CCU Help!

Just got a CCU job for a local franchise I’ve been doing business with since I started my business a year and a half ago. I’ve done a few CCU jobs here and there since I started, no problem, but this one was accompanied by paint and hard construction residue on the frames (which is surprisingly a first). What do I do?! All advice is welcome!

What a pickle. Thanks again to Professional painters. One could do an essay on how much does it matter to the owners. How perfect does it have to be? Will you be held responsible if not perfect? Let the powers that be know you are not responsible for other folks mistakes. That being said, start light and go from there. Warm soapy water could remove paint, but anything you do could mar factory finishes. Start with Neutral Cleaners. Krud Kutter is good stuff. Then there is Goof Off. The hard residue may be grime, which will respond to soap and water…and go up from there. Mr. Clean pads are miracle workers, but can also mar finishes.
Concrete on glass will pull the glass off where it sticks. Muratic acid can mark glass. Hopefully Real pro will chime in and address the hope of removing muratic acid etch. I never could. Lots of soap and water, lots of wipers, lots of passes. Power washing? Less is better. Wipe. Wipe. Wipe. How perfect does it have to be?

1 Like

I’m looking for the right emoji…

2 Likes

Communication is the key.

See with new construction, the prime contractor knows that there are going to issues that cost money. Many variables that can’t all be accounted for.

What might be a good idea on this one? If I were you I’d document every issue you have, and next to it put how you dealt with it, and then how you SHOULD have dealt with it.

Don’t be embarrassed to just flat out tell first the one who is subbing you out, give him a few hours to sort it out.

What you might want to say is “You know there are a couple areas that are really are messed up and wasn’t seen when I walked it or simply wasnt there. I already did x amount and didn’t say anything but my price is given based on how long a job will take and this job is now taking me alot longer due to someone else’s screw up. What should I do here? I can’t keep the same price at this point or I’ll be taking a beating from my wife”.

See what they say. They should be going to the prime and working it out with them.

If they don’t do anything for you and say its in your bid…tell them that the prime should backcharge the painters for not protecting the glass. When they tell your contact that the painters will be out tomorrow to clean it up, thats when you tell your contact AND the foreman on site that the painters are going to be pissed and probably will scratch every piece of glass they touch.

You SHOULD get a bump in your price, but have one ready to give.

Document everything on this gig. When its over, and you get a days rest, add it to your operations manual on how to deal with ccu’s.

Make sure you put ideas on how to eliminate the issue on the next ccu.

You’ll amaze yourself and more than likely you clients as well.

2 Likes

Before accepting the job have an agreement signed that you are not responsible for damage of material left on windows, and that you will strive at all points to clean as carefully as possible to the best of your ability using standard material and procedures available for the industry.

Good luck and price it right.

http://www.sparklewindowcleaning.net/construction.htm

http://www.iwca.org/page/TemperedGlassWaiver

http://www.thefieldsco.com/index.php?page=construction-window-cleaning-basics

2 Likes

Are you asking how to clean, how to bid, or what?

1 Like

Lol how to clean! Thanks for touching on that. The windows themselves weren’t half bad. It was the black commercial frames that got it the worst. I’m guessing they had the glass covered, but not the frames.

Thanks to all for the advice and helpful tips! Just really trying to figure out how to clean up these frames!

You mean this one?:ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

it all comes down the the material the frames are, are they vinyl, painted, brushed aluminum, powder coated?
I would advice not to use a blade on the frames, if they are brushed , vinyl or powder coated I would use a graffiti remover, the yellow or green so safe would most likely work.

1 Like

I think they’re brushed aluminum?

It’s probably duct tape on the sills, contractors love it but it’s a pain to get off. Get yourself some goo gone, goof off or whatever the name is - it comes in a little tin can. That’s the good stuff. A little dab will do you.

For drywall compound and whatnot, use a damp microfiber.

For stickers and butyl, use a razor.

For zombies, use a headshot.

1 Like

Lol thanks man! Should I be able to find the “goo gone/ goof off” at Home Depot?

Yes.

1 Like

Brushed aluminum will respond to Mr. Clean Pads. I’ve used alcohol and just soap and water. No acid. Wipe area dry after working frame area. No grit, it will scratch. Yeah, laugh at cleaning; people think cleaning is a no brainer until someone that doesn’t know what they’re doing cleans. Cheers. Oh, and yes on Home Depot.

2 Likes