from in front of the windows. Use the words “valuables” or “treasures” and NOT the words “junk” or “crap.”

You never know when something was passed on from who knows whom from whatever generation ago. Just because it looks like a broken toothbrush to you, doesn’t mean it wasn’t George Washington’s orange peeler…

That is the perfect use for a sectional ladder. It’s why I own one (but houses around here that look like that represent 1% of my jobs - but when you need it you really NEED it).

Are you still in Detroit??

Yes. But I did get a slight uncomfortable feeling. Not sure why…
The people who hired me said something about "Squatting."
Whatever THAT means.

And then there was the credit card that didn’t match the name.

• they said it was their cousin’s, they just misplaced theirs.

… and then they robbed me at gunpoint.

Nice people. Silly me, for doubting them. :slight_smile:

that’s bogus…do you have to take it down or can you pull it awys from the glass with one hand and clean with the other? and are those frenchies on both sides or just exterior side?

how is the customer going to move valuables when there located in the upper windows…lol they call us for a reason sometimes…

That’s great to here man, I use the same language during a quote when I spot breakables in the window…Its good to see and notice things ahead of time because if you don’t u pay for it…literally…

If it’s worth more than twenty bucks… Mm mamm could you move that for me please? Oh you have a bed and dresser in front of the windows… Can you move that too while you’re at it? Let me do some ADD ons while I’m here…

They are tight on the glass (the ornaments, that is.)
I could probably do a hold and clean, but the next move is angled to the center frame (to the right in this pic.)

• and at that point, I’d be doing a step off move, which is ok, but then I’d be grabbing and cleaning, etc…

It’s just easier to pull it all off and replace as I go.

The Muntins are the kind that kind that have that pointy thing that ‘gouges’ into the wood.
So they are super easy for window cleaners to remove (for a change), but a really dumb idea for the home owner.
And they are only on the inside. :slight_smile:

I charge him $110 for the inside of those six panes, the rest is outside and gutters,
(I have NO idea where I came up with that number, I must have discounted from $20 bucks/pane) :confused:

Yeah, but then it comes under the WYUT (while you’re up there) fee. Most of the “valuables” I’ve dealt with were about the height of a little old lady. I was cleaning this one house (what is this sticky stuff on the window? Oh, it’s hair spray to kill the ants) and this lady had a window FULL of stuff. Rows of ceramic fragile stuff. I asked the grand daughter if she wouldn’t mind taking the stuff down and she was happy to do so. Then if the stuff wasn’t in the right order upon set back, it wasn’t on me.

I want nothing to do with moving glass or ceramic if I can get around it… Of course I do if I need to but if I can pawn it off on them… Absolutely…