Can I place a ladder against a glass window

6 in one… maybe even the tops of the main floor windows. A 28’ ladder should be standard for most people but what a nice job for wfp.

I agree with Mike in post 20. If you place the ladder above the windows you could get them all in 2 trips. You might even be able to reach the top if you place the ladder just below. Probably not, but you never know.

Mike if you read my post, the yard in the front of the houses is way to small. Logic says you would go over the window, everyone knows that, the ladder would be no where near 75 degrees. To dangerous.

On your statement about making a thread about something so basic, I thought that is one of the main reasons forums excist, so people can ask (If need be, “basic”) questions, and members help each other.

sethfenster thought I put the ladder straight up, he did not turn around and say “you fool” even thought he must have thought it, he give me advice on how to make sure the ladder is at 75 degrees, even thought its a basic requirment for people climbing ladders to have them at 75 degrees, he give the advice politely and did not make me feel like a fool.

All the other guys also give me good advice which I am thankful. Its nice to be able to ask questions without thinking will I look foolish asking this question.

Macroom (Pat) will you be looking at the match on sunday ?

Absolutely!

I don’t see anything in your original post that says the yard is too small to use an extension ladder…or in your 2nd, 3rd and 4th post either.

In the picture you provided the yard looks fine but I’ll take your word that you cannot put a ladder to the inside of the wall. How about the outside? Maybe over the black iron fence… have some one foot it?

One other thing, I would NOT use any sort of ladder stand off to the sides of the windows. The frame is too narrow and one little slip and you’re ladder could twist and you could fall. I might use one underneath the windows though, that way you can climb higher up and pole the tops.

I would just pole it trad style if you don’t have wfp.

Would you lean the ladder against the window in anyway if it was your new home? If you had taken the time to choose the best windows your hard earned money could afford?

Exactly! Why don’t more people use poles?! It save so much time and is a lot safer. I’ve heard the excuses: “Pole work is too sloppy”, “Ladders are more professional”, whatever… My poles are extensions of my arms! Do it right and there will be no problems!

1 Like

Agreed. I always turn to the pole when safety is an issue.

Hey Michele,
Your post got me thinking. Perhaps the guys who say they can do a much better job from a ladder than with a pole are right … only because they’re not very good with a long pole. Just how good are you guys who pole 2nd floor windows? Personally I always thought you had to ladder up to do a great job. Perhaps I need to take my pole work to the next level. Do your windows really come out just as good with a pole as from a ladder?

Hey Mark,
Your post got my attention as well because I know you and I’ve seen you work on the training video you sell. You seem like a quality before speed kinda guy so I’m looking forward to your reply as well as Michele’s.

+1.

I was practicing my second story pole work the other day…

They looked cleaner before I arrived.

Exactly. Perhaps we just suck at pole work. It’s hard for me to admit this because I’m a storefront guy who does residential windows on the side not the other way around. Fifteen years experience so I always thought I was really good with a pole. I don’t think I have ever poled a residential window and been truelly happy with the outcome.

IMO there is just too much flex over a pole that is extented 25 feet.

reaction time from hand to end of pole is around ~.5 Seconds.

I know it can be done but not worth my time just yet.

I just don’t have the time to practice it. Maybe in the slow winter months I’ll run some of my own training programs.

IMO the problem with trying to pole residential windows is the depth of the edges, on commercial there is usually an edge on the side of the window that you can ride the squeegee on, on resi its usually a shallow edge with a slanted rubber gasket that the squeegee will ride up on, For me poling a resi window would be the last option, but as the lawyers say " your results may vary"

[SIZE=“4”][/SIZE][COLOR=“red”][/COLOR]

I’m Dangerous,but Yawl can call me Dange…

To answer your question with common sense…

[SIZE=“7”][COLOR=“red”]NO ![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Dangerous

Hey Mike,

My approach to high residential windows is always “ladder when you can” and pole when you can’t. (obstacles/safety issues, etc.) On a typical 2 or 3 storey home where I need to bring in the pole, it will usually only be for a couple of windows. Because I am a “quality before speed” kinda guy, it will usually take me at least twice as long to clean that window to my satisfaction. It’s worth it where safety is concerned.

Tips for high poling include;
• making sure your pole sections are tightened enough so that they don’t turn while you’re squeegeeing.
• making sure your squeegee is secure on the pole tip and won’t turn/spin while working.
• making sure you have a quality strip of rubber in your channel.
• making sure there is no debris on your rubber.
• use a ledger or angle adapter to get over ledges. Wagtails squeegees work quite well with angle adapters over deep ledges.
• detail all 4 edges with a fresh lint free detailing cloth wrapped around your pole tip.
• make sure there is nothing on the ground area around you that might trip you up or prevent you from pulling your squeegee down in one complete pass.

Great reply Mark,
So I guess this means you’re not a nija squeegee master who can clean 2nd floor windows with a pole faster and better than the rest of us can nose to the glass from a ladder? The long list of tips was helpful. Thanks.

That actually helped me to, the tip about the wagtail anyway. I might give one of those things a try next time I make an order, they look kind of weird like they’d splash your windows. Whenever I have poled, I wet, bring the pole down, switch to a squeegee. Or there’s two of us, one scrubs one squeegees.

That being said, I’m with the guy, whoever said they don’t pole on residentials. For me it’s always the last option, mostly because it takes so long detailing, on commercial I rarely detail.

Hay guys !! Who determines qualty ??? There’s a place for Poleing and Ladders. You got a learning curve on both !! Then again i haven’t fell off my pole either !! You have to have more tools for poles the higher u get and how far in set the frame is !! Then again it wp time too !! Stan, Pro Window Kleening, 28 years and PROUD SORBO USER

I’ve used a Werner 97P stabilizer with pad on commercial CCU work – one side on the frame and the other on the glass (too high for my sectionals; wider than the 97P span.)