Can hardly stop em!

Just a safety reminder. We had two sheriffs, with their cruisers, working with us on this job. We mostly only had one lane closed, but briefly had to close the entire street, due to the tailswing of the 120’ lift we were using sticking out into the left lane. We had all entrances to the street blocked with wood barricades, signs, cones, and a sheriff at each end, with every light on their cars on, parked sideways to complete block the road, lights and warning tone on the lift enabled, and one of our trucks with LED flashers blazing.

After a few minutes, I look down from the roof of the building to see a white Hyundai Elantra very slowly driving UNDER the counterweight, antenna scraping the underside of the lift turret. We have no idea where he came from; must’ve drove through a yard or something. The entire closed section of street was only 300 yards long, so nobody knows. I didn’t breath until he cleared the machine (I’ve been hit in a lift). Two lessons: There are idiots behind the wheel everywhere, and they will find your jobsite if you must setup traffic control. You can’t over guard, bock, stop, signal, flag, etc. …and even then…

wow, glad it worked out ok. That’s a lot of idiot-proofing you did… and still idiots will find a way. Determined, these idiots are!

they’re everywhere…

Fail-safe method will probably find a way to fail anyway :D.