Buffering Hard Water Stains

Hey everyone. I’m going to doing a big water stain removal job that has stains from 10+ years on a commercial building. I cleaned two by hand and it was murder. If I used a buffer, what kind should I use and how much should I charge?

Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

Mr. Glass

https://shopwindowcleaner.com/glass-renu-scratch-removal-system.html

Renu system is a little over kill for removing hard water.

May be over kill but it’s a great system to have. Allows you to expand your services.

If you are just trying to remove the stains, you may be able to get away with a makita 9227c, a warrior pad from harbor freight tools and some cerium oxide. But it may be necessary to remove glass stock if its too bad. Do you have any pics?

2 Likes

Mr. Hardwater removal and charge $60.00 per pane if the pane is 3x3 or smaller

2 Likes

@starbrite’s suggestion is what I use, JFlint kit aka Mr. Hardwater. For a 3x3 that is $6.66666667 per sq ft :sunglasses:. For heavy stains on resi Im higher than that but commercial may be different. You can also test a 1x1 piece on one of the heaviest sections to calculate how long it takes to clear, and then figure up a round sq ft estimate of the total job to get $100 per hr, or whatever you want to make for HWR. That is one option. All you need is a rotary polisher / pads / polish…unless as was mentioned the stains are too deep and then you could use GR.

3 Likes

I have a video I took that I can post. I wonder if the glass renu may be the way to go since I’m etching the glass to get rid of the stains anyways, but I can’t afford it right now.

I talked with the property manager about it and he said he’d rather live with the etching than the stains because they’re less noticeable. I ask Alex @ WCRA and he suggested diamond dust which worked really good. And since the sprinklers are going to keep hitting it over time I used Mr. Hardwater Glass Sealer so it won’t again happen anytime soon.

2 Likes

Here are my before and after pics. The clean one was done by hand with bronze wool in small circular motions. It took me maybe an hour or a little more to remove the stains, seal, and clean 2 windows.

The “before” is closer to the ground where it was hit more often with the sprinklers, but the “after” is right above it and wasn’t as bad.

1 Like

Do you have pis for the lower part of the window “after”?

Like @wws said makita 9227c, yellow pad and some cerium oxide works wonders on hard water stains. We do a ton of this work, I would say at least 80% of our new residential in coming jobs have hard water stain.

No, I don’t have an “after” pic of the lower one because it wasn’t coming off by hand. That’s why I put the question on the forum to ask for advice about using a buffering system.

I have a Masterforce Impact Driver and Drill/Driver from Menards that I was going to use for the buffering pads.

Impact and glass don’t mix, don’t let that switch slip on by accident.

1 Like

Wow, nice piece of err engineering there.

WCR makes an adapter for drills. It’d be cheaper than spending $200.00 on a buffer.

Would you happen to know how long the bronze wool pads might last? I use the pads by hand and they work pretty good.

I cant give “might last” idea, it really depend on how bad the staining is on how long the those pads will last.

4 Likes

Magnificent!

1 Like

I used Mr Hard water

3 Likes

Even cleaned up the frames

3 Likes

Nice work.

1 Like